Sponsored

Diesel is the best engine option.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Subjective thread is subjective.

I'm glad you are enjoying your diesel. They are not for me.

Here is my take:
Overheating, VM reliability woes, emissions, DEF, heavy, doesn't increase towing or payload, $4,000 buys a lot of gasoline, more expensive maintenance, 18 gallon tank, less diesel pumps, diesel is more expensive than 93 here.

Thankfully we have the option to chose.
👍 plus when you have problems the service departments have no idea. how to fix them.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
As has already been said, before the Federal Government took the balls out of diesel engines then yes, it was the best option, for a WORK vehicle. I don't mean for a job but to work the vehicle.
Back then it was nothing to get 500,000-1,000,000 miles out of a diesel engine by just doing basic maintenance when it was time.

NOW, not so much. With all the emissions crap, added fluids to control emissions, more internal heat, lack of lubricity from the fuel, and you have a troublesome power plant.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I do mostly short trips so a Diesel would not be a good fit for me. I also do not tow.
Why? I'm in cities and driving short trips daily. My oil analysis looks awesome and my fuel dilusion is below 0.5% at the end of a cycle. I've heard the constant "diesels aren't good for short drives" misinformation passed around a lot. Never have seen one person on any forum provide evidence as to why.

Now let's address some other misinformation in this thread.

As far as the argument about "tows less".. no it doesn't. Diesels have more payload in every trim except some Sport models. More payload directly translates into more towing capacity. It doesn't matter that a diesel is rated 6,500 and a gas is rated 7,000 GTW. The lower payload on the gas engine means that you'll run out of legal towing faster, which means the diesel tows MORE in the real world. And, the diesel will tow MUCH more effortlessly at a lower RPM which is less fatiguing for the driver, occupants, and the powertrain.

As far as the argument, "they're less reliable"... Open up Google and type in "Jeep 3.6 valvetrain failure" and watch your screen blow up. I'll leave it at that.

"18 gallon tank" OK... but you're getting a real world SIX more miles per gallon, so your range is still farther.

"Parts are expensive" Yeah but you've got 40,000 miles more factory warranty. Who keeps a Jeep past 100,000 miles anyway?

"Emissions" Yeah the EPA blows. But the Gen 3 engine has low pressure EGR that's used almost exclusively once the engine is up to operating temp, which means the air being forced back into the engine is much cleaner than on prior diesels. Use the correct oil and change before 10k like the manual says and you'll likely never see a problem with the emissions system.

"DEF fluid" OK so it's $7.50 for a 2.5 gallon jug at Walmart that'll last you 5,000 miles. If that is going to ruin your checking account you bought the wrong vehicle.

I agree diesel isn't going to save money. I've been saying that since the beginning. But 70% more torque and 30% more fuel economy is something that nobody should pass up when buying one of these Jeeps.

Sponsored

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
I opted for the diesel because it drives a lot better. I agree with the OP, it feels more premium. The 3.6 engine and the other 8 speed trans feel like a Chrysler minivan. I hate that engine. I had many minivan rentals while traveling and they suck. The transmissions especially. Feels like a rubber band

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I opted for the diesel because it drives a lot better. I agree with the OP, it feels more premium. The 3.6 engine and the other 8 speed trans feel like a Chrysler minivan. I hate that engine. I had many minivan rentals while traveling and they suck. The transmissions especially. Feels like a rubber band
The other 8 speed? Don't all the automatic wranglers/gladiators have the same 8 speed? The minivan has a 9 speed. The 3.6 engine is used in way more Rams, Wranglers, Chargers, Challengers, and Gladiators, Grand Cherokees, and Durangos than it is mini vans.

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
The other 8 speed? Don't all the automatic wranglers/gladiators have the same 8 speed? The minivan has a 9 speed. The 3.6 engine is used in way more Rams, Wranglers, Chargers, Challengers, and Gladiators, Grand Cherokees, and Durangos than it is mini vans.
I drove 2018, 2019, 2020 Dodge/chrysler minivans. Journey or whatever they're called. It's also used in the Promasters and sucks even more there. The trans isn't the same as the diesel.
The 8 speed on the diesel you don't even it shifted.

Tanners Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired Soldier and DAC
I do mostly short trips so a Diesel would not be a good fit for me. I also do not tow.
Me too. For my needs the gas engine satisfied all requirements. Diesel really added more than I needed , especially in buying cost and maintenance costs.

This doesn’t mean the diesel isn’t right for you, it just isn’t the best for me & my needs.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I drove 2018, 2019, 2020 Dodge/chrysler minivans. Journey or whatever they're called. It's also used in the Promasters and sucks even more there. The trans isn't the same as the diesel.
The 8 speed on the diesel you don't even it shifted.
Chrysler uses the same engines across the board. As does every other manufacturer on earth, but that doesn't make it a minivan engine. Based on numbers, it's mostly a Wrangler/Challenger/Charger/300/Ram 1500 engine. It's just an engine. One that is used in way more "not minivans" than it is minivans. Both transmissions are derived from the zf 8hp. I'm sure someone well versed in the differences will chime in, but they are largely similar. The diesel version is obviously built and programmed to handle more torque, because diesel. But it's not a fundamentally different transmission.

OP
OP

Aa001206

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Subjective thread is subjective.

I'm glad you are enjoying your diesel. They are not for me.

Here is my take:
Overheating, VM reliability woes, emissions, DEF, heavy, doesn't increase towing or payload, $4,000 buys a lot of gasoline, more expensive maintenance, 18 gallon tank, less diesel pumps, diesel is more expensive than 93 here.

Thankfully we have the option to chose.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Chrysler uses the same engines across the board. As does every other manufacturer on earth, but that doesn't make it a minivan engine. Based on numbers, it's mostly a Wrangler/Challenger/Charger/300/Ram 1500 engine. It's just an engine. One that is used in way more "not minivans" than it is minivans. Both transmissions are derived from the zf 8hp. I'm sure someone well versed in the differences will chime in, but they are largely similar. The diesel version is obviously built and programmed to handle more torque, because diesel. But it's not a fundamentally different transmission.
Similar yes, different internals and programming makes some differences on the transmissions.
Reading this thread made me think how many European vehicles are sold as diesels. Even the same models as in North America that aren’t available here with a diesel.
They like their diesels there because…..? Price of fuel?

OP
OP

Aa001206

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Financial Advisor
When you get 25.5 Mpg around town and 30 on the highway, the slightly smaller tank in not an issue. How is your MPG? DEF cost $22 every 6000 miles and diesel is available at 95% of stations that I've been to. Here in Western New York, diesel is .05 cents more than regular and way less than premium- and did I mention 442 lb ft of torque???
Sponsored