Banned
First Name
Mikiko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
land cruiser 2018
  • Banned
Hi Everyone, Thought I this would spur a lot of good advice. I have declared 2020 the year of my new truck. I was looking at a 2020 ford Raptor as there are rumors a v8 could happen for it. BUT then I saw the new Jeep Gladiator and the 2020 model will get a diesel engine. My dad just got a new F-150 Platinum and I love how it drives and handles, so I suspect the Raptor will be the same if not better given the adaptive Fox shocks. Here is a little about me to help with your guidance.
I am 30 and live in a CA, no kids, but a dog that goes everywhere with me. I work a 9-5 in the city, but spend most of my free time and vacation in the mountains or desert, camping, hiking, ADV, etc. The truck wouldn't be my daily commuter, but my weekend escape from the city vehicle so I am not really worried about gas mileage. The big things I need the truck for are hauling gear or my bike and a buddy's around to different trails. Going pretty much where I want for camping or hiking and not worrying about getting stuck. I feel like the last one might be the biggest con of the Raptor, that thing is a beast and wide AF so I know there are some trails where I won't fit width wise and a pain to park if I need to find drive it in the city(my apt building has reserved spaces so not an issue there). The biggest con of the Gladiator, is that I am not a Jeep Wrangler person at all. So worried I am gonna get sucked into that culture whenever I stop at a campsite or out on a trail.
Lastly, before the conversation about buying a cheaper truck and upgrading it yourself comes to mind, please remember I live in the city and don't have access to a garage. Also, the Raptor has been maintaining crazy high re-sale value, so why mess with a good thing. Also, know the Gladiator hasn't rolled out yet, but I know there are more than a few people on here that have inside info :)
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
7467204E-D6A7-4D2E-8B60-07F89AC47B0E.jpeg
766AF8C2-68A9-4ED5-A8AA-33779BED2BE4.jpeg
The raptor is wide as hell, and it’s a full size beast. The supercab raptor would be a nice truck to get for sure. You can score them for under MSRP I have been seeing also which is nice. The gladiator will be about the same length as the supercab raptor, but wins in the girth dept; will be much easier to park. Two totally different trucks so it’s hard to compare the 2. I had a 2017 raptor crewcab and wished I would had gotten the supercab. The shorter wheelbase on those is nice. The gladiator needs to put a price out already so decisions can be made!

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Not much of a discussion from what you wrote as both will serve your purpose. Both can have a winch installed, both have high resale values (try buying a 10 yr old LWB TJ Rubicon in good condition for under 18k) and the JT can be modified to be as big as a raptor - think 37's. Sucked into a culture... could be the same if you see another raptor guy on the trail. Maybe StarrsRN will see you out there and want to be your buddy. lol

Do you want a truck that you can drive without the tops and doors or not?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Both will work for you, but the Gladiator can haul 66 sheets of plywood, so it gets most of the votes here. Sorry tutu, it's been a joke as of late.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
The Raptor is going to have more front and rear interior room as well as cargo room in the bed. But the JT is the largest of the mid-size trucks and has just enough room for a couple guys in the back. Honestly, your question will he answered if you sit in a four door JL. You will see how much narrower the vehicle is than a full-size and if that works for you. If the size Works, take it for a spin. The JT will ride differently, but you can get a feel for the driver positioning, cockpit view, and seating comfort. I can tell you this, running errands in the city and parking is going to be much less tedious. You won’t have to back into every spot and probably less door dings. City driving should be pretty fun Other than everyone stopping to ask you a million questions. Trailwise both are obviously highly capable with the narrower track on the JT coming in handy on tighter trails. Freeway wise I’d say the Raptor is going to be faster and quieter.

Sponsored

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I lean towards being a Ford guy, and always wanted a Raptor. The thing that has kept me from ever buying one are their on road capabilities. The one I like the most, super cab with its #6,000 towing and #1,000 cargo, is beat by every mid size truck sold in the US. The crew cab isn't a lot better with #8,000 towing and #1,200 cargo. Since you mentioned hauling bikes and gear and friends and your dog, those cargo numbers will be maxed out pretty quickly. Lastly, since you aren't fond of the width of the Raptor and not crazy about the Jeep culture I recommend looking at a Tacoma or Chevy Zr2.

Last edited:

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
I would suggest the ZR2, or even the ZR2 bison if you are really trying to avoid "jeep culture" Vs. the jeep gladiator. its mid-size so way narrower then the raptor. (fun fact, the new raptors are just as wide as military Humvee measuring track with) it will probably be cheaper then California raptor prices too.

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
Both will work but based off what you said about living in the city and narrow trails it sounds like a gladiator with a hard top (living on the city and no garage to put your gladiator means the top could get cut by some jackass so you should get a hardtop) would work the best because it is much more narrow. Also I agree with @Malarkey21 about considering a zr2. Also Tacoma TRD pro is worth a look.

Centexan

First Name
Coleburn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 2500
I'm not a Jeeper (yet!) but I figure jeep culture is what you make of it. You want to go trailing with other Jeepers, go to Jeep Jamborees, Camp Jeep etc, you can, but if you don't you don't have to.

Sponsored

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
Not much of a discussion from what you wrote as both will serve your purpose. Both can have a winch installed, both have high resale values (try buying a 10 yr old LWB TJ Rubicon in good condition for under 18k) and the JT can be modified to be as big as a raptor - think 37's. Sucked into a culture... could be the same if you see another raptor guy on the trail. Maybe StarrsRN will see you out there and want to be your buddy. lol

Do you want a truck that you can drive without the tops and doors or not?
Yea it can be modified to be as big as the raptor for a lot more money. The 2 can’t be compared as they are different trucks in every way. Full size vs midsize. 285 HP vs well over 400 lol. Prices is going to be the only similarity between these 2 trucks. I hope the gladiator comes in underneath a stock raptor. We shall see

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Apologize if this is repeated. First, Try jeep, Drive Jeep. Perhaps you will drive a Jeep off road and don't like it. I have never met anyone who did that. Second, Drive Jeep, Be Jeep. Did you say jeep culture? Lol. we ain't got no culture. We drive Jeep's. Lol. Or meet a Jeep girl. That works too. Best of luck!

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Yea it can be modified to be as big as the raptor for a lot more money. The 2 can’t be compared as they are different trucks in every way. Full size vs midsize. 285 HP vs well over 400 lol. Prices is going to be the only similarity between these 2 trucks. I hope the gladiator comes in underneath a stock raptor. We shall see
Does that mean you won't hang out with Tutu on the trail? Anyway, I meant that they will both get him to the woods, but 1 has the option to do it without doors and a roof.

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
Does that mean you won't hang out with Tutu on the trail? Anyway, I meant that they will both get him to the woods, but 1 has the option to do it without doors and a roof.
Nah @jeepguy225 you can take your renegade to the trail if you’d like ;)

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Nah @jeepguy225 you can take your renegade to the trail if you’d like ;)
haha, ok. the renegade is a road and beach cruiser only. If I break something, I have to fly the parts in to fix it. Finding that stuff in Ecuador is quite difficult. I have flown a gas tank, skid plate, brakes, axles, etc. down there.
Sponsored