Do you consider the Jeep gladiator as a first Gen vehicle

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
a lot of people that look at my gladiator ask me why would you buy a first Gen vehicle. I tell them that the front part of the gladiator from the bed forward is just like the JL that has been around and the only thing different is the bed of the truck with a longer frame. I tell them that Jeep has used the 3.6 engine for a lot of years. What’s your thoughts.
Sponsored

Jeepdude413

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Job.... always got a job...
a lot of people that look at my gladiator ask me why would you buy a first Gen vehicle. I tell them that the front part of the gladiator from the bed forward is just like the JL that has been around and the only thing different is the bed of the truck with a longer frame. I tell them that Jeep has used the 3.6 engine for a lot of years. What’s your thoughts.
To me it’s like a JL had sex with a 1500 and viola.... a JT:like:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
No, I do not look at it as a 1st Gen vehicle. 75% of the engineer was basically vetted in the JL development for the body and powertrain. FCA knows how to build trucks and truck frames so the remaining 25% is not out of their purview of understanding to engineer.

Also, I bet most of those snickering about not buying a 1st Gen anything are just blowhards that cannot afford a Gladiator anyways and want a mental out for not getting one.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I have to agree, all the JL chassis is reasonably well sorted and goes back to the JK in some cases. This new family, the JK, JL and JT are now a dynasty like the CJ5,6,7,8 and this is something that automakers and motor in particular are good at; repetition of know engineering and design. Think ram trucks and K-cars.

The JT has some new tricks but it is mostly a plundering of the ram parts bin and it wouldn’t shock me to see a new Dakota class truck come out of this, a ram cab obviously, but for FCA it would be potent to fight other mid size trucks in the rest of the world.

To be very frank about it, advertising fluff and puff aside, is there anything truly new about any part of the JT? I do t think there is really anything that hasn’t been done where else for at least a model year or more. No exotic drive train, no unique methodologies and certainly no boundary pushing anywhere. And that’s just fine.

Now buying the initial production run might prove to be a hassle but who here hasn’t seen Gung Ho right? The dealer will fix it...

jimcald

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon JT
As the others said, 75% of the vehicle is JL which has been out for a while now and the rear suspension comes from the tried and true Ram 1500 so other than the look it is really made up of parts that have been proven to be solid. At least that is my take on it.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
Well I bought a 2018 JLU which is more a first-gen vehicle than the Gladiator. I have never had any reason to regret it.

Other than some uconnect issues fixed with an update it has been flawless.

And the excitement and buzz around the first year vehicle made it twice as much fun.

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
It's been in the works for 20 years and it's pieced together from other very solid vehicles, so..... No I do not.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
No. A beefier frame and axle casting aren't 1st gen as much as an improvement on a tested design. The suspension is not new, front Jeep, back Ram. There is nothing new in any of the electronics. Nothing new in engine drivetrain. Nothing new in interior or in add on's.

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide
There is nothing “1st Gen” about this Jeep Truck. It’s the culmination of decades of research and development... gleaning the best of the best, tried and true, trail tested, time tested, state of the art, designs... and imagineering them into an iconic dream vehicle. That’s why I went for broke and ordered the LE.
So far, everyone I’ve seen post on the Forum, or YouTube, who has received their LE, is beyond pleased, and rather than bemoaning the inevitable, multiple, 1st Gen failures... instead fawn and rave about the improvements and refinements the JT has over the JLU. So, no... I’m not concerned with my GCMJTLE being “1st Gen”! ;{

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
There's always this: buy a first gen because everyone is paying attention at the same time across the organization. Communication, design, factory, management, unions, resources, advertising, customers, all people with singular focus: JT 2020 in the spot light, baby!

PS they don't really address probs anyway. They patch and workaround and kick the can. The worst thing is when they parachute some new thing into the original. Best is a new package, but that's a partial upgrade, not total like the first gen. Didn't we just read a bunch of electric Jeep's are going mudding without electrocuting everyone by 2022? Think top design teams are working on that now, or sitting around waiting to improve year two of JT?

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
To me it’s like a JL had sex with a 1500 and viola.... a JT:like:
This pretty much sums it up.

The only part on this entire truck that's totally 100% new is the cargo box, and there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong with a cargo box outside of rust and tailgate latch/wiring issues.

I'd say these will be good for 200,000 miles easily.

MadManMoheenid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE & 1958 Chevy Apache
I wouldnt say its first gen but it is more of a new or next generation of other existing platforms.

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
I don't have a problem with it. I have a "1st Gen Tacoma" that has lasted me almost 20 years, and probably still has a lot more years left for the next owner.

Thed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 MX-5 Miata, '01 Rodeo, '96 Ranger, '17 Ducati Supersport
I would consider it a first gen, strictly because it's used under a new nameplate. If they just called it the Wrangler Pickup then no.

It's not like we're going to be going by generations anyway. We're all just going to call it the JT. By the time the next one comes out, we're all going to be calling the new one the whatever-whatever.
Sponsored