First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 black Mojave, 20 awd Camry
Occupation
Railroader
Love my new Mojave. Cleaning it all up for the first time today. Took delivery 2 weeks ago. And discovered white overspray of some kind all over the Jeep. Tried adams scratch and swirl remover and polish figured it might help but nothing. So contacted my dealer which is 3 hours away. Sent them videos. They informed me that I had signed the delivery papers and must of happened on our way home from them painting the hwy. mind you it was 25 degrees with rain and snow that day. Love the Jeep wouldn’t trade it for anything at the moment. Autonation Jeep west in Golden co is the dealer great prices not so much customer service I guess.
Sponsored

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
That stinks. But, in all fairness to the dealer (and I can't stand most dealerships) they have a point. Especially if its 2 weeks after you took delivery. They have no way of knowing when it occurred.

Not that it helps you now, but when I purchase a new car I spend quite a bit of time going over it inside and out. Of course, the salesman always wants to rush through the paperwork. So, I ask whoever accompanied me (always need a ride) to look it over better while I go with the salesman.

When I bought my Gladiator last July, my brother came with me. I missed two small nicks on the roof panels that he found.

Anyway, you may want to consult with a professional detailer and see if they can help. Best of luck with your new truck!

OP
OP

HuskerMojave

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Railroader
I really didn’t think anything would get accomplished by contacting them. Seems like typical customer service these days.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I worked at a dealer when I was younger. If you were local I'd have asked you to bring it in and done what I could. With no guarantees because after 2 weeks, god only knows where it came from.

Factory car paint is very tough. I am confident with the application of the proper solvent the overspray can be removed without harming the paint. Tolulene? MEK? Acetone?

OP
OP

HuskerMojave

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Railroader
I worked at a dealer when I was younger. If you were local I'd have asked you to bring it in and done what I could. With no guarantees because after 2 weeks, god only knows where it came from.

Factory car paint is very tough. I am confident with the application of the proper solvent the overspray can be removed without harming the paint. Tolulene? MEK? Acetone?
Hey thanks. I started clay baring and polishing yesterday. Looks good just time consuming. Reached out to Jeep they have me taking it to my local dealer to get it resolved.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want to try the chemicals I mentioned. Test them out inside a door jamb first.

One other thing that is quick, cheap, and available is brake cleaner or contact cleaner. This is perchloroethylene or "Perk". It won't hurt any modern automotive 2 part paint. Though I would try to minimize exposure. Spray it on a towel and give it a try. Again,try inside the trunk lid or a door jamb first.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Not the dealers fault and not really bad customer service they let you know that you did sign the form and like others have said a lot can happen in 2 weeks so its really not something you should have expected them to help.

Ezsky

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Living the dream
I recently leased a Gladiator. Several days later found the painted fender was loose and damaged(rear wheel).

Just so happens I took a photo of the vehicle at the dealership before I drove off. Photo showed the fender was damaged. Based on the photo they took it back and replaced the fender. Otherwise, it would have been a $500 repair.

I suspect the salesperson damaged the vehicle after the test drive when he took it for a wash.

I got lucky with the photo as I was not in the mind frame of performing a detailed inspection at the dealership.

Anyways, lesson learned for me...next time bring a friend who isn't excited about the purchase to inspect vehicle.

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
When washing my Jeep the day after I brought it home, yep one of those, I found the paint felt gritty. Clay barred it and then but on a ceramic coat. It looks better than it did at delivery. Most make ready does an okay job and I've found that they miss stuff, but it was also my way to really inspect the Jeep.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I recently leased a Gladiator. Several days later found the painted fender was loose and damaged(rear wheel).

Just so happens I took a photo of the vehicle at the dealership before I drove off. Photo showed the fender was damaged. Based on the photo they took it back and replaced the fender. Otherwise, it would have been a $500 repair............
Good point about photos. Every time I have to bring any of my vehicles to a dealer, I take numerous photos of the exterior including 1 of each wheel/tire. I do this AT THE DEALERSHIP so that it is documented how it arrived to them with no damage.

One dealership was the type that always had employees meet you outside for service. They were miffed every time I did it because I held them up. But, it paid off when one of their techs backed my truck into a parking abutment and smashed my hitch step. They first claimed they didn't do it. Then said it must have been hit by someone after they parked it in the lot. I showed them my dash cam video that showed when it happened as the tech was backing up, and also my photos of the rear when I arrived. Then they paid for the fix.

That was the third time a dealer paid to fix the damage they did to one of my vehicles.

Sponsored

OP
OP

HuskerMojave

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Railroader
If you want to try the chemicals I mentioned. Test them out inside a door jamb first.

One other thing that is quick, cheap, and available is brake cleaner or contact cleaner. This is perchloroethylene or "Perk". It won't hurt any modern automotive 2 part paint. Though I would try to minimize exposure. Spray it on a towel and give it a try. Again,try inside the trunk lid or a door jamb first.
Thanks for the help I appreciate it. At the moment I’m waiting for the area Jeep rep to give his ruling on what will be done if anything. My local dealer said it looked like it happened during initial transit to the dealer. They have seen it many times.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If that's the case, then it most definitely will come off with some good old fashioned volatile organic compounds.

If I were you, I'd go into the garage, grab a bottle of brake cleaner (or buy one for $5) , test it on a door jamb, and then give it a shot. At the very least, it will save you wasting a couple of hours at the dealer.

I understand the desire to force the dealer to make it right. But sometimes your time is worth more.
Its not rocket surgery.
Sponsored