Sponsored

Do you think the JT will have better road manners then the JL?

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Like the title says, do you think the road manners of the JT will be better then the JL?

As some of you know I'm looking for an Overlander and my current JKU I'm not a huge fan of using as an Overlander due to the loose steering and how much work is required to "drive" it on long road trips.

Now with that said the JT is going to be using Ram style rear suspension, have a longer track (extended frame), plus the benefits the JL has over the JK which "should" make it better then my current JKU.

I just worry about buying something for $50K and being over driving it again, even though I love everything else about it.
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Doubtful. The front end will be identical to the JL, the rear will have the pickup truck bounce due to load springs. The JT will really be a Jeep truck, simple as that. Honestly, the only thing I hated about road tripping in my TJ was cabin noise.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Thats depressing.

I really really have a hard time shelling out $50K on something that I will want to get rid of every time I take a long road trip.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it'll drive every bit as good as any other (inferior) Overland vehicle out there. The bar isn't set that high for these vehicles. Though when you're out in the pucker brush a JT overland should/could outclass them all. (especially if you hold out for the Ecodiesel).

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea thats the problem is that a lot of other Overland options are lacking.

Here is what I want:

1) Something Diesel - Due to longer range, and better resale value when combined with higher milage (I now keep my cars at least 5 years), and solid load capacity.
2) Something that on long road trips I still feel refreshed on. A lot of my trips span 3-13 hours and then when I get to the destination I want to hike, backpack, ski tour, snowmobile, etc. I don't want to be wore out from the drive.
3) Is good off-road (but I don't need to crawl rocks), but go off trail a lot, also encounter weather conditions of all types.

With that said my current options are:

-Wait for the JT Diesel
-Pick up a New 2500 Cummins Diesel and AEV equip it
-Pick up a New 1500 EcoDiesel in fall and AEV equip it
-Buy a new/used Ford Raptor (lacks the diesel, but still has solid resale due to being a limited vehicle)

This is my daily debate as I go between all these.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Ram is still too big for a DD. I'm still stuck on the idea of a JTR diesel.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
The Ram is still too big for a DD. I'm still stuck on the idea of a JTR diesel.
I can deal with a 1/2 ton as a daily. I could probably even deal with a 3/4 ton, but I don't really want to. The JT is perfect size IMO and I like the fact it doesn't look as small as the Colorado or Tacoma (to me its looks slightly larger, probably due to the way the fenders are and how easy it is to get 35/37s on it).

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
It will definitely has better manners and be less tiring than your JK, but I think the empty pickup bed will counteract the advantages of the longer wheelbase. Of course if you land it up with 1000lbs of overloading gear and get the suspension dialed in right, it may surprise you.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I configured a loaded Laramie Longhorn with the e-torque ...... came to $67k and some change......ugh but it was purty....
Ecoschnitzel? Or Hemi?

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I configured a loaded Laramie Longhorn with the e-torque ...... came to $67k and some change......ugh but it was purty....
I did a Laramie, with 4wd, Hemi e-torque, 12" screen, and a bunch of other stuff for mid $50s. Next year by this time they will be $10K off MSRP so could pick it up mid $40s which wouldn't be bad at all. Add in another $10K in mods and your at the price of a diesel rubicon JT
Sponsored