Sponsored

Does changing tires and rims (same size) effect towing ?

BARTAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sports S Max Tow

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Some will claim that changing the wheels and tires changes towing capacity, but the reality is they don’t technically change the specs and what is on your door jam.

Jumping to 37s might change performance, but I haven’t seen some magical calculation of how changing the tires and wheels will decrease max tow capacity or payload.

An example would be a stock overland w smaller tires vs rubicon. With certain specs the rubicon can tow higher than the overland 7000 vs 6000, but the rubicon has considerably larger tires.

I’ve seen many lifted sport gladiators at the dealerships with 35s new, and the tow specs aren’t listed any differently than with the wimpy 31s.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Biggest impact on towing is going to be the reduction in payload because larger wheel/tire package is going to be heaver than the factory setup. Things like larger diameter impacting performance can be overcome by re-gearing. You will always be bound by your GVWR/GCWR listed.

OP
OP

BARTAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sports S Max Tow
Thanks for the all responses !!
I am going exact same dimensions both rims and wheels, IT might add some weight in wheels but I am guessing they will be similar to sport s wheels

Sponsored

LANGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator Rubicon
No, those are factory Rubicon wheels. You will be fine.
Tires do have weight limits too. Make sure the new tires are rated for the total GVW of the jeep and trailer attached.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Thanks for the all responses !!
I am going exact same dimensions both rims and wheels, IT might add some weight in wheels but I am guessing they will be similar to sport s wheels
Although the C rated tires from the factory should cover you all the way up through the listed payload capacity if you can, move to an E rated tire then you should never have to worry about them being overweight.
Sponsored