Sponsored

Difference between max tow and my Overland?

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Been edumacating myself this morning on max tow and comparing my overland to it.

My sticker shows I have the Dana 44’s, class IV hitch, and HD engine cooling. As I understand it, my Dana 44’s are just narrower than the max tow package.
So the only difference between mine and the max tow should be the 4.10 gearing and wider Dana’s? I believe the overland said it was good for around 6k towing capacity vs the max tow being 7650.

Am I on the right track here? Lol

I also saw my sticker says I have “electronic trailer sway control”. Is that just something integrated into the braking system? I see it’s just listed as a feature and not some upgraded option.
Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Max tow in theory gets "HD brakes" (heavy duty) but I've seen someone say that's just the Rubicon's brakes while I've seen someone else state that we all have the same brakes. I was under the impression that the Max Tow had the largest brakes because of the towing capabilities. /shrugs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Max tow in theory gets "HD brakes" (heavy duty) but I've seen someone say that's just the Rubicon's brakes while I've seen someone else state that we all have the same brakes. I was under the impression that the Max Tow had the largest brakes because of the towing capabilities. /shrugs
Being that they both have the same wide-track D44's, I'd venture to place a wager that the Rubicon and Max Tow both have the same everything, other than the E-lockers. Same brakes, gears, housings, etc... Just a wild guess. Manufacturers like to use as many of the same parts as they can across the model spectrums, that way it costs them less to build it.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
my Overland has the same HD brakes as Max & Rubicon , my Factory springs were way soft & had a low number. i have the Tow package .

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Functionally I think the axles are the only difference to include the ratio and the brakes. There are at least 2 versions of the rear brake pads and rotors so there is definitely a difference from the factory on some models. However it seems there's only one bracket and caliper part number which means it might be an option to just do the HD brakes as an add-on when you replace the rears.

Otherwise it's just what is standard trim and what is available as options.

Sponsored

Demo_slug

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2020
Vehicle Showcase
On my max tow...I got my rear driver side axle shaft replaced, due to a defective tone ring. FWIW. the max tow axle shaft are not the same as rubicon. The shaft is unique to the max tow. They are symmetrical and can be used right or left. Rubicon has side specific shafts. Which it probably some issue with the locker.

Anyway, there are probably lots of little things different

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
that they both have the same wide-track D44's,
they both have wide D44s, but the max tow housings do not have bosses, machined or as-cast, for the electric locker wiring connector. And, I believe the wide 44s have thicker (10mm) wall tubes than the narrow D44s.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I also saw my sticker says I have “electronic trailer sway control”. Is that just something integrated into the braking system? I see it’s just listed as a feature and not some upgraded option.
yes, its in the manual.

Electronic Brake Control (EBC) System
Your vehicle is equipped with an advanced
Electronic Brake Control (EBC) system.
This system includes Electronic Brake Force
Distribution (EBD), Anti-Lock Brake System
(ABS), Brake Assist System (BAS), Hill Start
Assist (HSA), Traction Control System (TCS),
Electronic Stability Control (ESC), and Electronic
Roll Mitigation (ERM). These systems work
together to enhance both vehicle stability and
control in various driving conditions.
Your vehicle may also be equipped with Trailer
Sway Control (TSC), Ready Alert Braking (RAB),
Selec-Speed Control (SSC), and Rain Brake
Support (RBS)

dernawe

First Name
Kalid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Program Manager
Have been thinking about this as well as I have an overland. Setting the brakes aside for a moment, will swapping out the gears (was going to put in 4.88s anyway) effectively increase the towing capacity to the same 7500/7650? Or would you need to swap the whole rear axle? I also have the tow package on my overland, but would like to get the tow rating up to the same as it’s brethren.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Have been thinking about this as well as I have an overland. Setting the brakes aside for a moment, will swapping out the gears (was going to put in 4.88s anyway) effectively increase the towing capacity to the same 7500/7650? Or would you need to swap the whole rear axle? I also have the tow package on my overland, but would like to get the tow rating up to the same as it’s brethren.
4.88’s with 37’s or 35’s? You wouldn’t want 4.88’s with the stock tire size. In theory, yes that would get you to a higher capacity. Also “In theory” the wide track axles provide some stability, but likely don’t effect the rating. Only issue you have is the potential for tickets and insurance issues towing more than you’re rated for.

Sponsored

dernawe

First Name
Kalid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Program Manager
4.88’s with 37’s or 35’s? You wouldn’t want 4.88’s with the stock tire size. In theory, yes that would get you to a higher capacity. Also “In theory” the wide track axles provide some stability, but likely don’t effect the rating. Only issue you have is the potential for tickets and insurance issues towing more than you’re rated for.
I’m running 35’s, and am going to throw in the Air Lift bags as well to help with sag. Could go for 4.10 gears, but figured with the 35’s and the ability to tow as mich as possible the 4.88s would be the best option.
Agreed on the insurance/legality, something to keep in mind, but dry weight of the trailer is lower than 6000 anyway, so just a matter of GVWR of the trailer.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I’m running 35’s, and am going to throw in the Air Lift bags as well to help with sag. Could go for 4.10 gears, but figured with the 35’s and the ability to tow as mich as possible the 4.88s would be the best option.
Agreed on the insurance/legality, something to keep in mind, but dry weight of the trailer is lower than 6000 anyway, so just a matter of GVWR of the trailer.
They’ll likely look at gross trailer weight which is 6k for you so as long as you’re under that you should be fine. Unless the Jeep is just packed and you exceed your 11,100 GCWR.

With a 315/70-17 tire, the equivalent gearing to a max tow with stock tires is 4.48 so I would think a 4.56 would be plenty of gearing unless you think you’d want to go to 37’s. 4.88 may be too low considering the transmission we have. Just my $0.02

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Max tow comes standard with 4:10 gears, heavy duty brakes, higher amp alternator and bigger cooling fan. Fender flares exstentions as well.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Max tow comes standard with 4:10 gears, heavy duty brakes, higher amp alternator and bigger cooling fan. Fender flares exstentions as well.
Oh and trans cooler. Go to Jeep build sure and read Max tow option. All details there.
Sponsored