Sponsored

Diff Cover install , 4.88 gear inspection, and gear oil change. Royal Purple may hurt your diff?

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
Not all gear oils are made equally I was originally running Royal Purple but a Jeep engineer warned me its not right for my Jeep. Here is why.

Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Clickbait title.warning.

RP does NOT hurt your diff, friction modifiers may hurt the air seals in your non-stock ARB locker.

IMHO, you have no business calling out a single lubricant manufacturer in your thread title. Iā€™ve run RP in engines and diffs for hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues, so this title caught my interest.

I use Royal Purple because the products are good and the company is local here in Southeast Texas. I like to support local business whenever I can. I am open-minded and know there are many fine alternatives, so Iā€™m not weighing in here because you picked on my ā€œfavā€.

I do think you missed the target. Instead of putting RP in the title, why not be more accurate and say ā€your gear oil may be hurting you ARB air lockerā€?

Better yet, I think the real question is why ARB uses seals that can be deteriorated by friction modifiers?

MojaveAZ2020

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Training Manager
Clickbait title.warning.

RP does NOT hurt your diff, friction modifiers may hurt the air seals in your non-stock ARB locker.

IMHO, you have no business calling out a single lubricant manufacturer in your thread title. Iā€™ve run RP in engines and diffs for hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues, so this title caught my interest.

I use Royal Purple because the products are good and the company is local here in Southeast Texas. I like to support local business whenever I can. I am open-minded and know there are many fine alternatives, so Iā€™m not weighing in here because you picked on my ā€œfavā€.

I do think you missed the target. Instead of putting RP in the title, why not be more accurate and say ā€your gear oil may be hurting you ARB air lockerā€?

Better yet, I think the real question is why ARB uses seals that can be deteriorated by friction modifiers?
This right here folks is what we call a sound, reasonable, and logical response. In past years it might have even been called a conversation based on facts, experience, and a difference of opinions. It led to asking the right questions and using the mind to think.
I salute this lost art that you have resurrected AggieJeep. Thank you for bringing it to the table friend.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Redline gear oil is what I used in my Fords, for the Motorsports Trac-Lok I used the variant that included friction modifier. For the TrueTrac, I used the variant WITHOUT friction modifier. Doesn't Royal Purple offer the same variations? I just thought it was a nice option in a premium product to have the friction modifier baked in.

That matters a LOT for clutch type LSD's. My CFO thought his old Toyota Tundra was going to grenade the differential after he got the LSD replaced. Our mechanics forgot the friction modifier, boy was he ticked! Still bought an F150 to replace it.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing accomplishes less and wastes more time than oil and fluids discussions on internet forums. Well, except for the CO2 vs Nitrogen tire fill debates...

Any gas follows a law P V = n R T where P = pressure (pascals) V = volume (m^3), n is the number of moles (44g for CO2), R is a constant 8.3145 J/(mol K) and T is the absolute (kelvin ) temperature.

Alternatively 44g of CO2 occupies 24litres at room temmp/pressure. The volume decreases linearly with pressure and increases linearly with absolute temperature.

OP
OP
Brfertig [HACKED ACCOUNT]
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
Clickbait title.warning.

I Would say your point is about making generalizations, but then you start your reply with "click bait" warning. Have you even checked out the video? I think you missed the mark but made a good point on the way there. I had Royal Purple in the diff. Not another brand. If I had put some other brand in there it would have made the title. So you are wrong and if anything helped my post get traction rather than ignoring it, if you really had thought it to be click bait.
Pay attention here.
My post count is nearly half of my reaction score. I post things that matter and people want to see.
Everyone has opinions, they aren't always necessarily worth posting. That's why most times I just move on.

How's that for sound and reasonable, @MojaveAZ2020 ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
  • Banned
Another great video OP thank you. With ARBs or OX in my near future its good which gear oils I may need to stay away from.
Thanks brother, appreciate you posting up. The source of the good info in this vid was from Scott who works for Jeep/FCA/Stellantis in MI. He builds his Jeeps with ARB as well.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I Would say your point is about making generalizations, but then you start your reply with "click bait" warning. Have you even checked out the video? I think you missed the mark but made a good point on the way there. I had Royal Purple in the diff. Not another brand. If I had put some other brand in there it would have made the title. So you are wrong and if anything helped my post get traction rather than ignoring it, if you really had thought it to be click bait.
Pay attention here.
My post count is nearly half of my reaction score. I post things that matter and people want to see.
Everyone has opinions, they aren't always necessarily worth posting. That's why most times I just move on.

How's that for sound and reasonable, @MojaveAZ2020 ?
ā€˜I did watch your video. That content is presented evenly enough. You seem like a nice enough fella in it and one that could recognize this thread title is sensationalistic.

...Royal Purple may hurt your diff?

it is simply disingenuous and you did not explain the friction modifier impact on the ARB in the initial post. This was a tease and the real issue is with ARB, not RP, but that isnā€™t revealed unless you watch the video. That makes it clickbait. It also would not be right for you to call out ANY gear oil manufacturer in the title this way. I would not have posted had your title been about ā€œair lockers and gear oils / friction modifiers ā€œ or the like.

I normally just move on quietly but noticed no one had replied. With an unfair and inaccurate title, I thought a clarification in the second post of the thread would be a timesaver for others. Folks tend to watch the videos anyway, There is no need for this kind of misrepresentation.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
If someone watches the video, all this is covered. I promise it wasn't intentional and was solely based on products I had in my diff.
Sponsored