Sponsored

DIY Drawers

EWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Jeep Gladiator DIY Drawers Final

After getting my RSI Smartcap installed I decided to go the route of building some drawers for the bed. There were several factors driving the decision to build my own versus purchasing something off the shelf. One, I like to do stuff myself :rock:. Two, I wanted to be able to easily remove the drawers if necessary. Three, I like to do stuff myself:giggle:.

So I hit the net and started searching. Fortunately there are tons of examples on other boards where folks detailed a drawer build of one kind or another. Examples run the gamut from a few sheets of plywood and 2x4s to fully welded frames and the like. I chose to build a space frame from extruded aluminum bits readily available online and use plywood for the top and drawers.

The space frame was built from bits purchased from Tnutz.com. I drew up my design and had them cut all the extrusions to the proper lengths. I have an old chop saw but it was a much better decision to let them do the cutting. I saved a few bucks by tapping all the ends to 1/4-20 threads myself. In hindsight I probably didn't need as many corner gussets as I used but what do I know; I'm not an engineer.

The drawer slides were purchased off Amazon and I made a design compromise on these. I could have used full 56" 500lb locking drawer slides so I would be able to stand in the extended drawers. There are YouTube videos of others doing the like. Those slides would have been about $400+ for two pair. At about half the cost were 40" 200lb slides. This meant that 1) I can't stand in my drawers and 2) The drawers only extend out 40" with the depth of my design being 56". Considering cost and weight savings, these were acceptable compromises. The last 16" of drawer space is where I plan to stuff things I don't use often.

Here's the completed space frame with drawer slides installed.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Drawers Spaceframe

With the frame complete, I built basic drawers from 3/4 plywood. The image is of my first try using some garbage plywood from Lowes. I ended up rebuilding them with some oak plywood using the same design. If there were a nearby option to get some Baltic Birch I would have used that instead.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Drawers Drawer

Next I used the same oak plywood to cut two sections for the tops. I used a cardboard template and jigsaw to match the bed contours reasonably closely. I also added a few cutouts to access the space on the sides of the drawers. Many examples I saw used hinged wings to access all the space on the sides. I decided to forgo this option since I wanted to run tie down tracks on top for a fridge etc. In retrospect, I should have made the cutouts a little larger so that I could drop my Jackery battery down the hole if desired. The space on top of the wheel wells is essentially unreachable though it is minimal. If I find later that I want access to that space I'll add a few more cutouts. Here's the basic look with the tops in place and a preliminary location for the cargo tracks. I later recessed these into the plywood using a router.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Drawers Tops

I used some 3M adhesive to attach speaker enclosure material to the top. I chose this instead of carpet since it will not fray or unravel. Time will tell how durable it is.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Drawers Felt

I used the right wing panel to provide auxiliary DC access. The panel is connected to a cigarette lighter plug that goes into my DIY electric panel in the bed.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Drawers AuxDC

Lastly I decided to cover the drawer fronts and drawer interiors in Raptor bedliner. One bottle of the two part Raptor was not quite enough to cover the drawers completely. It's a bit thin on the interiors and I didn't quite get complete coverage inside. It was relatively easy to spray at 50 psi. In hindsight I would have done it in better light so the thin coverage would have been easier to see.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Drawers Raptor

I used locking paddle handles for the drawers and cut a small notch in the extrusions above the drawer centers for them to catch on. The tops are held in place with 4 bolts that are lined up with captive nuts attached to the space frame. This makes installing/removal a snap. Lastly, I glued various thickness pieces of rubber at the lower six contact points with the bed. There are three up front and three in the rear as well as a few on the front of the space frame.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Drawers RubberSpacer

Lastly I added some turnbuckles to the four corners to secure the drawers to the bed as well as some lightweight panels along the sides to prevent anything from sliding into the drawer space from the side pockets.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Drawers Turnbuckles

All done! Installation and removal is just a few minutes should the need arise.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Drawers DOne

Time lapse of the final install. Time for a cold one!

Sponsored

Last edited:

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Jeep Gladiator
Jeep Gladiator DIY Drawers DIY Drawer Install

After getting my RSI Smartcap installed I decided to go the route of building some drawers for the bed. There were several factors driving the decision to build my own versus purchasing something off the shelf. One, I like to do stuff myself :rock:. Two, I wanted to be able to easily remove the drawers if necessary. Three, I like to do stuff myself:giggle:.

So I hit the net and started searching. Fortunately there are tons of examples on other boards where folks detailed a drawer build of one kind or another. Examples run the gamut from a few sheets of plywood and 2x4s to fully welded frames and the like. I chose to build a space frame from extruded aluminum bits readily available online and use plywood for the top and drawers.

The space frame was built from bits purchased from Tnutz.com. I drew up my design and had them cut all the extrusions to the proper lengths. I have an old chop saw but it was a much better decision to let them do the cutting. I saved a few bucks by tapping all the ends to 1/4-20 threads myself. In hindsight I probably didn't need as many corner gussets as I used but what do I know; I'm not an engineer.

The drawer slides were purchased off Amazon and I made a design compromise on these. I could have used full 56" 500lb draw slides so I would be able to stand in the extended drawers. There are YouTube videos of others doing the like. Those slides would have been about $400+ for two pair. At about half the cost were 40" 200lb slides. This meant that 1) I can't stand in my drawers and 2) The drawers only extend out 40" with the depth of my design being 56". Considering cost and weight savings, these were acceptable compromises. The last 16" of drawer space is where I plan to stuff things I don't use often.

