Sponsored

Diesel owners with a Clayton Lift kit-- I need help...

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Got a Clayton 2.5" Overland PLUS kit AND new Fox shocks for a 2021 JTR DIESEL and having some front end on-road ride quality problems that we (Clayton Off-road/my installer) are having a hard time identifying. For starters-- here's what I've got, 3.5" springs up front, 2.5" in rear and all running on 2-3 inch Fox Shocks...

Working with Clayton and Adam-- I've taken a lot of measurements. Shock pistons on front are at 6.5" of stretch. Upper control arm measurements are solid. Not sure what else to do. Alignment caster/camber numbers are within range but every time either front tire hits pothole or medium to large bump the front end of the Jeep reacts in an unsettled, side-to-side not solid feeling... I don't know how to explain it any different than that.

Not my first Jeep or lift-- this is number 5...

PREFERENCE ON INFO SPECIFICALLY FROM DIESEL OWNERS WITH CLAYTON LIFTS...
Sponsored

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Think it was Adam that helped me.. had the same issue and the upper control arms were to long.. Shortened them up and now its good except a slight pull and steering wheel is off a hair but I will take it back to the alignment shop

Post some pics of everything.. maybe we can help.. maybe the shocks are to soft?

I went with Falcon 3.5.. Awesome ride... Now that I have the darting under control.

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Yes, pics needed. Have you checked your track bar and both the axle and frame mounts? I mean bolts are tight and brackets are not broken.

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Also did you leave everything loose and lower it, Jump up and down on the front then rear and then tighten? Maybe you have something bound up? Also are the upper and lower arms the correct direction (Swoop down and not up). Just talking out loud at this point.

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
Got a Clayton 2.5" Overland PLUS kit AND new Fox shocks for a 2021 JTR DIESEL and having some front end on-road ride quality problems that we (Clayton Off-road/my installer) are having a hard time identifying. For starters-- here's what I've got, 3.5" springs up front, 2.5" in rear and all running on 2-3 inch Fox Shocks...

Working with Clayton and Adam-- I've taken a lot of measurements. Shock pistons on front are at 6.5" of stretch. Upper control arm measurements are solid. Not sure what else to do. Alignment caster/camber numbers are within range but every time either front tire hits pothole or medium to large bump the front end of the Jeep reacts in an unsettled, side-to-side not solid feeling... I don't know how to explain it any different than that.

so I had the same issue, diesel high altitude 20" wheels.. it road like shit to start, bone stock.. I added 35's, still bad.. installed a leveling spacer, still shit ride. bought teraflex springs, rc lowers control arms and rc trackbar, still road horrible and did exactly the same discription as you described above, lots of RR crossing in the area..
Finally I saw @KurtP post about his Mojave lift components, the one item that you don't hear enough about are the geometry correction brackets, AEV, RC and another company make them, they range from 100-300 a set.. This will relocate your lower control arms parallel to the ground which will change the angle of impact via the control arm to the frame over the pot holes and RR crossing... 17" wheels are a diffenent plus to the jeep suspension and provide a little xtra cushion..

Sponsored

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I have the same lift with 17" wheels.. Mine rides great.. Drives great ..After I got the geometry right after the lift install.

OP
OP
aevgladitorrubi

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Think it was Adam that helped me.. had the same issue and the upper control arms were to long.. Shortened them up and now its good except a slight pull and steering wheel is off a hair but I will take it back to the alignment shop

Post some pics of everything.. maybe we can help.. maybe the shocks are to soft?

I went with Falcon 3.5.. Awesome ride... Now that I have the darting under control.
Been working with both Adam and Clayton-- arm length addressed, measured and appropriate... wanted the Falcon, but really advocated the Fox and the Falcon's were way backordered as well...

OP
OP
aevgladitorrubi

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Also did you leave everything loose and lower it, Jump up and down on the front then rear and then tighten? Maybe you have something bound up? Also are the upper and lower arms the correct direction (Swoop down and not up). Just talking out loud at this point.
Was installed by a very experienced dealership and tech who has built all of my other Jeeps.

OP
OP
aevgladitorrubi

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase

SO, NO ONE THINKS THAT IT'S WEIRD THAT I HAVE 3.5" SPRINGS IN FRONT, BUT THAT THE FOX SHOCKS ARE ONLY 3" OF TRAVEL?

