Texan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Want to keep the heat off the top of your head and turn the decibel level down inside the cab a notch or two at highway speeds, but also want a custom look? This is what I did for a DIY headliner solution.

x1 4x8 x 3/4" thick sheet of EPS insulated foam board (foil lined) - local big box lumber store (Lowes in my case)
x1 can spray adhesive - same big box - I had some 3M Super 77 left over from the speaker box build I did
appx. 2 yds of vinyl depending on width - sourced mine from Katzkin so it would match leather on my seats
appx. 6 sq. ft. of sound deadening material - for me it was leftover Kilmat from my audio intstall
adhesive backed velcro tape - Amazon - I used 2"x 5 yard Stronghold hook and loop
scrap cardboard to make templates out of
a few basic tools - I used a box cutter, 1" roller, and a hand stapler with 1/4" staples -I don't trust the spray glue to hold up based on my sub box experience

Started by creating some templates out of cardboard. Only needed to do 1 side and you can flip them over for the other - no difference from side to side:
Jeep Gladiator DIY Headliner for Dummies 20210416_134703

Transfer that to your foam board and cut your panels. I beveled the edges of my front panels so they would fit snug all the way around. Reminder to keep up with which side faces what direction since you are cutting some things from the back side at times. Keep the foil side up on the panels (back side) and vinyl wrap the non-foiled side. Straight cuts on the rear panels worked fine. Space them out on your vinyl and cut allowing approximately 2" extra around the perimeters to roll over the sides and staple on the back. Spray adhesive the vinyl and foam board (white side), give it a few minutes to tack up, and center up the foam panel on the vinyl and stick it down. Flip it over and smooth it all out so you don't have any wrinkles, shoot another pass of spray adhesive along the edges, allow to tack, and start folding the vinyl up and over. I wasn't overly concerned with how pretty it looked since it wont be seen once installed. Even the corners don't have to be perfect since the panels are fitted to the roof. Based on my experience with this cheap spray adhesive, I didn't want to stretch the vinyl very much and I went overkill and stapled the crap out of it along the edges in hopes that it doesn't come apart over time:
Jeep Gladiator DIY Headliner for Dummies 20210412_214306
Jeep Gladiator DIY Headliner for Dummies 20210415_163216
Jeep Gladiator DIY Headliner for Dummies 20210415_163232

Cut 2-1/2" wide strips of the Kilmat and fill in the recessed areas of the rear roof and use 2" wide strips in the front panels. Much easier to do with the roof removed (mine was hanging in the garage):
Jeep Gladiator DIY Headliner for Dummies 20210412_212351

Jeep Gladiator DIY Headliner for Dummies 20210415_183547

Cut your velcro or 'hook and loop' into short strips and align on the raised areas of the roof. I applied these to the rear panels first and then pressed the panels into place in the roof. Did the opposite on the fronts since they are smaller and easier to eyeball and align the panels. This velcro seems very strong, so if you think you might want to remove the panels at a later time, be conservative on how long and how many strips you use:
Jeep Gladiator DIY Headliner for Dummies 20210412_215211

Align your panels, press into place with the palms of your hands (not knuckles or you will leave indentations on your foam board - ask me how I know), and that's all there is to it! So easy I plan to do the sides of the top behind the rear doors as well when I can get to it:
Jeep Gladiator DIY Headliner for Dummies 20210416_112711
Jeep Gladiator DIY Headliner for Dummies 20210415_222722
Jeep Gladiator DIY Headliner for Dummies 20210412_215735

Hope this helps someone give it a shot as well.
Sponsored

Outdork

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Realtor & Property Manager
I did the same install last week, however I also added egg crate foam on the non-reflective side. I have nothing to compare it to obviously, but the interior noise is dramatically better. The only area where the extra width causes issue is with the front clamp on the rooftop panel, but since it is foam, the foam just gives in. Very happy with the outcome, especially coming in under $70 for front and rear.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Looks good. Ill take 2 LOL What would you guess you have in materials?

OP
OP
Texan

Texan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good. Ill take 2 LOL What would you guess you have in materials?
Ha!
Hard to say since I already had some of the stuff left over from my audio project (write up coming soon).
4x8 EPS foam board around $13.
Super 77 spray adhesive around $10.
I want to say my vinyl from Katzkin was around $30/yrd, but you can get basic black vinyl for less than $10/yrd at big box craft stores like Hobby Lobby.
I used a 36 sq. ft. box of the 80 mil Kilmat for my floors and speaker cavities, but I had plenty left over for the headliner strips. it runs $52 on Amazon, but you can get an 18 sq. ft box for $30 which is way more than needed for this project. You can also get Noico in a 5 sq. ft. box for around $13, but I haven't used it. I had read that the Kilmat was low odor compared to other stuff so it went with it.

So this could easily be done for around $60 to $70 bucks depending on vinyl choice.

