Sponsored

Does anyone feel the need for an Aux. Fuel Tank (Towing)?

Gitfo

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (Gator) Max Tow
With the expected MPG of travel trailer towing around 11 - 13MPG, has anyone felt the need to add an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed?
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
No, if I was expecting to do a lot of travel trailer towing or other long distance towing and range was a primary consideration, I would have bought another vehicle platform.

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
With the expected MPG of travel trailer towing around 11 - 13MPG, has anyone felt the need to add an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed?
I agree with HOOTBRO. Some short trips towing light loads is fine. Anything more I’ll use my F450.

OP
OP
Gitfo

Gitfo

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, if I was expecting to do a lot of travel trailer towing or other long distance towing and range was a primary consideration, I would have bought another vehicle platform.
Like what (off the top of your head)?

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I already have a F450, but I see you have a Ram 2500. That should be a better towing platform for towing those big jobs! Good Luck

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gitfo

Gitfo

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with HOOTBRO. Some short trips towing light loads is fine. Anything more I’ll use my F450.
For what I'm doing (just under 4klbs.), even the 350 would be too much. I'm guessing the mileage for the 250 is in the same neighborhood as the JT w/ Max Tow - I guess I could look it up...

OP
OP
Gitfo

Gitfo

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I already have a F450, but I see you have a Ram 2500. That should be a better towing platform for towing those big jobs! Good Luck
I need to update my signature - both the Nissan and the RAM are sold. That ram, while a little long with the 8' bed, would have been oblivious to the 22' Airstream.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
The JT isn't a highway cruiser, so you may want to stop to stretch your legs anyway!

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
My F150 has a 36 gallon tank, but the extra fuel does not make much of a difference since I have to stop every 2-3 hours to get rid of some coffee. Good chance to check your cargo load too.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Anything in a half ton or higher full size truck if I am doing any long distance traveling over half a day or more. You mentioned a 4K pound trailer and while the Gladiator has the specs for it, I just like the margins and creature comfort a full size truck has with those larger trailering loads.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The JT isn't a highway cruiser, so you may want to stop to stretch your legs anyway!
Sorry, I would disagree with that. It's one of the most comfortable trucks I've driven on the highway. I just made a 2 hour and 40 minute trip to Omaha - and back again. I got out once to check the load (and pee) but otherwise wasn't really ready to get out any time soon. I could have gone farther without the need to disembark. It's comfy.
In fact I can sit in it and drive it longer than I could my silverado. Jeep done good on that part.

Gas mileage towing - that's another issue. But then.... it's a tiny engine pulling a whole lot of stuff and it's shoving a big BRICK through the air.
I enjoy driving mine so much I'm now no longer sure if I'm actually going to keep my WJ.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My F150 has a 36 gallon tank, but the extra fuel does not make much of a difference since I have to stop every 2-3 hours to get rid of some coffee. Good chance to check your cargo load too.
LOL - that's my issue - I'm usually looking for a facility with a, well, a facility, before anything else.
I am disappointed in the fuel capacity and MPG hauling an EMPTY trailer, but comfort, no troubles.

The large screen and built-in NAV does show "facilities" so no worries there.

3-pedal-Rub

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Night Train, Buell Lightning, TL, 4runner, JTR
There are outfits that build aftermarket larger tanks for pickups. I'm sure the gladiator will get on that list sooner or later.

As for comfort... That's a matter of opinion. Clearly "Shadowspapa" hasn't owned an IFS GM product.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There are outfits that build aftermarket larger tanks for pickups. I'm sure the gladiator will get on that list sooner or later.

As for comfort... That's a matter of opinion. Clearly "Shadowspapa" hasn't owned an IFS GM product.
Really? What's a Silverado??
The ride was good, the seats not so much. It rode fine, but there was no place to put your right foot when using cruise, the tunnel intruded as much as the JT, but with the JT I can slip my foot between gas and brake. Couldn't do that with the Chevy.

So what's this - a solid axle Ford LOL
We've also owned many Grand Cherokees, have two of them now. I've driven hundreds of cars and trucks as a mechanic for decades, too.
The JT sits fine. It actually exceeded my expectations being what it is.

lf.jpg
Sponsored