Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTUR, 19’ F-250 Lariat Sport, 20’ Tacoma Sport, 19’ Harley CVO Road Glide
Occupation
HVAC GURU
  • Banned
Ordered Rubicon Gladiator on January 17, Jeep came in last Thursday. Went to buy it on Saturday to find 3 out of 4 scratched wheels, 3 scratches on the vehicle and more troubling passenger floor board was soaking wet. Before everyone starts ranting it’s a Jeep and is going to leak stories. The dealer said this was his first one that has come in with a roof leak already. Roof panels were water tight as they tested them. Was very disappointed in the condition of the Jeep and poor quality control from the factory. If I wanted scratches on a brand new vehicle I would at least enjoy being the one to create them. Not paying for them upfront with no pleasure in creating them myself. I have bought and sold many vehicles in my time but this was a complete joke for quality control.
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Ordered Rubicon Gladiator on January 17, Jeep came in last Thursday. Went to buy it on Saturday to find 3 out of 4 scratched wheels, 3 scratches on the vehicle and more troubling passenger floor board was soaking wet. Before everyone starts ranting it’s a Jeep and is going to leak stories. The dealer said this was his first one that has come in with a roof leak already. Roof panels were water tight as they tested them. Was very disappointed in the condition of the Jeep and poor quality control from the factory. If I wanted scratches on a brand new vehicle I would at least enjoy being the one to create them. Not paying for them upfront with no pleasure in creating them myself. I have bought and sold many vehicles in my time but this was a complete joke for quality control.
How do you differentiate between QC issues at assembly vs. issues which occur during or after delivery?

RockHopper

First Name
Silverrubicon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
How do you differentiate between QC issues at assembly vs. issues which occur during or after delivery?
That’s what I was going to say. I wonder if something happened during delivery.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
That’s what a PDI is for. Be mad at your dealer for trying to pass it off to you without checking it over and fixing any issues.

Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
So did you buy it?

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
I think even you can admit this is not the norm. To blame Jeep QQ is, dramatic. Guarantee if a majority of happy gladiator owners had scratches or soaked floors upon purchase, then they would not have bought the vehicle.

You have nothing to complain about since there is a simple fix to your issue . Don't buy the vehicle!!!

If you did in fact purchase the vehicle, well you now have to make sure the dealer addresses all of your concerns.

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Sounds like you're dealer did a really bad job of doing the PDI, or they did a good job and they were just trying to pass crap off to you. I would be more annoyed at your dealer than FCA. Did you test the roof for leaks? It is possible that when the dealer got it they washed it and some guy got water in a door or window that was ajar. A good test is to either run it through a high pressure car wash, or have someone sit inside of it while you blast all of the weather molding with a hose.

I understand it's disappointing, but there is a solution here.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
6/10 score on the rant but I guess you are entitled to that. Left out the usual comments of how much you spent and expecting correlating quality level to that amount.

Sucks to here. I found a couple of brackets under mine that only had the fastener on a couple of threads.

So did you refuse delivery?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Working in the transportation and logistics industry for almost 20 years. We won't even get involved in movement of personal vehicles, etc due to the high risk of damage all of which we have seen over the years occurs during the transportation phases. Most all damage occurs during the period when a vehicle is turned over to the overland trucking company, rail company, coloaders or in the case of ocean and air at the port terminals or the airports. In other words its highly possible the scratches, etc happened when Jeep had little control over the vehicle. I know you would say well Jeep hires these people to move their product and that is true and most companies do their best to try to prevent things but when you move so many things happen and all it takes is just one careless person that had a off day or someone that didn't give a damn. Of course Jeep or its service providers should make things right for you in some fashion.

Sponsored

OP
OP

1911tacticalnut

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTUR, 19’ F-250 Lariat Sport, 20’ Tacoma Sport, 19’ Harley CVO Road Glide
Occupation
HVAC GURU
To begin with I don't need your approvals to realize piss poor quality control when I see it. It is what it is, as I stated in the header.
Was just letting everyone know how poorly they check these vehicles out which explains why so many vehicles leave the factory with defects,
especially when people are having ESS codes start flashing as they drive them off of the lots, and then the JEEP shuts down and is in repair for months on end.
JEEP knows they have a problem with that but won't fix it. I guess that's not their fault either.
Whether you want to admit it or not JEEP truly does not care what they ship out of the plant. Once it's built with problems or not it will ship at all costs and then lay the burden upon the consumer or even the dealers.
The transport company won't scratch 3 out of 4 wheels and 2 of the 3 scratches on the vehicle were under the clear protective film on the vehicle. You would also think after so many years of JEEP having water leaks that they would actually test the vehicle for water leaks before leaving the factory.
Which water leaks lead to further damages in vehicles. Such as wiring harnesses getting soaked and causing electrical issues as well as creating an environment to have black mold growing in places it shouldn't, which can and will become toxic if unattended.
I have been thru this on a 2017 Ford F-350 Dually which ruined the truck and had to make them buy it back.
The dealer admits they only look for obvious damage when they unload the vehicle so the scratches were missed by them. The dealer won't give me new wheels or fix the paint because JEEP will not work with them after signing for the delivery. Especially for what discount they gave me on the deal to begin with.
As I stated in my original post we did do a water test which was negative and the dealer hadn't cleaned the vehicle yet, so they hadn't done any washing of the vehicle yet. So it was finding it's way in from somewhere. Heck even the white stains from the salt off the roads were still on the JEEP so they really hadn't had much of a chance to do anything.
I have no real reason to be upset with the dealer because it is damage done before it left the plant. Also the dealer has been great to work with and very understanding so it wouldn't seem right to blame them as so many JEEP LOVERS on here automatically do. In their eyes JEEP can do no wrong no matter what and that's just plum crazy.
I did decline the vehicle and they will be sending it back to JEEP for one more go of it. I will be reordering the RUBICON one more time. Also have the manager checking into the availability of ordering the Gladiator MOJAVE.
Don't get me wrong I really loved the Gladiator but was just very disappointed in the condition it was delivered in and shouldn't have left the factory that way.
Not looking to get into a pissing contest with a bunch of knot heads. Just stating facts of my experience so far with this particular JEEP.
Have a great day.

