Sponsored

Differential/Axle Fluid

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Update: thread became about what the proper oil weight is, and the conflicting answers from Jeep's writing and technical staff.

Original Post
So not wanting to spend $150 to replace differential fluid for both axles (need slightly 5.25pts, so need to buy 3qts to get the needed 2.625pts), what SAE 75W85 API GL-5 Gear and Axle Oil/Lubricant is good?

I was looking at the Red Line 50105 75W85 GL-5 Gear Oil, $60 for 1gal, but the label states it is for hypoid limited slip diffs, and my Sport has open diffs.

Will that work or is there an alternative I should use

Jeep Gladiator Differential/Axle Fluid 9BFD91AB-415F-48D2-99C5-C096880164BE

ETA: from the Factory Service Manual

Jeep Gladiator Differential/Axle Fluid def40e1e-11c6-468c-9c27-cf6ab723f4f7-jpe

Jeep Gladiator Differential/Axle Fluid f0bd6d6b-b91d-49fc-be90-f6879314d5fa-jpe

End Original Post

ETA/Update: Looks like I am getting 2 different answers from 2 different technical folks involved with the JT development.

The correct weight for my vehicle, according to the list of fluids given and a Project Manager at Jeep, is 75W-140. It is because of the two diamonds saying if the vehicle has the towing package, not necessarily the Max Tow package, to use the 75W-140. Initially he stated 75W-85, but upon further looking tow package, or in my case max tow, it meant 75W-140

Glad I checked, before changing the diff fluid.
Plot twist:
From Jeep Customer Cares:

And when I asked where they got their information:
Sponsored

Last edited:

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I use Mopar 75w140 synthetic here in So Cal where it is warm with my 5:13 gears on my Rubicon. It is specified for our Gladiators for towing or heavy use. Yes, you need 3 quarts for both axles. It seems to be approx. $20 a quart at the dealer where I buy from...

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use Mopar 75w140 synthetic here in So Cal where it is warm with my 5:13 gears on my Rubicon. It is specified for our Gladiators for towing or heavy use. Yes, you need 3 quarts for both axles. It seems to be approx. $20 a quart at the dealer where I buy from...
$50 a qt here in KY for the above fluid recommended for my JT, parts department provide a list of fluids based on my vin

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Any full Synthetic GL-5 lube in proper grade will do you.

If you want more options that are pocket book friendly, consider 75W-90 grade gear oils.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've always "just" used a name brand of gear oil and Trac-Loc additive for Trac-Loc limited slip differential. Most gear oils list for limited slip differentials for top off and that just means it will work with them not that it's required to use it. Just use appropriate weight range. Per owner manual.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any full Synthetic GL-5 lube in proper grade will do you.

If you want more options that are pocket book friendly, consider 75W-90 grade gear oils.
I am ok with $60-70 per gal, the concern is the "for hypoid limited slip differentials" on the Red Line , which on their website expands to " Contains additional friction modifiers for suitability with clutch-type limited slip differentials - for most LSDs, no additional friction modifiers are required " So if my open diffs don't need the friction modifier, I am concerned this one having the friction addative would harm something.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I am ok with $60-70 per gal, the concern is the "for hypoid limited slip differentials" on the Red Line , which on their website expands to " Contains additional friction modifiers for suitability with clutch-type limited slip differentials - for most LSDs, no additional friction modifiers are required " So if my open diffs don't need the friction modifier, I am concerned this one having the friction addative would harm something.
Gear oil with limited slip additive are fine in open diff axles. I run a Valvoline gear oil with a friction modifier in my Rubicon that is basically a open diff until I use the E-locker with no issue.

I am pretty sure if you contact Red Line with the same question, they will say the same.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry my post didn't clarify that point on "for hypoid limited slip differentials" almost every jug/ bottle of gear oil I've ever used and seen is that, I use the same stuff in front and rear axle's (no limited slip front axle's) situation, in past I was buying four plus gallons at a time... I guess you've read some of my post's of my herd of Jeeps🤪 it was easier to track "remember" when I did gear oil changes when I did multiple on same date / time of year. :like: ie 5 plus axles. XJ, MJ and LJ.. so no problems using in non-posi differentials.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@PyrPatriot

Consider going over to JL Wrangler forum and doing some reading there... There are multiple threads there talking diff fluid.. Read there and you will learn that you can do both diffs and the transfer case and pay no more then say $60... Doing the fluid changes takes no more then a half hour when you do them all at the same time..

When reading there, you will see the Valvoline FlexFill pouches being mentioned... They are terrific...

Do know that Valvoline has the necessary additive so no need to add additive.... if your vehicle does not need additive then no harm using the fluid with the additive..
Thank you. Yes I looked at the JL forums first. I saw where there was discussion on adding addative, but not on whether it being present was harmful. Also very little discussion on folks using 75W85 oil, they used more common weights, at least for alternatives to the brand Mopar fluids.

Checking and changing diff fluids is fast and easy...if you have a flat place to do it. I have no flat surface where to put the Jeep on ramps, check fluids, etc. I can get away with changing oil, but not for diff fluid checks/replacement as there is less volume to work with.

FlexFills are great, but not available in 75W-85, only 75W-90 and 75W-140 grades. 75W-140 is for the non-limited slip M200 axle series, which is not available on the JT (though it is listed in the Owners Manual) having the M220 series.

The presence of the additive was my concern, it's not needed but whenever I hear things like "friction modifier" in places that have gears, I try to be extra careful

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@PyrPatriot

You do not need to put the JT up on ramps, to do diff or transfer case fluid changes. There is more then enough room to get under there and change the fluids.. YES, you want to do on a fairly level surface.... parking lot, garage floor, etc.. To be honest changing the diff and transfer case is as easy as doing the oil change on a JT... and that is for most anyone..