Here's the completed space frame with drawer slides installed.

With the frame complete, I built basic drawers from 3/4 plywood. The image is of my first try using some garbage plywood from Lowes. I ended up rebuilding them with some oak plywood using the same design. If there were a nearby option to get some Baltic Birch I would have used that instead.

Next I used the same oak plywood to cut two sections for the tops. I used a cardboard template and jigsaw to match the bed contours reasonably closely. I also added a few cutouts to access the space on the sides of the drawers. Many examples I saw used hinged wings to access all the space on the sides. I decided to forgo this option since I wanted to run tie down tracks on top for a fridge etc. In retrospect, I should have made the cutouts a little larger so that I could drop my Jackery battery down the hole if desired. The space on top of the wheel wells is essentially unreachable though it is minimal. If I find later that I want access to that space I'll add a few more cutouts. Here's the basic look with the tops in place and a preliminary location for the cargo tracks. I later recessed these into the plywood using a router.

I used some 3M adhesive to attach speaker enclosure material to the top. I chose this instead of carpet since it will not fray or unravel. Time will tell how durable it is.

I used the right wing panel to provide auxiliary DC access. The panel is connected to a cigarette lighter plug that goes into my DIY electric panel in the bed.

Lastly I decided to cover the drawer fronts and drawer interiors in Raptor bedliner. One bottle of the two part Raptor was not quite enough to cover the drawers completely. It's a bit thin on the interiors and I didn't quite get complete coverage inside. It was relatively easy to spray at 50 psi. In hindsight I would have done it in better light so the thin coverage would have been easier to see.

I used locking paddle handles for the drawers and cut a small notch in the extrusions above the drawer centers for them to catch on. The tops are held in place with 4 bolts that are lined up with captive nuts attached to the space frame. This makes installing/removal a snap. Lastly, I glued various thickness pieces of rubber at the lower six contact points with the bed. There are three up front and three in the rear as well as a few on the front of the space frame.

Lastly I added some turnbuckles to the four corners to secure the drawers to the bed as well as some lightweight panels along the sides to prevent anything from sliding into the drawer space from the side pockets.

All done! Installation and removal is just a few minutes should the need arise.

Time lapse of the final install. Time for a cold one!

What’s the all in cost for this setup?

OP
OP
EWP

EWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I need to do an exact tally but approximately:

Space frame parts: $350
Plywood: $200
Bedliner $70
Polymat Felt: $30
Paddle Latches: $50
L-Track: $165
Glue/Screws/Misc: $75

Total: $910

Sponsored

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Jeep Gladiator
I need to do an exact tally but approximately:

Space frame parts: $350
Plywood: $200
Bedliner $70
Polymat Felt: $30
Paddle Latches: $50
L-Track: $165
Glue/Screws/Misc: $75

Total: $910
That’s perfect.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
At about half the cost were 40" 200lb slides. This meant that 1) I can't stand in my drawers...
This is awesome! Great job.

You might want to double-check with the vendor; I could be wrong, but I believe that rating is per hinge, so unless you are over 400 lbs (or have a lot of really heavy gear in each drawer), you should be able to stand on the drawers.

Speaking of which, how much do you think the whole thing weighs?

Reactions: EWP
OP
OP
EWP

EWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
To be honest, I was mostly joking about standing in the drawers. I think the 200lb slides should be more than enough for my needs.

As for weight, I forgot to weigh everything before putting it back in. Next time it’s out I’ll weigh the parts. If I had to guess, I’d say 100 lbs give or take 20.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
To be honest, I was mostly joking about standing in the drawers. I think the 200lb slides should be more than enough for my needs.

As for weight, I forgot to weigh everything before putting it back in. Next time it’s out I’ll weigh the parts. If I had to guess, I’d say 100 lbs give or take 20.
I did wonder about the “standing on the drawers” comment, but figured maybe you were using it to access gear on the roof of your cap.

100 lbs is not bad at all! :like:

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

Great job. Exactly the type of setup I would be interested it. Minimal wasted space as well - not like Decked systems with non-square drawers and the wasted space between them.

But don't forget, the when you pull the drawers all the way out, if the object at the front is very heavy, it will be even heavier. Just try lifting a broom parallel to the ground by holding the end vs. the middle vs. at the broom head.

Any way to get ahold of the measurements you had them cut the frame to?

Sponsored

OP
OP
EWP

EWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Any way to get ahold of the measurements you had them cut the frame to?
Front to back bars are 56" x 6.
Lateral bars are 40" x 4.
Vertical bars are 8" x 15.

That makes the entire frame with corner connections 58" long, 42" wide, and 10" tall.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Front to back bars are 56" x 6.
Lateral bars are 40" x 4.
Vertical bars are 8" x 15.

That makes the entire frame with corner connections 58" long, 42" wide, and 10" tall.
Which series of extrusion components did you use?

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Watching this makes me anxious for shorts and bare feet weather. 😆
But seriously, awesome job!

Reactions: EWP
OP
OP
EWP

EWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Watching this makes me anxious for shorts and bare feet weather. 😆
But seriously, awesome job!
Well, we have two seasons down here in South Texas: Summer and Not Summer. Two weeks ago it was 18 out. This weekend 80s. I guess Summer is here.
Sponsored