Sponsored

Discount Tire to aquire Tire Rack

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. and SOUTH BEND, Ind., Dec. 3, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Discount Tire, a leading independent retailer of tires and wheels, is acquiring Tire Rack, a leading independent tire tester and consumer-direct source for tires, wheels and performance accessories.

Full Story
Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Considering that they both already have mega buying powers, their prices are already at their best competing with each other. This merger/buyout will eliminate competition and prices will increase more hidden buy the already increasing price of tires.
Maybe I am wrong and their 'Family Owned' status will push for simply the best from both companies.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Interesting but not necessarily the best for the consumer price wise. Yes I can see massive gains on the vendor side but I also see redundancy layoffs and overall reductions on manpower needs.

Sponsored

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
Interesting but not necessarily the best for the consumer price wise. Yes I can see massive gains on the vendor side but I also see redundancy layoffs and overall reductions on manpower needs.
Exactly this. It may take months for the integrations but at that point you can bet they will be restructuring and there will be RIFs.

OP
OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
I don't have anything against Discount Tire. But my next set of tires was going to be from Tire Rack for several reasons.

-I live close to one of their warehouses. And they give a discount if your pick them up there.
-Free 2 year road hazard.
-Partnership with local installers that give discounts if your purchase for TR.

I hope these things don't go away after the merger.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
If this is like the cell phone companies mergers that they tried for years to do, the government can stop it if it makes competition go away.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Kiis the Tire Rack prices and usually fast shipping goodbye. Will prob make you use Discount as the installer too
I sure hope not, because there are no discount tire locations in my area. I always use the local Firestone when I order from Discount Tire.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
To be fair we are all being pessimistic about it. They may merge and continue operations as separate but allied entities, leveraging their purchasing power and expanding the places you can have do the install.

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
While it definitely reduces competition, don't forget that they still have to compete with Amazon.

For whatever it's worth, when shopping for tires lately Amazon has had better prices than both Discount and Tire Rack, faster shipping, and you can pick whatever installer you want.

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence
While it definitely reduces competition, don't forget that they still have to compete with Amazon.

For whatever it's worth, when shopping for tires lately Amazon has had better prices than both Discount and Tire Rack, faster shipping, and you can pick whatever installer you want.
This^ 100%

Amazon, ebay, and surprisingly walmart (online) are what is going to keep prices in check for any other retailer.

I am weirdly passionate about tires and TireRack's testing has long been a stable resource for me. I'm excited by what Discount Tire's acquisition can do for them, hopefully expanding on the good parts of their business

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Walmart, amazon, tire buyer have all done right by me as well. Tire buyer i've actually used quite a bit, even took a return on some trail grapplers for my ram that I was unhappy with after mounting.
Sponsored