Micky

First Name
Micky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlur
I doubt fox makes a shock with 3” of travel. Factory shocks have more than that, likely your shocks are for 2-3” of lift.

Sponsored

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
I know it is not a diesel. Just going to add this in for ride quality. I have a 5.7 Hemi installed in my 2020 Gladiator and they installed a set of 3.5 Clayton diesel front springs, hemi's are heavier than the V6 obviously.
Mine rides great and I have no issues or noises. The rest of the lift is a Rock Krawler no limits with adjustable uppers in front and new track bar and RRD shocks.

When I first read your post I looked at that shock stroke, you may want to really question that. I looked on Rancho's site and they range from 7.05" to 8.46" in stroke. My shocks have 12". So maybe you are bottoming out those shocks and forcing the axle one way or the other.

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Sorry, I didnt measure my shocks and I have the diesel.. With that said when I work on anything that has turned into a problem I tell my guys "We start with the basics and DO Not Assume anything"

Start from the beginning and start over. I never checked How much travel I have.. But Adam is proficient.. If you ordered the kit from him and he sees no problem with the parts you have (but mistakes are made ) maybe do a run through of parts and dbl check.. Check the shocks again and make sure they are the correct ones...

But again NEVER ASSUME... Just because you had a company do it that has done it before doesnt mean much when you have a problem...Think about it

If they are as good as you say? why is there a problem? and they can figure it out.. Again I stress the point of not assuming.. Something isnt correct....Pay another shop to look it over and drive it..

OP
OP
aevgladitorrubi

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I didnt measure my shocks and I have the diesel.. With that said when I work on anything that has turned into a problem I tell my guys "We start with the basics and DO Not Assume anything"

Start from the beginning and start over. I never checked How much travel I have.. But Adam is proficient.. If you ordered the kit from him and he sees no problem with the parts you have (but mistakes are made ) maybe do a run through of parts and dbl check.. Check the shocks again and make sure they are the correct ones...

But again NEVER ASSUME... Just because you had a company do it that has done it before doesnt mean much when you have a problem...Think about it

If they are as good as you say? why is there a problem? and they can figure it out.. Again I stress the point of not assuming.. Something isnt correct....Pay another shop to look it over and drive it..
So, I feel like I am not being clear-- I ordered what Clayton told me to order, and got what Clayton told me to order. You have two Fox shock options-- 2-3 inches OR 3.5-4. But the conundrum is... bc I have a diesel (which is 400 lbs heavier), they told me to get the 3.5' springs, but also told me to order the 2-3 inch travel Fox shocks. I was also concerned about what I read about the Fox's being too soft and bouncy, and I was talked into them and not the Falcon's that I wanted... I do appreciate all the feedback, just seems like a shock length and overall stiffness mismatch. 90/10 onroad to offroad driving. Not my first Jeep or lift.

OP
OP
aevgladitorrubi

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
So, I feel like I am not being clear-- I ordered what Clayton told me to order, and got what Clayton told me to order. You have two Fox shock options-- 2-3 inches OR 3.5-4. But the conundrum is... bc I have a diesel (which is 400 lbs heavier), they told me to get the 3.5' springs, but also told me to order the 2-3 inch travel Fox shocks. I was also concerned about what I read about the Fox's being too soft and bouncy, and I was talked into them and not the Falcon's that I wanted... I do appreciate all the feedback, just seems like a shock length and overall stiffness mismatch. 90/10 onroad to offroad driving. Not my first Jeep or lift.
When I mean length-- I should be more clear and state, travel...

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
The “2-3” inch shocks does not reference travel. That is referring to the amount of lift. As in, if your lift kit is 2” then you would pair them with the 2-3” shocks rather than the 3.5~4.

Claytkns springs are not diesel specific. They are designed for the gas. For this reason, they recommend the 3.5 up front as it could sag an inch.

OP, does your truck have any rake? Is it nose up (squatting in the rear)?

Sounds almost like a bad shock at one corner. I’d swap the front shocks side to side. See if that changes the dynamic.

Put the stock shocks back on the front, drive it around the block, make any difference? Then try the same with the rear.
Sponsored