Sponsored

diesel oil filter tips?

Sting-Gray Neutral Pres.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport Diesel
Did my first oil change, and despite my best effort with towels jammed below still had a bit of oil spill out of the crazy 45 degree oil filter housing and down all the shiny new parts. Any tips on how to avoid this in the future?

Also holy hell that is the worst *#$%ing clearance I have ever seen for an oil filter R&R.
Sponsored

merc3065

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Diesel
Had same problem on my first oil change. Wait 20-30 mins after running to let the pressure bleed down. Open the drain plug, open the oil cap, with towels around the housing, slightly open the oil filter housing. Let it bleed off any residual pressure and drain oil down. This should avoid majority if not all of the spillage. It’s a mess because it tends to dribble down onto everything.

other than that…good luck and just be careful when pulling the filter out as the bottom part of the filter housing still will almost be full.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Here's how i've been doing it without a single drop.
1. Open filler cap
2. Drain the oil
3. Slowly back out the filter cap just before the big oring pop out from the housing. This will break the smaller output oring seal and allow the oil to drain into the oil pan
4. Go prep the new filter. To prevent a dry starting, pour about 3-4oz of fresh oil into the filter, tilt 45 degree and spin it around to let it absorb
5. Undo the filter, pull and slowly flipping it upside down with the cap thread leaning on the housing. This allows any remaining oil in the cap to drain into the housing.

I find Simple Green works really well with cleaning oil spills. Just spray on and rinse off with water.

Edit: Damn it didn't realized it's an old ass thread 😂
Sponsored