DIY Hardtop hoist ideas - brainstorming

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm looking to build a hardtop hoist and trying to come up with some ideas. Concerns:

1. I could bolt into the rafters, but that could jeopardize the structure of the trusses if I don't get the exact centers, even when using 2x4s cross-ways to distribute the weight - I could mess up several cross beams that way too. I've heard of a few disasters online (not necessarily Jeep hard top specific). It would be a major project getting up into the attic (I have a very low attic, crawl only).

2. I've seen the stand on wheels that they make, but it looks kind of wobbly.

3. I watched several YouTube videos of DIY hardtop hoists and the kind you buy and it looks like the straps, hooks, etc. are creasing the edges and in some cases chipping or marking up the paint. That can't be good.

Brainstorming ideas:

A. How about a lesser expensive engine lift (or used), modify it with a flat tray on the top, attach several thick mover's blankets or thick padding of some kind, then jack it up so only the mover's blankets / padding touches the underside? That way it won't crush the edges. Just need to make the flat tray wide enough so it isn't tipsy.

B. Four pulleys, but instead of straps crushing the edges, put two metal bars front to back but with a tray in he middle with thick padding so it only touches the underside?

C. Other ideas? I've been searching Google, YouTube, Google Images, etc. but there has to be a better mouse trap.

Thanks.
Sponsored

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I'm looking to build a hardtop hoist and trying to come up with some ideas. Concerns:

1. I could bolt into the rafters, but that could jeopardize the structure of the trusses if I don't get the exact centers, even when using 2x4s cross-ways to distribute the weight - I could mess up several cross beams that way too. I've heard of a few disasters online (not necessarily Jeep hard top specific). It would be a major project getting up into the attic (I have a very low attic, crawl only).

3. I watched several YouTube videos of DIY hardtop hoists and the kind you buy and it looks like the straps, hooks, etc. are creasing the edges and in some cases chipping or marking up the paint. That can't be good.

Brainstorming ideas:

A. How about a lesser expensive engine lift (or used), modify it with a flat tray on the top, attach several thick mover's blankets or thick padding of some kind, then jack it up so only the mover's blankets / padding touches the underside? That way it won't crush the edges. Just need to make the flat tray wide enough so it isn't tipsy.

B. Four pulleys, but instead of straps crushing the edges, put two metal bars front to back but with a tray in he middle with thick padding so it only touches the underside?

C. Other ideas? I've been searching Google, YouTube, Google Images, etc. but there has to be a better mouse trap.

Thanks.
I have the Langley hoist. Works well and where the straps go through the back i used pool noodles to cushion where the strap is against the window seal.

Skippy

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco 351W, 2021 Rubicon 4xe

Brainstorming ideas:

Thanks.
You could still go with option 3. However when using the straps just hook 2 of them together in the middle of the top so it is only the straps that are touching the painted areas versus the plastic lined hooks. I still have my 4 straps hanging from my rafters that I used for my jk top, my '96 bronco top and will also use for my JL top.
EDIT: I found the video I used for ideas when looking at doing my own.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This is what I am going to build when my JL arrives. Very simple. I would not worry too much about your trusses As long as you span 2 trusses with the 2x4 cross members you should be fine. I don't think the hard top weights that much.
I really like how he has it configured to store the hardtop on a solid surface so it doesn't hang the hole time. Brilliant. Thanks for sharing this video.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Does anyone have concerns that hanging the hardtop for any period of time could warp, bend, etc. making it harder to fit back on and/or cause a leak?

Skippy

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco 351W, 2021 Rubicon 4xe
I never had any issues with mine. Everything bolts back on and latches in place so I would think if there was even the slightest bit of warping it would be corrected with putting it all back on. Like I said I didn't have any issues with my straps and am going to still use them on the JLUR once the weather is nice enough here to take the top off. I think the biggest thing when letting it hang is to keep it as even as possible but it does hang on 4 corners so is fine.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I found this drawing while doing a Google images search... looks like it plugs into the hitch and can swing away so you can place it on a flat table or something.

crane.jpg

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
This is what I am going to build when my JL arrives. Very simple. I would not worry too much about your trusses As long as you span 2 trusses with the 2x4 cross members you should be fine. I don't think the hard top weights that much.
Guy is scratching his sh** up

Sponsored

ZeeCutt

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLUR

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
I hung a hoist in my garage, I used unistrut to span joists. I also made a cradle for hoist so I could put it where I wanted on the unistrut tracks. I have used it on my 15 JKU every summer.

20180302_184407.jpg

20180302_184400.jpg

20180302_184412.jpg

20180302_184457.jpg

Matt829

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 F150 02 Corvette Z06
The hardtop doesn't weigh very much at all when the weight is distributed evenly.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR