Sponsored

Do you really want a first year production?...

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
So as the title says, are you really ready to be a "beta tester" for Jeep?
I really like the look of the JT, BUT, I have been down the "first year production" road
before. Even if there are no serious issues mechanically, structurally, electrical, etc.,
the pricing is usually not discounted, then there is the usual differences that follow in the second year. Colors, option choices, some features become standard that were optional.
I am Sooo tempted to order one when available this year, but a little voice in my head says
wait a year.
BUT, my wife is the service manager at the local Jeep dealership, so if it turns out
to have a lot of issues, she knows of them first, and she can take it to work and get it fixed
ASAP.
Sponsored

reedred

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geraldine
You know what's usually even more ironed out that year 2? Year 3. But at that point why not wait for a possible refresh in year 4? Of course maybe those changes need some real world time before they're perfect. Best to wait until year 8, but then why not wait for the all new generation 2? Eventually you're dead and you never bought anything.

Between warranties and lemon laws, there's no real reason to worry about buying the first model year of anything anymore. Especially for you, since even if the thing is an absolute turd it will take exactly zero additional effort to get it in for service.

DenverGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ stock, manual, over-sized tires, soft top, half doors
I have never bought a first year production, and likely never would. However, I plan on buying a JT as soon as ordering opens for the same reason Matstock4 mentioned, I think the JL worked a lot of the bugs out. I expect some issues along the way, I'm just hoping it's not when I am above treeline on a trail.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I bought my 97 first year because it was first year and great. Worked out perfectly.

Most of these issues are with tech. Unless they mess with the computer to increase responsiveness, it is a basic known component vehicle. Except that ESS thing, which I intend to immediately deal with.

So if I go stock rock sport I'm not worried. Mechanically this thing should be sound. Welds maybe pop, okay so weld back in place.

Now, if I go Rubi and tech options, heck no I ain't buying first gen. Lol. My opinion

Sponsored

Lanyard

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
It's a Chrysler family product, how do you tell something isn't working from the general issues caused by poor fit and finish aka "It's a Jeep thing." SEE: JL Steering issue responses.... "There's nothing wrong, it's just a Jeep thing...."

Bought a 4 year old TJ.... For some reason I dropped the coin on the extended warranty... I earned that back about 4x. Loved the TJ though! It spoiled me in the dualtop option. I'll be running but didn't and hard tops. It's a MN thing.

landersen

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Unlimited Sahara
I will say this. My wife was looking for a replacement for her Nissan Rogue and she wanted the brand new shiny Jeep Cherokee. Ugly headlights aside, and against my wishes, she bought the first year model and that thing is the biggest POS ever built. I can't even begin to describe the amount of headache that hunk of junk has wrought. Seemed as though we were getting recall notices every other week. Can't wait to get rid of it, and I can guarantee it will be gone this year.

Now... Will I buy the first year model of the Gladiator? Of course I will. As soon as the Sting-Grey model is released, I'll be the first in line.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
i wont have to worry about that its not going to happen here for a while still cant buy a JL till next month

cgoodwin0990

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Jeep YJ
Occupation
Adventure Education Programs Director
I'll probably buy a first year production!

In year 2 when someone gets tired of their first year model and sells it used at a price more in my own price range... :/

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
My Grandfather's rule was to never buy a brand newly developed vehicle but to wait three to four years so that they get all the problems solved.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trickster

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
My Grandfather's rule was to never buy a brand newly developed vehicle but to wait three to four years so that they get all the problems solved.
I don't think I can wait 3 or 4 years!
I have been without a truck for 3 months now and starting to regret that.
Another problem, is convincing my wife to sell her JK so we can buy the JT.
She really loves the little Jeep, it's 8 yrs old, now has 30,000 miles on it and is near mint.
Really not sure if the WK2 is going to be up to the task of towing our trailer that's 4400lbs dry,
with the 3.6. I know it's the same engine in the JT, but it's a truck and rated higher for towing.
Sport S loaded up and Sting Grey is my thoughts currently.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Jeep has been building this truck from the rear window forward for a very long time. Ok ok they have not been building the bed for a very long time. I think I will take my chances on these new beds. They have already sold 80 of them without problems as far as I know.

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I normally avoid first model year vehicles like the plague.

Having said that, the JL was too enticing and I got one of the very early builds. 2-1-18. They'd only been making JLs for about 8 weeks when mine was built I think.

So far:

- ESS quit working, had to be "re-learned" through scan-tool and road driving procedure
- Airbag recall required a software flash, which also corrected the steering calibrations I was having trouble with

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
I don't think I can wait 3 or 4 years!
I have been without a truck for 3 months now and starting to regret that.
Another problem, is convincing my wife to sell her JK so we can buy the JT.
She really loves the little Jeep, it's 8 yrs old, now has 30,000 miles on it and is near mint.
Really not sure if the WK2 is going to be up to the task of towing our trailer that's 4400lbs dry,
with the 3.6. I know it's the same engine in the JT, but it's a truck and rated higher for towing.
Sport S loaded up and Sting Grey is my thoughts currently.
What trim do you have on the GC? The WK2 can tow if equipped properly. My avatar shows my '14 EcoDiesel Limited with my old toy hauler (just sold it) that was ~5000 lb empty. I've towed it higher than the 7200 lb rating with no issues. Just yesterday I had to use the GC to pull my tractor out of a mud, uphill in the dirt, after it got buried to the axles...no issues. I was surprised that they now show the current WK2 Limited at 7200 lb towing with the V6. When I bought mine I think the V6 was closer to 6000 lb.

MORAR

First Name
Flav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 LX470 & 2017 4Runner TRD OR
Vehicle Showcase
You know what's usually even more ironed out that year 2? Year 3. But at that point why not wait for a possible refresh in year 4? Of course maybe those changes need some real world time before they're perfect. Best to wait until year 8, but then why not wait for the all new generation 2? Eventually you're dead and you never bought anything.

Between warranties and lemon laws, there's no real reason to worry about buying the first model year of anything anymore. Especially for you, since even if the thing is an absolute turd it will take exactly zero additional effort to get it in for service.

This guy has the best point.

You can always wait around for the latest and greatest and never enjoy whats here and now.

Also, your wife is a freaking Jeep Service manager...... I have so little pity for your concerns , I actually have negative pity. Of all the average "joes" on here. You have a connection to get your Jeep serviced and covered for anything. Even with aftermarket mods.
Sponsored