OP
OP
Texan

Texan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I did the same install last week, however I also added egg crate foam on the non-reflective side. I have nothing to compare it to obviously, but the interior noise is dramatically better. The only area where the extra width causes issue is with the front clamp on the rooftop panel, but since it is foam, the foam just gives in. Very happy with the outcome, especially coming in under $70 for front and rear.
I went with the 3/4" foam board to clear that clamp and the fit is just right. No sun out here today to test the heat protection, but it has definitely quieted the cab noise and changed the sound of my Focal system for the better by dampening the harsher sounds that I was having to tune down previously.

Sponsored

Riverbill

First Name
Riverbill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota prius
Occupation
Seo
I've seen people use fleece for their headliner. However, I never skimp on adhesive when doing a headliner. I just don't want to have to do the job twice. My adhesive of choice is 3M Super 77 (best headliner adhesive ever for me).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Texan

Texan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen people use fleece for their headliner. However, I never skimp on adhesive when doing a headliner. I just don't want to have to do the job twice. My adhesive of choice is 3M Super 77 best headliner adhesive ever for me.
I haven't had any issues with the headliner vinyl pulling away from the foam board, so the 3M Super 77 has worked fine in that application. Has not worked as well for vinyl to mdf on my sub box unfortunately.
Only issues I am having with the headliners is the adhesive on the back of the velcro strips is not holding in the heat, so I am constantly having to push the headliners back up. I didn't scuff up the fiberglass tops before sticking the velcro to it like I have seen others do before installing retail headliners, so I am hoping that will do the trick to keep these stuck in place.

raypla

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD Stingray
Occupation
Facility Planner
Thanks for the write up
Jeep Gladiator DIY Headliner for Dummies 7CB70CC3-A238-4D78-9311-DBCF2EE5A8B3
Jeep Gladiator DIY Headliner for Dummies 96F7801C-4278-4916-995D-35F647BC214F
Jeep Gladiator DIY Headliner for Dummies 3B074C30-4B25-4B58-8AE3-781058D8895A

Last edited:

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
Just did mine using McMaster-Carr "loop" velcro sheets so I can put all my patches on it.. Bonus, the McMaster loop is unlike any I've ever seen before, very soft and close to what normal fabric would look like, so it just looks like normal headliner. It's not stiff, coarse and plasticky like you might imagine normal velcro loop to be. Also pretty pliable and easy to work with. Grippy enough I'll bet it could even hold a small flashlight or first aid kit, so a cheaper alternative to those Molle headliner panels.

Sponsored

Macstoe

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Willy's, 11 JKU
Occupation
Parts operations
I haven't had any issues with the headliner vinyl pulling away from the foam board, so the 3M Super 77 has worked fine in that application. Has not worked as well for vinyl to mdf on my sub box unfortunately.
Only issues I am having with the headliners is the adhesive on the back of the velcro strips is not holding in the heat, so I am constantly having to push the headliners back up. I didn't scuff up the fiberglass tops before sticking the velcro to it like I have seen others do before installing retail headliners, so I am hoping that will do the trick to keep these stuck in place.
3M makes an adhesive promoter that will help with the adhesive on the Velcro. You may have to scuff like you mentioned, bu a little bit of this really helps. Itā€™s commonly used in collision centers when re applying name plates and moldings.

DT'sJT

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
CRNA
Just did mine using McMaster-Carr "loop" velcro sheets so I can put all my patches on it..
I am interested in doing this. I was thinking about using felt, as I thought maybe some patches would hold well enough on it. I am unfamiliar with McMaster-Carr "loop" velcro sheets, what is it? Where can I find it? Do you mind sharing a photo or two? How has it held up for you over the last few months?

Thank you,
Dustin

Sawburner

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Steel Fabrication
McMaster-Carr is a industrial distributor. They have all kinds of neat things, anybody can order from them. They have web a site, very easy to order from. I have no experience with there Velcro. Mark

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the 3/4" foam board to clear that clamp and the fit is just right. No sun out here today to test the heat protection, but it has definitely quieted the cab noise and changed the sound of my Focal system for the better by dampening the harsher sounds that I was having to tune down previously.
I simply love Focal speakers. My home theater is Focal, and itā€™s amazing. I canā€™t imagine having that sound in my JT. Any waterproofing issues?

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
McMaster-Carr is a industrial distributor. They have all kinds of neat things, anybody can order from them. They have web a site, very easy to order from. I have no experience with there Velcro. Mark
I used 2 sheets of this stuff from McMaster, 55"w x 3' l:

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/94975K82

Held up great over the winter. No issues whatsoever.

Took the hardtop off early March, so it's still hanging in my garage.

Sorry, no pics, and I can't really get any as I'm away with the reserves until probably mid-July. But, it looks like a black cloth headliner covered in military patches. I used self-adhesive 1" velcro strips to attach it to my top (painted the inside of the top black) and while I haven't tried pulling panels down again once they've been on, they hold up pulling patches off and stuff.
Sponsored