Sponsored

Disappointed with my Gladiator purchase.....

Stephen21

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2014 Wrangler
Occupation
Still looking
Hey Everyone,

I have loved the look of the new Gladiators (love the old ones too) since I first saw one. I never thought I would drive one......

Things change and I picked up my brand new 2021 Eco-Diesel three weeks ago. It is AWESOME!! The ride, comfort, power, looks, it checks all of my boxes in a BIG way except for one........

I have been geeking out on YouTube videos showing overlanding, rock crawling and Jeep upgrades for weeks. I couldn't wait to hit the trails in my new Jeep!!

Then reality hit with thoughts of brand new paint and mfg warranties........... It's just too pretty to take out wheelin'..... And I am feeling somewhat limited as to the upgrades for fear of creating warranty issues.

I am taking some fantastic drives up in the mountains that you certainly could not get to with the family mini-van but bypassing many of the "fun" trails......

Out of frustration, I picked up a 1993 Grand Cherokee the other day in hopes of making it something I can "learn" with. It was an odd deal and I took the car sight unseen. It was a gamble and I didn't do as well as I have on other "blind" purchases that I have made. It runs and drives fine for a 28 year old beater with 200k miles. Unfortunately, it has the worst combination of drive train that came in those cars. 4.0 Motor is great but the the 42RE and NP249 both are poor choices.

After getting it home I found that the transfer case is shot and the front diff makes a notable sound. "Gear whine"???

Now to decide:

Learn to run my Gladiator without tearing it up?

Build the Grand Cherokee? Refresh the engine, swap transmission and transfer case. 1 tons and long arms would have to be down the road a bit.

Sell the GC to a soccer mom and take another shot at a "good" beater?

What are you all with newer rigs doing? I feel a little foolish driving around a great trail rig that I am afraid to take on the trails.......

Thanks

S.
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I'd never buy, and never have bought, a truck I wouldn't wheel. The first scratch will rub off the new.

I still remember driving the new H2 back from quail hunting after sliding down a muddy hill and riding a downed Ponderosa log with the rock rail to keep out of a creek bed. I called my then-wife with her 6,400 lb cell phone to let her know there were some minor scrapes. Her response was to demand to know if the doors still closed. I thought my Dad and brother in law were going to hurt themselves laughing.

Do you still have your Wrangler? Or, dump $1500 into the ZJ and party on. Me, I like wheeling in a new truck, it's a new and different experience.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
If you love the gladiator's road handling you've already fooled yourself into potentially justifying possibly the worst road handling mass produced vehicle made today just to keep it on the road. It isn't even comfortable by today's standards. Most would agree with the above so no need to talk such nonsense.

We have a diesel gladiator and love it and while I get very anxious about trail damage, I also learned how to correct pin-striping and paint damage with a bit of youtube videos years ago. Here is a post from the other week where I described how to get a fairly noticeable scratch out in 10-15 minutes. Anyone can do it and you don't need to be rock crawling to get out there and have a total blast.

Jeep's own badge collection app has owners traversing things I'd never suspect a manufacturer encouraging and if you have a decent dealer within 100 miles and don't mod it to the moon, warranty coverage shouldn't be an issue. Want to play it SUPER safe, have your dealer install the very reasonably priced (and competent) fox/mopar lift. It's warrantied if installed by Jeep.

Learn some basics around clay and paint correction while taking a stab at applying ceramic coating (very easy) and you're left with a teflon finish with the ability to address scratches in batches each year. Spend a few days on the trail/camping then soak in soapy foam via pressure washer for 10 minutes then blast it back to mall crawler looking shine.

Ditch the GC, they are money pits. I tried to have something to wheel while hauling the family, that was the last non wrangler (and now gladiator) jeep product I owned.

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
My gladiator doesn't get "wheeled". It gets me to work in fair or foul weather and hauls the occasional appliance or brush. It's too damn expensive to go messing it up which wouldn't be fun to me. It has some minor upgrades, tires, rubicon takeoff suspension, bedcover, rubicon fenders. It suits me fine for suburban life but I know what it can do which is great. I don't need to outfit it with every aftermarket doodad so I can jeep LARP.

And it does drive great for a solid axle vehicle. I don't know what others are used to but Iam very pleased with the road manners of my jeep.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
My gladiator doesn't get "wheeled". It gets me to work in fair or foul weather and hauls the occasional appliance or brush. It's too damn expensive to go messing it up which wouldn't be fun to me. It has some minor upgrades, tires, rubicon takeoff suspension, bedcover, rubicon fenders. It suits me fine for suburban life but I know what it can do which is great. I don't need to outfit it with every aftermarket doodad so I can jeep LARP.

And it does drive great for a solid axle vehicle. I don't know what others are used to but Iam very pleased with the road manners of my jeep.

So suburban life glady with seemingly as much rubi takeoffs as your truck can easily accommodate with great road handling for a solid axle vehicle and you go on to say you’re not interested in Jeep LARP? Trailing and expiration is the live action… The role playing is doing exactly what you describe no? It’s astonishing (and enlightening) that somehow you’ve resolved this internally the way you have without once mentioning that you simply enjoy looking the part but to each his own.

Sponsored

Dennis K

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fineartamerica.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Gecko Sport S with Mack's Toe
Occupation
Ret
Hey Everyone,

I have loved the look of the new Gladiators (love the old ones too) since I first saw one. I never thought I would drive one......

Things change and I picked up my brand new 2021 Eco-Diesel three weeks ago. It is AWESOME!! The ride, comfort, power, looks, it checks all of my boxes in a BIG way except for one........

I have been geeking out on YouTube videos showing overlanding, rock crawling and Jeep upgrades for weeks. I couldn't wait to hit the trails in my new Jeep!!

Then reality hit with thoughts of brand new paint and mfg warranties........... It's just too pretty to take out wheelin'..... And I am feeling somewhat limited as to the upgrades for fear of creating warranty issues.

I am taking some fantastic drives up in the mountains that you certainly could not get to with the family mini-van but bypassing many of the "fun" trails......

Out of frustration, I picked up a 1993 Grand Cherokee the other day in hopes of making it something I can "learn" with. It was an odd deal and I took the car sight unseen. It was a gamble and I didn't do as well as I have on other "blind" purchases that I have made. It runs and drives fine for a 28 year old beater with 200k miles. Unfortunately, it has the worst combination of drive train that came in those cars. 4.0 Motor is great but the the 42RE and NP249 both are poor choices.

After getting it home I found that the transfer case is shot and the front diff makes a notable sound. "Gear whine"???

Now to decide:

Learn to run my Gladiator without tearing it up?

Build the Grand Cherokee? Refresh the engine, swap transmission and transfer case. 1 tons and long arms would have to be down the road a bit.

Sell the GC to a soccer mom and take another shot at a "good" beater?

What are you all with newer rigs doing? I feel a little foolish driving around a great trail rig that I am afraid to take on the trails.......

Thanks

S.
My first Jeep was a 93 GC. Ran it 280K miles... Everything great but the paint fell off... LOL

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
So suburban life glady with seemingly as much rubi takeoffs as your truck can easily accommodate with great road handling for a solid axle vehicle and you go on to say you’re not interested in Jeep LARP? Trailing and expiration is the live action… The role playing is doing exactly what you describe no? It’s astonishing (and enlightening) that somehow you’ve resolved this internally the way you have without once mentioning that you simply enjoy looking the part but to each his own.
I went with a 35Ă—10.5 inch tire with 0 offset rim. The used rubicon suspension didn't give me much lift and I didn't want to add spacers so when I found some used rubi fenders for $200 it was a no brainer. This gives me more room for when and if.

When I say LARP I mean snorkel, Jerry cans, bumpers etc. You don't have to spend thousands on your jeep and go thrash it. Part of the appeal to a jeep is the aftermarket but people go pretty overboard in my opinion. Opinion isn't politics so I think I can post that here.

Edit to add: a 35 inch tire because the gladiator is hideous with the factory sport rims and tires but I also didn't want 10 inches of tire hanging out of my fenders.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
I went with a 35Ă—10.5 inch tire with 0 offset rim. The used rubicon suspension didn't give me much lift and I didn't want to add spacers so when I found some used rubi fenders for $200 it was a no brainer. This gives me more room for when and if.

When I say LARP I mean snorkel, Jerry cans, bumpers etc. You don't have to spend thousands on your jeep and go thrash it. Part of the appeal to a jeep is the aftermarket but people go pretty overboard in my opinion. Opinion isn't politics so I think I can post that here.

Edit to add: a 35 inch tire because the gladiator is hideous with the factory sport rims and tires but I also didn't want 10 inches of tire hanging out of my fenders.
Ah, gotcha gotcha, yeah right on.

OP
OP

Stephen21

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Still looking
I'd never buy, and never have bought, a truck I wouldn't wheel. The first scratch will rub off the new.

I still remember driving the new H2 back from quail hunting after sliding down a muddy hill and riding a downed Ponderosa log with the rock rail to keep out of a creek bed. I called my then-wife with her 6,400 lb cell phone to let her know there were some minor scrapes. Her response was to demand to know if the doors still closed. I thought my Dad and brother in law were going to hurt themselves laughing.

Do you still have your Wrangler? Or, dump $1500 into the ZJ and party on. Me, I like wheeling in a new truck, it's a new and different experience.
I have never been in the habit of buying brand new cars. Prior to my Gladiator the last new car I bought was a 1987 Ford Ranger. It had crappy paint from the factory. So, my Gladiator is kind of a big deal to me. I will wheel it eventually. Maybe after the "new car smell" wears off.

OP
OP

Stephen21

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Still looking
If you love the gladiator's road handling you've already fooled yourself into potentially justifying possibly the worst road handling mass produced vehicle made today just to keep it on the road. It isn't even comfortable by today's standards. Most would agree with the above so no need to talk such nonsense.

We have a diesel gladiator and love it and while I get very anxious about trail damage, I also learned how to correct pin-striping and paint damage with a bit of youtube videos years ago. Here is a post from the other week where I described how to get a fairly noticeable scratch out in 10-15 minutes. Anyone can do it and you don't need to be rock crawling to get out there and have a total blast.

Jeep's own badge collection app has owners traversing things I'd never suspect a manufacturer encouraging and if you have a decent dealer within 100 miles and don't mod it to the moon, warranty coverage shouldn't be an issue. Want to play it SUPER safe, have your dealer install the very reasonably priced (and competent) fox/mopar lift. It's warrantied if installed by Jeep.

Learn some basics around clay and paint correction while taking a stab at applying ceramic coating (very easy) and you're left with a teflon finish with the ability to address scratches in batches each year. Spend a few days on the trail/camping then soak in soapy foam via pressure washer for 10 minutes then blast it back to mall crawler looking shine.

Ditch the GC, they are money pits. I tried to have something to wheel while hauling the family, that was the last non wrangler (and now gladiator) jeep product I owned.
Perhaps I just don't get our enough.... :)

The road handling and ride of my Gladiator are superior to any car that I have owned since I sold my Cadillac. My Wife's Wrangler comes kind of close but still does not ride like my Gladiator.

I have been learning about paint correction and am practicing on my old, ugly cars. I will take a look at your videos.

Thanks for the tips.

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
All I can say is that I’ve don some fun things, nothing extreme, but fun…. No body damage ever to any vehicle. You can wheel, have fun and explore. Just don’t go looking for stupid crap to try and you should be fine!

OP
OP

Stephen21

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Still looking
FWIW:

On my Overland I put 35x12.5r17's in it at stock height and I have no rubbing on the road or the easy trails that I have ventured onto.

I expect that if/when I get ready to get serious, I will need a 2-3.5" lift.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
The title of this thread is like click bait.
“Disappointed in my Gladiator purchase”???
Should read “Disappointed in myself for buying a Gladiator that I won’t use off-road because it’s so damn pretty when new”
Not sure how any of your gripes are the Gladiators fault, I guess you have to blame someone…right?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Jeeps are one of the few vehicles where trail rash can be a source of pride.

Grab your nut sack and get out there and quit worry about it. Otherwise, you should have bought a Honda Ridgeline.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Color choice makes a huge difference in keeping the Jeep looking good while still being able to wheel it. I've been wheeling my 2014 JK since new, and our tight New England trails have left the body covered in scratches (the kind you can catch a fingernail on, too), and the black fenders scuffed and gouged. The Bright White paint seems to hide 95% of the damage. I get comments all the time about how good it looks.

I got the same color combination on my JT. Although all it's seen so far are unmaintained dirt roads, it is super easy to keep clean and the few light scratches on it disappear in the sunlight.
Sponsored