First Name
Sunil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750i
Occupation
President
Thinking of ordering 2022 gladiator. I drove a wrangler 4xe and was happy with the power. Is the diesel much better in terms of reliability, efficiency, etc
Sponsored

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
Man I don't own a diesel, but I think this is a no-brainer. The hybrid buys you 15 miles on a charge, if it's like the Wrangler. And the batteries likely chew up a lot of payload capability, although I don't know that for sure. I think Jeep has a long way to go before they are taken seriously in the hybrid market.....when they get the Gladiator to where it can get 350 miles on a charge, like the F150 Lightning, then maybe I'll change my mind.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I would imagine the reliability factor would lean towards the hybrid if any direction between the diesel and 4xe but who knows. This redesigned 3.0 diesel and the 4xe are new powertrains and havenā€™t really been tested through time.

Efficiency depends I guess. How often does the hybrid battery need to be replaced? Is the 2.0L reliable? How long will the diesel emissions equipment hold up? Itā€™s a lot to think about. Hopefully someone on the forum has more experience with both though.

Iā€™ve never heard anything bad from hybrid vehicle owners though. This is because hybrid vehicles are typically more reliable than their gasoline and diesel counterparts. The hybrid is much faster too if you care about that at all.

Edit: I forgot to mention fuel. The diesel would definitely be cheaper where I live (Texas). Premium fuel might as well be liquid gold which is required for the 4xeā€™s 2.0L.

OP
OP

Macmann

First Name
Sunil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750i
Occupation
President
Does anyone know where the diesel came from? The Mercedes merger back in the day?

99ls1tj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Occupation
machinist
Does anyone know where the diesel came from? The Mercedes merger back in the day?
Itā€˜s Italian made. No connection to the Mercedes diesel that Iā€™m aware of.

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
3900 miles on my Sport S Ecodiesel. Can't be happier. Average over those miles 27 mpg. No complaints so far.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Iā€™m biased. Go diesel.

440lbsft torque is quite nice.

im a rock solid 19mpg in the city with a lift and 35s, and a heavy right foot.

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
The publics obsession with electric power without the curiosity of the cost to replace batteries is more interesting to me than the prospect of a hybrid jeep.

The only electric 4x4 I thought was interesting was the Bollinger B1, but its price tag is only for the most eco-conscious among us.

Barbarian

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jtur diesel 21
Occupation
Business
Think about this for a minute. Your in Texas in July its 110 with high humidity and your Driving with your Elderly Parents. Flat tire you need to leave Engine running to have A/C. Ditto Wyoming in winter. Evs dont cut it for those conditions.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Think about this for a minute. Your in Texas in July its 110 with high humidity and your Driving with your Elderly Parents. Flat tire you need to leave Engine running to have A/C. Ditto Wyoming in winter. Evs dont cut it for those conditions.
I don't know about winter, but I do know that an EV's ac still works very well in the heat. I think in winter the only concern would be shortened range. But the 4xe is a plug-in hybrid anyway, not a pure EV, so it has a gas engine still that you can switch to whenever you want, so you can leave it in full electric, gas only, or auto.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Efficiency depends I guess. How often does the hybrid battery need to be replaced? Is the 2.0L reliable? How long will the diesel emissions equipment hold up? Itā€™s a lot to think about. Hopefully someone on the forum has more experience with both though.

Edit: I forgot to mention fuel. The diesel would definitely be cheaper where I live (Texas). Premium fuel might as well be liquid gold which is required for the 4xeā€™s 2.0L.
Depending on your local utility rates, the 4xe costs $0.10 to $0.12 per mile to operate. If most guys do the math, they'll find the diesel to be right on the money here too. So there isn't any efficiency advantage to the 4xe. However, the 4xe has to be "filled" FAR more often which most people will find to be annoying.

VM started making diesels after WWII. They already had decades of experience building diesel engines by the time Detroit Diesel bought them in the 1980s. For a long while, Detroit Diesel/General Motors basically controlled the VM engine line. Then in the 2000s Chrysler bought the rights and they've been using VM diesels in every vehicle they make that offers diesel power since then, with the exception of the Cummins in the Ram HD line due to that contract going all the way back to 1988.

This current Gen 3 EcoDiesel is an 80% brand new design. It's supposed to be the cure for all the emissions issues and engine failures that the Gen 2 engine had.

The 4xe on the other hand is totally brand new and unproven. Long term, it's a gamble.

And, we don't even know that there will be a Gladiator 4xe. They don't have any room within the confines of GVWR in the midsize category to handle another 700 lbs. of weight from the battery pack and motors. I'm not sure how they could build a 4xe JT that has usable payload capacity.

Haley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 1981 CJ8
Occupation
Landscaping
I don't know about winter, but I do know that an EV's ac still works very well in the heat. I think in winter the only concern would be shortened range. But the 4xe is a plug-in hybrid anyway, not a pure EV, so it has a gas engine still that you can switch to whenever you want, so you can leave it in full electric, gas only, or auto.
I've lost track of all the reports of elderly people dying on the side of the road next to their Tesla in Texas.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've lost track of all the reports of elderly people dying on the side of the road next to their Tesla in Texas.
That only happens when they crash them and the electronic doors won't open for firefighters.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Really, that's awful. What's happening with them? Running out of battery? Quality issues? Should not be an issue on the jeep 4xe still though because it's a hybrid, not a pure EV.

Haley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 1981 CJ8
Occupation
Landscaping
Really, that's awful. What's happening with them? Running out of battery? Quality issues? Should not be an issue on the jeep 4xe still though because it's a hybrid, not a pure EV.
That was a joke, son.
Sponsored