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
May I suggest:

81fBJvZoV1L._AC_SX466_.jpg

But seriously my guy. I'm sure we are all sympathetic here, but what do you want from us? that water easily could have been from a logistic guys boots or maybe they loaded it in the rain, if the leak test didn't show any problem then it had to come from somewhere. As far as the scratch wheels go I don't see why the dealer couldn't just file a claim with the logistics company or Jeep and get replacements. That seems like a pretty easy thing they should be able to sort

Anyway it sounds like you're handling it well.

Last edited:

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
To begin with I don't need your approvals to realize piss poor quality control when I see it. It is what it is, as I stated in the header.
Was just letting everyone know how poorly they check these vehicles out which explains why so many vehicles leave the factory with defects,
especially when people are having ESS codes start flashing as they drive them off of the lots, and then the JEEP shuts down and is in repair for months on end.
JEEP knows they have a problem with that but won't fix it. I guess that's not their fault either.
Whether you want to admit it or not JEEP truly does not care what they ship out of the plant. Once it's built with problems or not it will ship at all costs and then lay the burden upon the consumer or even the dealers.
The transport company won't scratch 3 out of 4 wheels and 2 of the 3 scratches on the vehicle were under the clear protective film on the vehicle. You would also think after so many years of JEEP having water leaks that they would actually test the vehicle for water leaks before leaving the factory.
Which water leaks lead to further damages in vehicles. Such as wiring harnesses getting soaked and causing electrical issues as well as creating an environment to have black mold growing in places it shouldn't, which can and will become toxic if unattended.
I have been thru this on a 2017 Ford F-350 Dually which ruined the truck and had to make them buy it back.
The dealer admits they only look for obvious damage when they unload the vehicle so the scratches were missed by them. The dealer won't give me new wheels or fix the paint because JEEP will not work with them after signing for the delivery. Especially for what discount they gave me on the deal to begin with.
As I stated in my original post we did do a water test which was negative and the dealer hadn't cleaned the vehicle yet, so they hadn't done any washing of the vehicle yet. So it was finding it's way in from somewhere. Heck even the white stains from the salt off the roads were still on the JEEP so they really hadn't had much of a chance to do anything.
I have no real reason to be upset with the dealer because it is damage done before it left the plant. Also the dealer has been great to work with and very understanding so it wouldn't seem right to blame them as so many JEEP LOVERS on here automatically do. In their eyes JEEP can do no wrong no matter what and that's just plum crazy.
I did decline the vehicle and they will be sending it back to JEEP for one more go of it. I will be reordering the RUBICON one more time. Also have the manager checking into the availability of ordering the Gladiator MOJAVE.
Don't get me wrong I really loved the Gladiator but was just very disappointed in the condition it was delivered in and shouldn't have left the factory that way.
Not looking to get into a pissing contest with a bunch of knot heads. Just stating facts of my experience so far with this particular JEEP.
Have a great day.
I still don’t understand how to assess when the damages occurred. Given the fact that 99% of sales people are full of crap, and there is no ability to speak with someone at the factory final inspection point, how do make that determination?

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Dude, you came on here and posted a rant without photos or much information. Then you come back with more information after people reply and call us "JEEP LOVERS" (which most of us are, BTW; but you seem to be using the term in a derogatory way implying we blindly defend the manufacturer which is not true) and "knot heads" because we made suggestions based on the limited information we had.

They don't just build and ship it out "with problems or not"...just ask some of the members here who waited much longer than expected and it turned out to be held at the factory to fix a minor issue (one I recall reading had a stitching issue on the seat).

Is it possible Jeep shipped out a damaged vehicle? Yes. But again, that is why dealers charge for the PDI and anything wrong should be fixed before you even see the truck. It is up to them to fight with FCA to pay to fix everything, not just pass it off to the buyer "because JEEP will not work with them after signing for the delivery". That sounds unlikely to me; I'd think there would be a sign-off after PDI, not delivery to the lot. Perhaps someone who works at a dealership will see this and chime in here. If it is after PDI, then your dealer's service department did a crappy job inspecting it. Either way, it sounds like that's the dealer's problem, not yours; you paid for a new vehicle, so it should be handed over to you in new condition.

Or is it possible the delivery truck driver messed something up and tried to cover it up so he wouldn't get in trouble (or his/her boss instructed the driver to cover it up so they wouldn't be charged for the damage)? You don't think the shipping company would have extra film to replace any that might have got damaged when the driver was loading the trailer? And maybe, just maybe, the driver (or someone at the dealership) left the passenger window open after unloading and it rained?

You refusing to close the deal was the smartest thing you've said in this thread.
Sponsored