Sponsored

Does putting new rims and tires with no lift and 33 inch tires void any part of my warranty?

Theh8er

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hi all, it's my first jeep and I put on some new shoes (Rockstar 2's) and 33 inch tires. No lift though. This does not void the manufacturer warranty in any way correct? Also would changing the headlights to non mopar LED's void any part of the warranty? Lastly (LOL) would me swapping my Gladiator headlights to the mopar LED's myself void the warranty?

Thanks in advance for your response!
Sponsored

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave | 2021 Grand Cherokee L
I can only comment on the tires:

If you got bigger tires and do not recalibrate your speed, it can.

Claimed the mileage would be off and not accurate representation etc...

I'm sure there are much more detailed responses - just what I found out yesterday.

OP
OP
Theh8er

Theh8er

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Thanks appreciate the response. They were recalibrated.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Could they yes anything you do out of dealer specs could get you denied. Would they deny it I doubt it

Sponsored

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
if your dealership EVER tries to say that a modification voids the warranty on anything beyond the parts you actually touch, then find a different dealership (or an indie shop that does warranty work). Don’t accept ”Well, you went offroad, so this won’t be covered anymore“ either. FCA pays them for work done under warranty, so unless they have issues, they have little reason to NOT claim the repair under warranty. I assume that type or dealer is either doubling up payment by sending a warranty claim and charging you cash, OR they think they can scam you into paying more than they’ll get from FCA

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
To many people throw this out when these questions come up. Long story short they can deny it then you have to lawyer up to fight it. the law is on your side but they can make it rough for you in the end

To many people make this argument. This is old law with many cases upholding it. Long story short no one is making customers layer up for warranty work as the OP posted. They would have to be complete morons and have counsel that are also morons.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I was told by the dealer - only the part you change would no longer be under warranty.
If I changed the differentials out - those would not be covered but tires, wheels, transmission, etc. would be covered.
If I changed headlights and then had trouble with lighting that was traced to the headlights - then you may SOL. But if you have tails lights that quit due to a connector or other fault, you are still covered.
I was told by the dealer's own ACCESSORIES person that the parts I swap would not be, but the rest would be unless the part caused the trouble with something else - but then they suggested that would be unlikely.
If I put NEW MOPAR differentials under the truck, then those would be covered by their own warranty, not my truck's warranty (truck drivetrain 3 years, different differentials may have 2 year as example)

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I was told by the dealer - only the part you change would no longer be under warranty.
If I changed the differentials out - those would not be covered but tires, wheels, transmission, etc. would be covered.
If I changed headlights and then had trouble with lighting that was traced to the headlights - then you may SOL. But if you have tails lights that quit due to a connector or other fault, you are still covered.
I was told by the dealer's own ACCESSORIES person that the parts I swap would not be, but the rest would be unless the part caused the trouble with something else - but then they suggested that would be unlikely.
If I put NEW MOPAR differentials under the truck, then those would be covered by their own warranty, not my truck's warranty (truck drivetrain 3 years, different differentials may have 2 year as example)
Your dealer is correct with the letter of the law.

Sponsored

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
It’s even more confusing if you replace parts with stock jeep parts from another vehicle.

for example, if you put Rubicon shocks on a Sport and a shock leaks. The shocks are eligible to be replaced right? But when they pull the VIN, it won’t be the Rubi shocks.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
It’s even more confusing if you replace parts with stock jeep parts from another vehicle.

