Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Anyone else do this?

Small stuff like adjusting the driver’s door striker at delivery.
Saved fuel, time & aggravation.

Yesterday the tailgate lock quit working.
Removed access panels & fished out the plastic lock pivot & reinstalled it fully seating it on the lock tangs.

So far I have not even used any of my free Jeep Wave oil changes.

Who knows how long they would keep it to do gravy jobs that only take a few minutes.
Sponsored

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
The only issue I have had with my Gladiator was a leak behind back seat after a tropical storm. When I found it I thought oh no rear window. While drying the water I found the rear hard top bolts were loose, so I tightened them. If it had been more than that I would have taken it to the dealer.

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw x4, bmw 330xi, jeep Gladiator willys
Occupation
Homemaker
Eh. Depends. Probably will use the oil changes to test out some of the dealer service around. Have a few nearby enough.

Will be checking on their work though. Before leaving. Should be fun.

Would be nice to find a good one if something big comes up under warranty. Out of warranty if I can't handle it I'll take it in to a competent third party that knows jeeps.

Normally though, maintenance items I fully believe should be done by the owner. Its not hard and when you do have to talk with a mechanic you won't feel so clueless.

Little stuff, yeah. Just fix it... my time is worth more than the value a dealership puts on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Raton Pass

Raton Pass

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Had a leaking rear axle seal... You best bet I wasn't going to do that myself. We have a warranty... makes sense to use it?
I have not nor will buy any parts on my dime.
Your issue would find me at the dealer.

OP
OP
Raton Pass

Raton Pass

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
The only issue I have had with my Gladiator was a leak behind back seat after a tropical storm. When I found it I thought oh no rear window. While drying the water I found the rear hard top bolts were loose, so I tightened them. If it had been more than that I would have taken it to the dealer.
Boom, stuff like this is what I am talking about.

OP
OP
Raton Pass

Raton Pass

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Eh. Depends. Probably will use the oil changes to test out some of the dealer service around. Have a few nearby enough.

Will be checking on their work though. Before leaving. Should be fun.

Would be nice to find a good one if something big comes up under warranty. Out of warranty if I can't handle it I'll take it in to a competent third party that knows jeeps.

Normally though, maintenance items I fully believe should be done by the owner. Its not hard and when you do have to talk with a mechanic you won't feel so clueless.

Little stuff, yeah. Just fix it... my time is worth more than the value a dealership puts on it.
IMO dealerships have one or two good mechanics, the rest are just parts replacers.

Retired ASE master tech 20 years ago & I feel like my dad when I bought him out in 1986.

When he looked under the hood...
What is THIS?
What is THAT?

I knew right away to buy an extended bumper to bumper
seeing multiple on board ECUs & pricing them.
And that is with a 20% off MoPar retail on parts.

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw x4, bmw 330xi, jeep Gladiator willys
Occupation
Homemaker
IMO dealerships have one or two good mechanics, the rest are just parts replacers.

Retired ASE master tech 20 years ago & I feel like my dad when I bought him out in 1986.

When he looked under the hood...
What is THIS?
What is THAT?

I knew right away to buy an extended bumper to bumper
seeing multiple on board ECUs & pricing them.
And that is with a 20% off MoPar retail on parts.
Can't argue with that. My thoughts on the oil change is I'm getting their floor sweeper... if they can do a solid job might have a decent spot.

My last mechanic only does euro imports. The guy is on my Christmas card list. Complete expert in his choosen lane. Really miss him already. Easily half the dealer price, 10x the competency.

No replacement for years of experience.

Hope he has a brother that does jeeps.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Dealers around me suck. I'm not taking it there unless it's a very expensive fix. The other week I scheduled a free oil change and I got the confirmation text but when I got there I wasnt on their schedule. They wouldn't honor my appointment. Took it home and showed my kids how to change it.

Sponsored

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
Anyone else do this?

Removed access panels & fished out the plastic lock pivot & reinstalled it fully seating it on the lock tangs.

Who knows how long they would keep it to do gravy jobs that only take a few minutes.
I just did this same thing. My rule of thumb is if could potentially cause a significant headache outside of warranty, then I take it in so it's documented that the issue arose during the warranty period. I learned this when I worked for corporate GM years ago. On the other hand, when my tailgate stopped working, that's a low cost no brainer.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
Anyone else do this?

I'm with you. ANYTHING I can do to avoid the dealer, I will. I haven't used the Jeep Wave oil changes, and won't. The only thing I've been to the dealer for is the TSB on the steering gear box. My steering is worse than it was when I took it in and the steering wheel was 45 degrees off center. I centered it myself, rather than go back.

....anything to avoid the miserable dealer experience.

Deleted member 22728

Once any one of my rigs depart the selling dealer, they never return. However, this is the only way my skillset remains current, outside of the dealership shop setting.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I hate the dealer and avoid if I can for anything. Even purchasing, lol.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I take it in for any little thing that goes wrong. After what I paid, I’m gonna make them fix everything!
I even took the rental when they had the Gladiator for two weeks, even though I have other vehicles.
It’s their responsibility, and I’m making sure they live up to it.

Kevin
Sponsored