Also, in your JT, you will use 75W90 in the front and in the rear diffs.. Unless you want to search out 75W85 which would make little sense/not necessary..

IF you have the tow package you will use 75W140 in the rear. In your JT you can use Valvoline..
Your JT, is no different then a JL when it comes to diff fluid and transfer case fluid... Again, read there at the JL Wrangler forum..

Oh, you are wrong about the FlexFill's..

As mentioned Valvoline (Royal Purple, also) has the additive.. IF your vehicle needs it then you use the Valvoline and need to add no further additive... IF your vehicle does not need the additive then you still can use the same fluid with the additive..
That is what I meant about being level: for the diff fluid. I use ramps to help with oil changes

According to the dealership I use 75W85 for both front and year, this is based on the dealership looking up the correct fluid based on VIN. I understand why it would seem that the "for towing" oil would be used in the Max Tow, I just think it is meant to use that oil if you frequently tow heavy loads. Otherwise, why use a vastly different weight/viscosity for norma conditions?

How am I wrong about the FlexFills? The website only lists those weights

Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
@PyrPatriot

Not sure why you bother to use ramps for your oil change... Perhaps you are way overweight... a huge guy or whatever, but most guys/gals, don't use ramps to do an oil change on a JT or JL.

Do your homework... research .... and you will get it so to speak, that even though your dealer spews 75W80, that you would be aok to use 75W90 in front and in the rear diff.. If you have tow package you use 75W140 in the rear diff instead on 75W90.

Valvoline or Royal Purple gear oil is aok to use in a vehicle that does or does not need additive.

Valvoline 75W90 and 75W140 are both avail. in Flex Fill..
Per the manual, 75w140 is only used in the M200 rear axle (Dana 35,only exists on the JL, not JT's)
Jeep Gladiator Differential/Axle Fluid 1614800862123

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@PyrPatriot

Not sure why you bother to use ramps for your oil change... Perhaps you are way overweight... a huge guy or whatever, but most guys/gals, don't use ramps to do an oil change on a JT or JL.

Do your homework... research .... and you will get it so to speak, that even though your dealer spews 75W80, that you would be aok to use 75W90 in front and in the rear diff.. If you have tow package you use 75W140 in the rear diff instead on 75W90.

Valvoline or Royal Purple gear oil is aok to use in a vehicle that does or does not need additive.

Valvoline 75W90 and 75W140 are both avail. in Flex Fill..
Because ramps make things easier. Why wouldn't I use ramps? Get more clearance to slide under, hands have more room to work, see things better, and the oil drains out more completely. But sure, just assume I'm a lard butt. Most guys/gals I know use ramps to change oil, Jeep or otherwise, hell even the online vids on Jeep oil changes have folks putting their rigs on stands. But you keep making life harder for yourself, go you!

You should do YOUR homework and check for details. My dealer didn't "spew" anything. They certainly didn't state 75W80, the parts department gave me a printout that stated, according to FCA, the correct weight was 75W-85. This is what they would put in to my vehicle based on my VIN, should I change out the diff fluid, chose the optional 40k maintenance of replacing axle fluid, or had the axles replaced. The 75W-140 is for folks who do a lot of heavy towing, it is not the default factory lubricant for my vehicle. I am waiting for a response from Jeep to confirm this.

Per the manual, 75w140 is only used in the M200 rear axle (Dana 35,only exists on the JL, not JT's)
1614800862123.png
Exactly.

From the factory service manual, not the user manual, not some armchair expert, the official Jeep publication:

Jeep Gladiator Differential/Axle Fluid DEF40E1E-11C6-468C-9C27-CF6AB723F4F7

Jeep Gladiator Differential/Axle Fluid F0BD6D6B-B91D-49FC-BE90-F6879314D5FA

I wonder whose "research" folks will decide to follow.

And yes, the FlexFills are available in those weights, that's exactly what I said. You gave the strong impression that they came in others, which they don't.

FlexFills are great, but not available in 75W-85, only 75W-90 and 75W-140 grades.
Oh, you are wrong about the FlexFill's..

Last edited:

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Because ramps make things easier. Why wouldn't I use ramps? Get more clearance to slide under, hands have more room to work, see things better, and the oil drains out more completely. But sure, just assume I'm a lard butt. Most guys/gals I know use ramps to change oil, Jeep or otherwise, hell even the online vids on Jeep oil changes have folks putting their rigs on stands. But you keep making life harder for yourself, go you!

You should do YOUR homework and check for details. My dealer didn't "spew" anything. They certainly didn't state 75W80, the parts department gave me a printout that stated, according to FCA, the correct weight was 75W-85. This is what they would put in to my vehicle based on my VIN, should I change out the diff fluid, chose the optional 40k maintenance of replacing axle fluid, or had the axles replaced. The 75W-140 is for folks who do a lot of heavy towing, it is not the default factory lubricant for my vehicle. I am waiting for a response from Jeep to confirm this.

Exactly.

From the factory service manual, not the user manual, not some armchair expert, the official Jeep publication:

I wonder whose "research" folks will decide to follow.
I use ramps for the front when I change my oil too....

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use ramps for the front when I change my oil too....
But are you "way overweight"? Cause apparently according to Pepe only/most such people use ramps when changing the oil in a JL/JT. 😂

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
But are you "way overweight"? Cause apparently according to Pepe only/most such people use ramps when changing the oil in a JL/JT. 😂
I mean, I probably am considered overweight....but I can easily get under it without them :LOL:
Sponsored