Sponsored

Do I want side steps? Rock Rails? Sliders?

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Hey guys.

So I'm new to this whole off-road truck thing. I quickly realized on my Sport S, that I may want some sort of side step as I think my bolsters are going to take some abuse getting out of the truck... I was also thinking when I start getting the truck ready for off-roading, I may not want to get something that hinders off-road ability. I'm thinking anything that extends beyond the frame would be bad, so anything with extending steps would be a no. So what can I get that would provide a place to step for a second to not put so much weight on my seat bolsters getting out, also protect from rocks/etc when off-roading and not hinder the trucks offroad ability at all?
Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys.

So I'm new to this whole off-road truck thing. I quickly realized on my Sport S, that I may want some sort of side step as I think my bolsters are going to take some abuse getting out of the truck... I was also thinking when I start getting the truck ready for off-roading, I may not want to get something that hinders off-road ability. I'm thinking anything that extends beyond the frame would be bad, so anything with extending steps would be a no. So what can I get that would provide a place to step for a second to not put so much weight on my seat bolsters getting out, also protect from rocks/etc when off-roading and not hinder the trucks offroad ability at all?
You will soon learn to use your steering wheel to help get in and unless you lift over 3 inches that is all you use. If you need for passengers I like the mopar wide rock rails, there are also some aftermarket that are wide enough to use as a step without dropping below frame height

OP
OP
surge101

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You will soon learn to use your steering wheel to help get in and unless you lift over 3 inches that is all you use. If you need for passengers I like the mopar wide rock rails, there are also some aftermarket that are wide enough to use as a step without dropping below frame height
It’s not really getting in I’m concerned about, it’s sliding on the seat bolster on the way out. I can’t really lift over it because I’m reaching for the ground.

Linx

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Punk’n JT
Look at something like the Roam rock sliders. The only problem is they are not available yet for the JT. They should be in the next couple of months though.

Dak

First Name
Dak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Look at something like the Roam rock sliders. The only problem is they are not available yet for the JT. They should be in the next couple of months though.
Any official release dates announced yet?

Sponsored

JCJeep1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ 37" MT Long Arm 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2020 StingGrey Gladiator Sport S Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Not so much looking for steps as I would like more protection under the doors - for actual heavier usage - I picked up a set of RockHard4x4 upangle rock rails today - I like the combination - And I think they will give me more comfort than the Mopar Extended performance rails which were my other choice.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you aren't crawling around off-road, then a good set of side steps is the way to go. Better as a step, better paint protection, look better, saves a ton of weight, less expensive, etc. I went Mopar, but there are a lot of brands to pick from.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME

Sponsored

talljeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 J-20 97 TJ 2012 JKU 2020 JT/LE
https://aceengineeringandfab.com/collections/gladiator/products/ace-jt-gladiator-rock-sliders

I’ve had Ace sliders on my JK for 4 years. Checked around for the Gladiator to see if anything new looked better. It didn’t. 20% off this week so I ordered, even though my Gladiator build is still just in queue.
https://aceengineeringandfab.com/collections/gladiator/products/ace-jt-gladiator-rock-sliders
Be very CAREFUL with the bolt removals! The rear bolts are a fricking NIGHTMARE. Go ahead and ask me how I know LOL One side I was able to complete, I snapped off the other side rear bolt and is at the dealership now. The rear attaching bolt is at least 12" inches long. Word of advice, let the dealership install then for you.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
Be very CAREFUL with the bolt removals! The rear bolts are a fricking NIGHTMARE. Go ahead and ask me how I know LOL One side I was able to complete, I snapped off the other side rear bolt and is at the dealership now. The rear attaching bolt is at least 12" inches long. Word of advice, let the dealership install then for you.
Wow, that is a bummer! What kind of tool were you using, impact wrench or breaker bar? I've got to think that's some kind of fluke but really unfortunate. Was it just raw torque, did the head come off or bolt break part way up the shaft?

Any slider that needs to really take the full weight of the Jeep and not bear it on sheet metal of the body will need to mount to the frame, using the body bolts unless it is welded on. JCR, Rockhard4x4, I'm sure there are others... So removing frame bolts is not unique to ACE. On my JK you had to apply downward pressure on the washer to get the threaded portion up in the body to bite so its a little tricky. I'll definitely use some care, and will be interested to know how your dealer sorts your situation out.

OP
OP
surge101

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone locally is selling their overland sidesteps, wondering if I should pick these up. What are the advantages/disadvantages of getting the overland sidesteps vs the rubi or aftermarket rock rails?