Digital-only sucks

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
The amount of time it takes to rip a CD without cover art or song titles is time prohibitive. YouTube streaming with all of the adds is annoying, but not as bad as Sirius/XM's kiddie Punk station when you want your dose of 80's Hardcore. I'll never adjust to digital-only.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The amount of time it takes to rip a CD without cover art or song titles is time prohibitive. YouTube streaming with all of the adds is annoying, but not as bad as Sirius/XM's kiddie Punk station when you want your dose of 80's Hardcore. I'll never adjust to digital-only.
I'm not sure of the quality, but there is a CD player available on Amazon that can be mounted to the side of the console and connected to the USB port. It is around $300. I've been debating on getting one for myself.

OP
OP
Desert Outlaw

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure of the quality, but there is a CD player available on Amazon that can be mounted to the side of the console and connected to the USB port. It is around $300. I've been debating on getting one for myself.
I love Technology! Thanks for the info!

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

Sponsored

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper.htm

Rips really fast and automatically pulls the song titles and album art from online.

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
$300 bucks? You can buy an external CD/DVD drive for $30.
You get what you pay for on the $30 side but $300 is excessive...

mine that I use for computers and cars that can burn Blu Rays, does well in the car without read/write errors during playback...

but is cost almost $100 a couple of years ago.

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
You get what you pay for on the $30 side but $300 is excessive...

mine that I use for computers and cars that can burn Blu Rays, does well in the car without read/write errors during playback...

but is cost almost $100 a couple of years ago.
I don't doubt that for a minute, but all he is looking to do is play audio, I'd be very surprised if a $30 external cd/dvd drive wouldn't do that. Plug it in in the console, it will work fine.

OP
OP
Desert Outlaw

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't doubt that for a minute, but all he is looking to do is play audio, I'd be very surprised if a $30 external cd/dvd drive wouldn't do that. Plug it in in the console, it will work fine.
I would prefer the bells and whistles to a simple CD/DVD player.

Question:would the UConnect screen serve as a DVD player?

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I've ditched all of my Sirius/XM radios. Sick of it. Commercial free? Maybe, but the "DJs" CAN'T SHUT UP. Countless commercials for their other channels. So done with it.

Pandora commercial free is cheap and so is Spotify. Took this scrooge a while to get used to it, but love it now. Hearing so much great music that would never see FM play, or even satellite play.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The cost on this one is down to $265, but still more than I want to spend right now. https://smile.amazon.com/Automotive-Integrated-Electronics-connection-USBCDPLAY2/dp/B07DJ2FBJY/ref=sr_1_9?crid=11JNU39XAPOM1&keywords=auto+usb+cd+player&qid=1570400291&sprefix=auto+usb+cd,aps,185&sr=8-9

I decided to try one of these, just to see how well it will work. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QX2RXQ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I ordered this cable to try with it, so the media cover isn't all the way up all the time. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R29QSF6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered a slot load unit, since that should be easier to deal with than the manual tray that comes on all the others this size. If this works in the truck, that will be great. If not, I can use it with the laptop, so I'm not really out anything. If it doesn't work, I may have to break down and try the expensive one.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I don't like keeping all the CDs in a vehicle and years ago started ripping and putting onto USB sticks and an iPod my wife bought me for Christmas years ago. I've been ripping for years - even vinyl records.
My wife's iPod has enough music that it will go almost two days straight and never repeat a song. Of course she's a country nut so I can't handle listening to her stuff and have my own. I don't have near the hours she does but I haven't done as much of mine. If I did I bet it would almost match hers. Maybe.
Anyway, since I've been doing ripping for so long and instantly rip anything I get on media, it's no issue.
I used to keep boxes of CDs with me but it became a hassle and they get scratched or damaged and then it's done. So I figure rip 'em all and keep the disks safe at home, or make copies of my CDs so if something happens, so what. I have even captured a few youtube things with Audacity. (I use that to rip vinyl and an USB interface I bought for my linear tracking turntable a few years back)
Funny, I had a 6 disk player in the Silverado and hardly ever used it after hassling with the disk swapping and storing them in the truck - the console had a USB port in it so I loaded up a USB stick and stuck that in the port in the console and left it there.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a stack of CD's that are all ripped, but never got around to putting them on a USB drive. There's one local radio station that has covered my listening needs for years. I have a few CD's that I like to listen to when the mood strikes. My Overland came with a one year subscription to SiriusXM, so that is all I've listened to since I drove it off the lot. I'm going to give the inexpensive CD player a try, and see where it goes from there. I'll probably end up renewing the satellite radio subscription.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm old - I bet some here never heard of my favorites. My listening tastes are also weird - no station I am aware of plays to my tastes. Satellite? Ugh, maybe once in a while, only two or three of them........
but name me a station that plays - Moody Blues, Klaatu, Procol Harum, or Queen...... (odd mix, eh?)
I have every song from the Moodies as a group on CD and some in dupe and quite a few on vinyl, as well as Blue Jays.
Name me just one Klaatu song - heck, other than the ONE that put them on the map, name me a Procol Harum song, kids (NO FAIR CHEATING WITH GOOGLE! LOL )
Any stations play the songs Prelude? Madman? Or Blue World? Melancholy Man? Simple Game?
Looks like I stick to my ripped music although I think I have an old USB CD player laying around somewhere from a notebook past........ like Mr._Bill said - nice to play certain disks when the mood hits.
Sponsored