Diesel Sport vs Rubicon

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
I’m interested in a Rubicon Diesel. I’m deciding if it’s really worth the extra $$ for the diesel and want to do a test drive. I’ve driven an Overland v6 (this was when the Gladiators first came out for sale) but never a rubicon. If the dealership has a Sport Diesel, drivability wise will I notice anything different from a Sport vs a Rubicon? There are no diesel Rubicon’s around me and I would just order it but I wanted to see what you guys think of the difference in the drive in the streets with a sport vs rubicon. The extra torque and power is appealing.
Sponsored

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
Make sure you do your research will. Plenty of gen 3 diesel engines have oil leaks issues. No doubt diesel jeep is a better drive. But can u afford the Jeep to stay in dealership periodically....

OP
OP
calicorks

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
Make sure you do your research will. Plenty of gen 3 diesel engines have oil leaks issues. No doubt diesel jeep is a better drive. But can u afford the Jeep to stay in dealership periodically....
As I do appreciate your in put, my question was on drive ability, not reliability.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
The sport should drive pretty much the same. The rubi is heavier; how much this affects handling? I dunno. Probably almost imperceptible.

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Main difference is going to be no lockers and the 4:1 transfer case.

Do you need lockers?

Check out the Freedom edition. Comes with rubicon steel bumpers, rock rails, and LEDs.
If I were buying on with a diesel that trim level is what I would choose.

Sponsored

OP
OP
calicorks

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
Main difference is going to be no lockers and the 4:1 transfer case.

Do you need lockers?

Check out the Freedom edition. Comes with rubicon steel bumpers, rock rails, and LEDs.
If I were buying on with a diesel that trim level is what I would choose.
I don’t need lockers no. Is the Freedom Edition based on a Sport with Max tow?

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Live Sound Engineer - Meerkat Sound
Freedom is a Trim level based off the Sport... the Max Tow is an optional package but not available with the diesel.

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
You can get max tow as an option. Although you can’t get max tow with a diesel, but I think the diesel has wide trac axles (I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong) and they all get 3.73 gears.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
You can get max tow as an option. Although you can’t get max tow with a diesel, but I think the diesel has wide trac axles (I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong) and they all get 3.73 gears.
Correct, diesel gets the wide D44HD axles, heavy duty cooling, bigger alternator.

All diesels are 3.73 gears.

Broke Owner

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Chocolate Brownie Quality Inspector
Yes all diesels get 3:73

but only rubicon and high altitude get the wider axles but they are slightly modify (steel knuckles from the Mojave)

Ive pieced all this from information here and there, if you look at a sticker you can see some are labeled wide and others are only labeled HD

Sponsored

Broke Owner

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Chocolate Brownie Quality Inspector
I’m also in a similar situation.

a sport S diesel (Texas edition) with some belts and whistles is only 2k cheaper than a Rubicon with 3.6, hard top and 8.4 screen.

been going back and forth on this.

ResurrectionManNH

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JT
Occupation
Defense Contractor
So for me I had to decide between a Rubicon V6 and a Willys diesel. Went back and forth a bit but went with the Willys diesel. I’ve only ever had Rubicons in the past but the reality is I just don’t wheel as much as I used to, maybe once a month (wish it was more). I can admit that Rubicon has a certain amount of badge envy for me, but honestly I barely ever needed the lockers that often in the past. The electronic disconnect and low ratio were nice but again, certainly not something I can take full advantage of anymore. The diesel is something that I enjoy every single day. That torque off the line makes me smiles every time, the diesel gurgling when idling, etc. And knocking down 24 mpg combined is making a noticeable difference in my wallet. The Willys also has the limited slip rear differential which goes a long way off road. The diesel is just fun as hell for me and not regretting my choice. Go with the Sport Diesel and build it up to whatever your off road needs are. 👍

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Wider axles means thicker as well.

For a diesel that isn't a bad thing to have.

This won't be super helpful, but will give some insight...

For me I didn't need the factory lockers, sway bar disconnect, rock sliders, etc, because I knew I'd be going aftermarket for all of that.

So I went with a Max Tow, to get the axles, additional cooling, and all of the other bits.

OP, it seems like whatever you do, you will want to go with the Mopar lift kit on day 1. Apparently the factory diesel suspension is far too soft and the front bottoms out.

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have about 5k miles on my Rubicon diesel currently. I use it to drive to and from work, and out running around with the family on the weekends. I have taken it on some greens and blues a few times.

It drives great imo. I am coming from a Subaru that handled like a dream, and it only took a little bit of time to adjust. The Gladiator is the biggest vehicle I have ever owned, and the highest sitting. It accelerates great, sticks to corners better than I would have thought, and is nice a smooth ride out on the highway. And speaking of highway, it's nice getting 28+ Mpg's when you throw on that cruise control and have to spend 20+ minutes driving somewhere. That will drop dramatically once you start hitting stop lights, but it's still not too bad.

I did have to get use to the loose steering, and the noticeable challenge of keeping the whip from drifting line to line, but my understanding is that those are normal Jeep things. Also, I see people on here talk about bottoming out on normal roads in the diesel...that has not been my experience at all, but idk if it's a fluke, or I just dont drive in a way that would cause that.

Bottom line: I never had a diesel before, so I got one. And I have been very happy with it, and surprised by the drivability.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I have about 5k miles on my Rubicon diesel currently. I use it to drive to and from work, and out running around with the family on the weekends. I have taken it on some greens and blues a few times.

It drives great imo. I am coming from a Subaru that handled like a dream, and it only took a little bit of time to adjust. The Gladiator is the biggest vehicle I have ever owned, and the highest sitting. It accelerates great, sticks to corners better than I would have thought, and is nice a smooth ride out on the highway. And speaking of highway, it's nice getting 28+ Mpg's when you throw on that cruise control and have to spend 20+ minutes driving somewhere. That will drop dramatically once you start hitting stop lights, but it's still not too bad.

I did have to get use to the loose steering, and the noticeable challenge of keeping the whip from drifting line to line, but my understanding is that those are normal Jeep things. Also, I see people on here talk about bottoming out on normal roads in the diesel...that has not been my experience at all, but idk if it's a fluke, or I just dont drive in a way that would cause that.

Bottom line: I never had a diesel before, so I got one. And I have been very happy with it, and surprised by the drivability.
Shouldn't have loose steering or wandering. Tire pressure high?
Sponsored

Reactions: Mac