Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
FFS....

Had some creaking. I'm aware of the 155inch/lbs +/- 22..... but holy shit no WAY I'm gonna turn those bolts to 155.

I used my FIREARM torque driver....goes to 65 inch/lbs.... 65 seemed like it was about to crack the top. I hit that click then used the Jeep wrench to turn another 1/8th turn. No WAY I'm going tighter no way I'm going to turn my torque WRENCH that can do 13lbs ( 155ish inch/lbs ) on these bolts.

Took it out...didn't creak.
Sponsored

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I personally don’t. I usually set my drill to either 10-11 and it snugs down without over tightening or wind noise from being too loose.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I snug the bolts to partially compress the foam seals, or in the case of the front bolts, until they are fairly tight without danger of cracking the plastic.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
13ftlbs is basically nothing, and the general concensus I've gotten around here is less is better than more. So I just hand tighten them all as much as possible, then do a light snugging on each.

Fishee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys NACHO
During summer I will set drill to 13 cause I take it off/on so often. When I put it on for the last time in fall I will use the baby jeep wrench and crank each bolt a bit so it doesn't squeak. I don't crank the hell out of it and can't imagine getting too much torque with that little fisher price wrench lol

Sponsored

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
I did once, zipped all the bolts down with my air wrench and then went back and torqued with an in/lb click torque wrench. Each bolt was about 1/4 turn away from "proper" torque. Figured my air wrench was close enough and haven't had any problems just doing that since.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I just tighten it until I feel a bit of resistance. I don't torque it down. Just until it starts to compress a little. I use hand tools. When it starts to rattle, I tighten it some more. If it creaks, I add some silicone to the seals.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I do - or did, then I learned just how "hard to pull" on the wrench to get there. It's like a lot of things I do over and over - I get so used to the feel I only need a torque wrench for the first few times.
That's changing as I get older - but years ago, I could challenge people to check the torque on the head bolts and manifold bolts of engines I built. These days arthritis has changed the calibration of my arms and hands. If it hurts, it's tight enough.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I’ve taken the top off precisely once, and that was only to install the headliners. As I recall I was nervous when tightening it back up because I didn’t want to crack it but I also didn’t want it loose. Snugged it up to what felt right. Apparently it worked out well because that was last year and I’ve never had a single issue since.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve taken the top off precisely once, and that was only to install the headliners. As I recall I was nervous when tightening it back up because I didn’t want to crack it but I also didn’t want it loose. Snugged it up to what felt right. Apparently it worked out well because that was last year and I’ve never had a single issue since.
You shouldn't. Just don't tighten it until it's TIGHT, don't try to totally compress the seals, but don't baby it, either. That rim is tough, it will handle things fine. I mean - when mine is off it's hanging by the rear lip and the front corners from my ceiling. It doesn't flex or give at all coming off or going on.
I do try to follow the specs so if I ever get into a situation with a leak, they can't blame me..........
I'm a "detail person" and in my quest to avoid blame or trouble or while I seek perfection in things, I do try to follow specs. That's me - and it's gotten me a long ways over the years. Maybe I should try doing crappy work - I'd be less busy HAHA

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I use my baby Bosch impact

Jeep Gladiator Do you guys torque your hardtop down?? 1670274356309

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
i use my cordless impact until it clicks 2 times. I go slow. the hand tighten with the supplied ratchet. The impact is just for speed because hand cranking them is a pain in the arse. Never had an issue. no creeks or whistles.
Sponsored