Sponsored

Do I need to worry about my hood latches that don't lock?

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
What is the use case that Jeep stands behind such that my hood isn't locked? I've been looking into purchasing some aftermarket locking hood latches but it seems there isn't a whole lot available. Before you suggest that I haven't Googled it or searched, I have. It would be great to find something that looks nearly OEM without the manufacturer's name or logo on it. Is this even a real concern?
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't care. My truck is garaged 90% of the time and I generally don't go places where people will screw with you.

However, a friend of mine has a hood lock that uses the standard latches, but installs in the center of the hood. All you see is a small cylinder in the top of the grill cutout. Its very discrete. I actually thought it was for a block heater for the first few years he had it.

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
What is the use case that Jeep stands behind such that my hood isn't locked? I've been looking into purchasing some aftermarket locking hood latches but it seems there isn't a whole lot available. Before you suggest that I haven't Googled it or searched, I have. It would be great to find something that looks nearly OEM without the manufacturer's name or logo on it. Is this even a real concern?
The only thing of value, unless you have a tricked out engine bay or you're on someone's Shit List, is the battery.

If you want OEM look you might wanna take a look at BOLT. You keep your OEM latches but install a lock under the hood. The only thing you see is a black cap that covers the keyhole. AND!!! you use the same key in your key fob.

Cburd61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
If you donā€™t have the front trail cam, I highly recommend the Bolt hood lock. It goes in the center of the grill, looks factory, and uses the flip key on the factory fob.

OP
OP
Hawkeyes3312

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You guys were quick, I should have specified that I have the forward facing camera so what I was told/understood is that particular solution won't work for me, is that accurate?

Sponsored

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
If you donā€™t have the front trail cam, I highly recommend the Bolt hood lock. It goes in the center of the grill, looks factory, and uses the flip key on the factory fob.
Yes, but you need to cut out a portion of your JT grill for it to work properly. The JL's have larger openings and don't require the modification. That's why I went with locking hood latches instead.

OP
OP
Hawkeyes3312

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
You didn't look hard enough... but here you go buddy !

I just purchased these for less than $35... they are as OEM as you can get. They are actually IDENTICAL to the oem, with the exception of where the lock hole is and the type of material the metal hood catch is made of or coated with. .... but Nothing is going to stop a determined thief/criminal... but they will keep out the curious and opportunist.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3034687951...ir0w76wTdi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

*(The pictures are not my JT, they are stock photos)
Jeep Gladiator Do I need to worry about my hood latches that don't lock? Screenshot_20220723-104547_eBay
Jeep Gladiator Do I need to worry about my hood latches that don't lock? Screenshot_20220728-111111_eBay
Jeep Gladiator Do I need to worry about my hood latches that don't lock? Screenshot_20220728-111051_eBay

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Thanks, I did find those as well. I know they are smaller than the OEM latches and I don't want the "R" on the latch. I am being picky, I know.
There are others out there that look closer to stock but keep in mind they are plastic and not metal. Worth the extra $$ to me for the added security.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I have the Tazer which has a hood alarm.

Cburd61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
You guys were quick, I should have specified that I have the forward facing camera so what I was told/understood is that particular solution won't work for me, is that accurate?
No, wouldnā€™t work. It sits in the same place as the cam.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Loving this thread just for learning about Bolt locks. I won't be locking the hood, but I think I'm going to pick up a couple of padlocks and key them to the jeep key.

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I did these and am perfectly happy with them - look OEM and are an easy install. Another member on this forum said he had some rusting early on, but that has not been the case for me. Happy with the product and its performance over ~2 years.
Sponsored