First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Had a Firecracker Red Rubicon on order and it came in. Dealer waiting for me to pick it up.
Cloth seats, blind spot detection, 8.4" infotainment, painted fender flares, black hard top, tonneau cover, trailer tow, LED lights, cargo group with trail rail, auto transmission.

Right before it came in I went and drove a black Rubicon with more equipment. In addition to above it has adaptive cruise control (never thought I'd want something like this but after using it for an hour on the interstate I'm sold), cold weather group (I live in Florida but I like the heated seats if my back feels stiff after work or if it's chilly out in the early morning and top is off + the remote start is kinda nice in hot weather to get air going), auxiliary switch group (no immediate plans for additional lights, winch), bedliner (was going to do Line-X on my ordered unit), leather seats (I'm on the fence about this but after driving this one for extended periods of time they are kinda nice), remote proximity keyless entry (not necessary in my world).

So the price difference is $3200 or $57/month. Seems like I'm getting a lot more. Had I not driven this more equipped Gladiator I'd probably not be having having this discussion but given that I got a taste of these extra amenities it has me thinking.

Any opinions, advice, thoughts, and criticisms welcome.
Sponsored

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
A black vehicle in Florida climate would be one of the last colors I'd want, but I'd go for it over the firecracker red if it had those extra options.

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon , BMW F800GS
If it was me, I would stick with what I ordered, there is always going to be something with more features. I ordered a fairly bare bones Rubicon, but I would have loved to load up on more options. I really wanted dual tops, Led lights, steel bumper, acc, etc but where do you draw the line. I already felt like the stock Rubicon was more than I wanted to spend, not because I couldn't afford more just that I wasn't willing to.

ScuderiaJEEP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500 WRX 2CV Real MINI
I was on the fence and in the same 3k difference range
I decided on the Rubicon after all

Sponsored

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Had a Firecracker Red Rubicon on order and it came in. Dealer waiting for me to pick it up.
Cloth seats, blind spot detection, 8.4" infotainment, painted fender flares, black hard top, tonneau cover, trailer tow, LED lights, cargo group with trail rail, auto transmission.

Right before it came in I went and drove a black Rubicon with more equipment. In addition to above it has adaptive cruise control (never thought I'd want something like this but after using it for an hour on the interstate I'm sold), cold weather group (I live in Florida but I like the heated seats if my back feels stiff after work or if it's chilly out in the early morning and top is off + the remote start is kinda nice in hot weather to get air going), auxiliary switch group (no immediate plans for additional lights, winch), bedliner (was going to do Line-X on my ordered unit), leather seats (I'm on the fence about this but after driving this one for extended periods of time they are kinda nice), remote proximity keyless entry (not necessary in my world).

So the price difference is $3200 or $57/month. Seems like I'm getting a lot more. Had I not driven this more equipped Gladiator I'd probably not be having having this discussion but given that I got a taste of these extra amenities it has me thinking.

This is just me but the ACC is totally worth that and more. Just my $0.02

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Black with leather in a convertible in Florida without cooled seats? That would be a hard pass for me, personally. I'm not much on black, inside or out. But that's me. It does look good for the 10 minutes after it's been washed.

I like the idea of the adaptive cruise, but I'm gonna pass on that if I get a JT. I've lived just fine without it (I'm 51). I personally feel all these 'aides' in driving will result in many drivers developing bad habits because of them. This nation doesn't take their driving nearly seriously enough, in my opinion. That's a discussion for another thread.

My wife's car has the proximity locks. I've grown to really like them.

Perhaps the JT you now want is some combination of the two? Yeah, that prolly didn't help.

Good luck!

Sponsored

IceAge

First Name
Garey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2018
If your on the page of switching it up do a dealer inventory search and find the exact package you want. Tell the existing dealer you test drove a more equipped model and say if they had a more equipped model you would have purchased one from the get go. See if your dealer can do a swap with the exact package with another dealer. And the ACC and heated seats are a must for me and I get it. And mines in Florida for the summer months and I agree a black vehicle in Florida takes forever to cool down and just too damn hot.
3BE15286-8A78-4196-91F5-23286AAD7FA0.jpeg
96815D58-3E99-43B3-800E-6F08CDCBE8DC.jpeg

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2020 F150 Powerstroke
After driving adaptive cruise in my wife's new car; it's terrible. Nothing like looking down and seeing that you are now going 10-15 mph slower than you set cruise because to got "too close" to the car several car lengths ahead (yes even set at the lowest setting).

BLIS is great. Leather is great, but I'm going to pass on factory and install degreez and catzkins for heated and cool for a lot less than factory costs.

In the end, it's $58-62K. It's already so much money, just get exactly what you want.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
That is a tough call. I live in Florida and absolutely want the heated seats, 35 degrees in Florida feels way colder than 35 degrees in Alaska in my opinion. Conversely I don't want leather seats because they are too hot in the summer. I love my cloth heated seats in my Power Wagon. Honestly my build has pretty much everything but the ACC/FCA. Although I have been seeing a lot of people who are liking it so maybe I reconsider before the order actually goes in but I doubt it. I travel for a living and drive rental cars a lot so I get to see all of the different features. I really like the proximity entry, and the backup sensors are worth it. Not a fan of the car applying the brakes for me. I have the 8.4 nav and alpine now so I feel I would be disappointed to go down.
The other side of this is that this will be my everyday vehicle. If it was a second vehicle I am sure the desire for all of those things would adjust.

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE

Now that you have gotten a taste of some of the additional amenities, it will be hard to live without them. Dont settle. If the additional amenities will be useful to you then I think you have your answer. It's a small price to pay to avoid buyers remorse.
Sponsored