Sponsored

DIY Mopar LED Headlight Halo Harness

tkclemmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 1952 Willys M38-A1
It never ceases to amaze me what you all know, so I'm throwing this hail mary out there.

Due to supply shortages I can't get my hands on a MOPAR LED Headlight retrofit kit, so I am attempting the DIY route. I have everything except the harness that runs between the headlights and the BCM that activates the halo function. With the correct parts, this seems like it would be easy to recreate this harness. So the question is does anyone know the wire gauge of the MOPAR harness and what type of pins (molex?) are needed to terminate at the headlight connectors and BCM plug?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored

JP_Oracle

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
It never ceases to amaze me what you all know, so I'm throwing this hail mary out there.

Due to supply shortages I can't get my hands on a MOPAR LED Headlight retrofit kit, so I am attempting the DIY route. I have everything except the harness that runs between the headlights and the BCM that activates the halo function. With the correct parts, this seems like it would be easy to recreate this harness. So the question is does anyone know the wire gauge of the MOPAR harness and what type of pins (molex?) are needed to terminate at the headlight connectors and BCM plug?

Thanks for your help!
Jeep Gladiator DIY Mopar LED Headlight Halo Harness 1635972684374

Looks like you can get the plug repair kit direct from Mopar: https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-wiring-68225123aa

There's no disclaimers about it being out of stock there...Not sure how true that is!

Hope this info helps nonetheless.

OP
OP
tkclemmer

tkclemmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like you can get the plug repair kit direct from Mopar: https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-wiring-68225123aa

There's no disclaimers about it being out of stock there...Not sure how true that is!

Hope this info helps nonetheless.
Very interesting. I wasn't aware these types of kits are available. This is a great resource in general, thanks for the insight.

I've also come to realize that the harness from the MOPAR kit is available as a separate part. 68347117AB Getting my hands on one might be a challenge, but at least there are options.

JP_Oracle

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Very interesting. I wasn't aware these types of kits are available. This is a great resource in general, thanks for the insight.

I've also come to realize that the harness from the MOPAR kit is available as a separate part. 68347117AB Getting my hands on one might be a challenge, but at least there are options.
They just use generic Molex connectors like everyone else, which makes them pretty easy to source as long as you have the Molex PN# - It looks like they use a sub model of the MX-150 for the headlights (2x3). Which makes sense because the tails use an MX-150 also (2x6)

Mfr. Part #: 33472-0606 - If you want to source the plugs and pin them yourself. Looks like Allied and Mouser has them for a couple dollars each.

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/molex-incorporated/33472-0606/70967228/

JP_Oracle

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
It's just dawning on me though, your harnesses should already be wired for the LED headlights, including the halo wire.

What year/trim is your Gladiator? I'm pretty sure all NAFTA JL/JT's are a plug & play replacement - but to get the halo to work, you have to flash the Jeep. Sales code: LPX

Sponsored

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
OP
OP
tkclemmer

tkclemmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's just dawning on me though, your harnesses should already be wired for the LED headlights, including the halo wire.

What year/trim is your Gladiator? I'm pretty sure all NAFTA JL/JT's are a plug & play replacement - but to get the halo to work, you have to flash the Jeep. Sales code: LPX
My Gladiator is a 2020 Sport S. It was my understanding your needed to add a 4th wire to each headlight harness and route them back to the BCM to activate the Halos on the MOPAR LEDs.

I've been bouncing back and forth looking at JL and JT installation writeups under the assumption the headlight wiring was the same. Are the JL's different?

I'm learning a lot here, so thanks for the input.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
My Gladiator is a 2020 Sport S. It was my understanding your needed to add a 4th wire to each headlight harness and route them back to the BCM to activate the Halos on the MOPAR LEDs.

I've been bouncing back and forth looking at JL and JT installation writeups under the assumption the headlight wiring was the same. Are the JL's different?

I'm learning a lot here, so thanks for the input.
Have you checked the driver's side headlight to see if the 4th wire is already present?

OP
OP
tkclemmer

tkclemmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, this is how my 2021 Willys was. Would definitely recommend this harness--I had reached out to him initially to get these made, great quality.
Sounds like I need to pull my headlights and confirm what's there.
Have you checked the driver's side headlight to see if the 4th wire is already present?
Nope, now that a few of you have indicated it may already be there, I'm going to pull it apart after work today and look. I'll be sure to report back.

Sponsored

El Barto

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Mercury Cougar ‘73
Attention: if you have EURO LED Headlights then the pin for the halo is missing on the headlight itself. I noticed this after messing around with the harness...

OP
OP
tkclemmer

tkclemmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I could tell, it looks like I have 3 wires on both sides.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Mopar LED Headlight Halo Harness 91426555-C1AE-4B7C-9182-00B937A2F54E

Passenger side

Jeep Gladiator DIY Mopar LED Headlight Halo Harness 81D30C05-2226-42B1-8EC1-B10C3B268817

Driver side

Looks like at least some 2020s with factory halogens lack the 4th wire.

JP_Oracle

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
From what I could tell, it looks like I have 3 wires on both sides.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Mopar LED Headlight Halo Harness 81D30C05-2226-42B1-8EC1-B10C3B268817

Passenger side

Driver side

Looks like at least some 2020s with factory halogens lack the 4th wire.
Yeah, so the harnesses that @StrainedSky suggested sounds like the easiest bet. Would check the back connector to make sure it has the 4th wire like the EBay listing suggests:

Jeep Gladiator DIY Mopar LED Headlight Halo Harness 1636124178059

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired

I have the Oracle Oculus LED headlights on my 21 Gladiator 80th Anniversary. It did not have factory LED's. However, the harness does have the fourth wire. Also, now I have the Tazer mini. Can I wire the Oracle Oculus Halo's directly to the fourth wire (halo wire) in the factory headlight connection then program halo's operate with Tazer? I would like to do away with the fuse tap. Thanks for the help.