Sponsored

Does anyone know how to get the stench of rotten whalemeat out of a Gladiator?

chaosjake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR (Dolly/Ahab), 2017 WRX (Hilda)
My wife and I are having a lovely beach weekend for our anniversary. She's been indulging my desire to do Jeep stuff, so we have been using our sand permit.
Jeep Gladiator Does anyone know how to get the stench of rotten whalemeat out of a Gladiator? PXL_20220507_211625023-01

Yesterday, we drove down to the historic lighthouse...
Jeep Gladiator Does anyone know how to get the stench of rotten whalemeat out of a Gladiator? IMG_1475-02

And we cruised on the beach (in the sections that aren't closed off for nesting shore birds).
Jeep Gladiator Does anyone know how to get the stench of rotten whalemeat out of a Gladiator? PXL_20220507_202603051-01

But then, right when we came over a big dune and started dropping down to the last section of beach we hadn't explored,
Jeep Gladiator Does anyone know how to get the stench of rotten whalemeat out of a Gladiator? PXL_20220507_203842289-01

I looked off to my left, and what did I see?
Jeep Gladiator Does anyone know how to get the stench of rotten whalemeat out of a Gladiator? IMG_1484-01

There was a dead whale washed up on the beach below. And this is where I made a terrible mistake. Of course, my wife and I wanted to get a picture of it. So of course we drove as close to it as we could. And of course we rolled down the passenger window to take some pictures.

Thirty feet away and directly downwind from 40 tons of rotten whalemeat.
Jeep Gladiator Does anyone know how to get the stench of rotten whalemeat out of a Gladiator? IMG_1533-01

We didn't get, like, chunks of meat in the truck, or even visible drops of seawater, but I guess that rotten whale oil was in the salt spray, because driving back into town, it smelled so bad I could taste it. We have a two hour drive home today, and despite the 45 degree weather, I might insist we keep the windows down.

I'm worried that this (powerful) stank is going to linger. Any cleaning tips?

Update: After a week, I think the problem is fixed!
Sponsored

Last edited:

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
I don’t have any tips other than what you can Google, but I enjoyed the photos. Where is this? I saw a “RobMotive” YouTube video where he shoved an air freshener on top of the cabin air filter, which is behind the glove box.

OP
OP
chaosjake

chaosjake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR (Dolly/Ahab), 2017 WRX (Hilda)
I don’t have any tips other than what you can Google, but I enjoyed the photos. Where is this? I saw a “RobMotive” YouTube video where he shoved an air freshener on top of the cabin air filter, which is behind the glove box.
This is at Race Point in Provincetown, Mass .

And good idea... I can at least change the cabin air filter.

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
The cabin air filter perhaps should be replaced right away, spray cleaner in the air ducts, and check the filter for smell afterwards, clean everything you can.

KoBear

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Gobi JTR
When I occasionally smoke cigars in my car, I use this stuff.

leave the car running with the heat blasting on recirculate for like 10 mins after spraying this in the car. Seems to work well.

Jeep Gladiator Does anyone know how to get the stench of rotten whalemeat out of a Gladiator? 08F2ABF3-F9DC-4A19-8ACE-8A34F2A9F91C

YOU CANNOT BE IN THE CAR WHEN ITS DOING ITS THING!!!

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
If actual whale oil got on the Gladiator and inside it, then, you have to wipe it all down with something that dissolves oil, like Dawn or something.

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Sell it to some walruses or polar bears or something?

Ugh, that has to be so awful. Hope you figure out a solution!

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
If that salt spray with little pieces of meat and oil got into the carpet and seats I don't think anything you can buy will get rid of it completely. I'd check with some local professional detailers and see if they can help.
Sponsored