for example, if you put Rubicon shocks on a Sport and a shock leaks. The shocks are eligible to be replaced right? But when they pull the VIN, it won’t be the Rubi shocks.
I have not sat down and read the warranty but one would think it only covers original parts to the vin. This is much different than not covering a radio issue because you added an aftermarket exhaust.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Ordinary use won't generally give shocks a problem anyway so I don't worry about those, and if I still had my original Overland shocks on and one went bad, I'd not go to the dealer for a replacement under warranty and get another OEM shock, I'd upgrade like I've always done.
Springs are another matter - but then, if I had bought springs to put under my Overland (like I have done) I'd not even think about trying to get warranty on those because geesh, I PAID for those and took it on myself to "self-warrant" them on the very act of buying and installing something other than original factory parts.
I would never even think of asking a dealer to replace my springs or shocks under warranty - I swapped those, it's on ME. If I have the money and time to do that, I had better have the money and time to cover my own changes repair-wise.
No way I'd ever ask a dealer to do anything with parts I had swapped out. IMO, I negate any warranty on parts that I am swapping out.
Now if I had the dealer do the swap, there'd be a warranty on their work, and if I had bought the parts from or through them, I'd expect coverage. But I would never go back to a dealer or some other entity to cover parts I bought outside the channels and installed myself.
The problem with take-off parts like shocks and springs, you can't show with any proof how old they are or the number of miles on them. PROVE that the springs now under my Overland have less than 36,000 miles on them. My truck has 10,000 - but how could I possibly PROVE where I got them and how many miles they had on them when I bought them? Anyone could have told me anything.

I guess I'm not the sort to expect someone else to cover changes I have chosen to make. I may ask for help at times if something comes up - but I always tell them up front I am figuring on paying. (can't recall the last time that ever happened, though)

Prove where the mileage on them - why would anyone ask parts they have personally changed out to be covered? When I changed springs I knew that if one broke or something happened, it would be on me.
I would bet they are only covered on the original vehicle anyway, but I'd never even ask a dealer to cover the shocks on my Rubicon.
I might tell them what happened, what I did, and get their opinion, but I'd never go in and not tell them they weren't original to my truck. To me, it's a lie of omission. I can't do that.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
No. And that’s protected by federal law.

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Ordinary use won't generally give shocks a problem anyway so I don't worry about those, and if I still had my original Overland shocks on and one went bad, I'd not go to the dealer for a replacement under warranty and get another OEM shock, I'd upgrade like I've always done.
Springs are another matter - but then, if I had bought springs to put under my Overland (like I have done) I'd not even think about trying to get warranty on those because geesh, I PAID for those and took it on myself to "self-warrant" them on the very act of buying and installing something other than original factory parts.
I would never even think of asking a dealer to replace my springs or shocks under warranty - I swapped those, it's on ME. If I have the money and time to do that, I had better have the money and time to cover my own changes repair-wise.
No way I'd ever ask a dealer to do anything with parts I had swapped out. IMO, I negate any warranty on parts that I am swapping out.
Now if I had the dealer do the swap, there'd be a warranty on their work, and if I had bought the parts from or through them, I'd expect coverage. But I would never go back to a dealer or some other entity to cover parts I bought outside the channels and installed myself.
The problem with take-off parts like shocks and springs, you can't show with any proof how old they are or the number of miles on them. PROVE that the springs now under my Overland have less than 36,000 miles on them. My truck has 10,000 - but how could I possibly PROVE where I got them and how many miles they had on them when I bought them? Anyone could have told me anything.

I guess I'm not the sort to expect someone else to cover changes I have chosen to make. I may ask for help at times if something comes up - but I always tell them up front I am figuring on paying. (can't recall the last time that ever happened, though)

Prove where the mileage on them - why would anyone ask parts they have personally changed out to be covered? When I changed springs I knew that if one broke or something happened, it would be on me.
I would bet they are only covered on the original vehicle anyway, but I'd never even ask a dealer to cover the shocks on my Rubicon.
I might tell them what happened, what I did, and get their opinion, but I'd never go in and not tell them they weren't original to my truck. To me, it's a lie of omission. I can't do that.
peolle

People try to get stuff covered all the time like this. For example...I sell my JT. The shocks state “jeep” on them. The next owner experiences an issue and takes the truck in not knowing that the shocks were not OE.

OR someone buys FCA LED headlights and upgrades....things like that.
Sponsored