Difficulty removing side steps

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I’ve read that people are having a tough time removing their rock rails. Has anyone removed their Overland side steps and had a lot of issues? I’m going to replace mine soon with Rubicon rails or aftermarket rails and just wondering how hard this is going to be!
Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NachoJTD
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I’ve read that people are having a tough time removing their rock rails. Has anyone removed their Overland side steps and had a lot of issues? I’m going to replace mine soon with Rubicon rails or aftermarket rails and just wondering how hard this is going to be!

I helped a friend pull his off and we had both sides done in 25 minutes

OP
OP
Snowdogyyz

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Were the bolts very difficult to break loose? Do I need a breaker bar or just some manly arms?

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
This is a very easy task to complete with basic hands tools. I used a ratchet and the appropriately sized sockets, I forget the two sizes. You don’t need much force to get the bolts out, they’re not torqued to high numbers at all. I would say this is a fun and simple project that you will have no issues getting done!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Snowdogyyz

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
This is a very easy task to complete with basic hands tools. I used a ratchet and the appropriately sized sockets, I forget the two sizes. You don’t need much force to get the bolts out, they’re not torqued to high numbers at all. I would say this is a fun and simple project that you will have no issues getting done!
Great to know! Thanks for that. I keep reading about some having to apply heat and use breaker bars and it was making me dread the project.

Buck1ze

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The factory rock rails are very easy to remove. You may be confusing this with removal of the body mount bolts when installing aftermarket sliders.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The factory rock rails are very easy to remove. You may be confusing this with removal of the body mount bolts when installing aftermarket sliders.
Yep side steps are 10 minutes. 5 if you have an electric ratchet. Rock rails are hours if you break a body bolt.

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Great to know! Thanks for that. I keep reading about some having to apply heat and use breaker bars and it was making me dread the project.
No problem. Being such new vehicles there shouldn’t be any seized bolts but for peace of mind you could spray them with penetrating oil the day before.

I replaced the steps on this JT and also on my JKU with no issues and lets just say I am certainly no mechanic! I don’t mind simple /minimal labour jobs but that’s where I stop.

Sponsored

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
This.

The references you're seeing to heat guns and breaker bars is for the body mount bolts. Factory rails don't use these and if your replacements don't either, you'll be done in 30 minutes.

OP
OP
Snowdogyyz

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Yep- took me about 35 minutes by myself. No difficulties with the bolts at all. Looks so much better than the steps!

4WtzxCv.jpg
Sponsored