Sponsored

Does the upgraded Alpine system include a subwoofer?

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
Tried searching the threads for pics or info regarding a possible subwoofer? I ordered the Alpine upgraded system...has anyone seen/heard it?

Edit: found my answer! Although any pics of the subwoofer would be cool!
Sponsored

Last edited:

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Go to Jeep.com and use the build and price tool.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I ended up calling back next business day and added the Alpine system to my order. Yes it's expensive as he**. But from what all the guys on the JL forum say, it's well worth the money because it sounds amazing and it's so hard to upgrade the audio on today's touchscreen systems powered by CAN-BUS architecture. Even Crutchfield says "we don't recommend removing your factory radio unit". So that was a red flag for me that it's time to add the Alpine system and have no regrets later!

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
Some great info related to the setup of the Alpine system. This directly applies to the JK version but I think shows how focused the approach was to address the unique nature of Wranglers and good audio.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interesting video. ^^^ Thanks.

Who is he, and who are those guys in the room that he's addressing?

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
Interesting video. ^^^ Thanks.

Who is he, and who are those guys in the room that he's addressing?
The presenter is somehow associated with the engineering team that created the JK’s Alpine system. The rest of the room is a group of audiophiles and other audio engineers. The speaker system in the room where the presentation occurs is very much high-end stuff.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Alpine engineer, Jim Walter ---- looks like he is talking to the rest of the loony bin residents

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
B6D71415-FDD8-42A1-B92C-10903F60ACF5.jpeg
In case anyone is interested this is what a Gladiator looks like without that rear bass speaker in the middle. I did a screen shot of this from a video in the thread: location of speakers.

It’s not the best picture but this was the first time I had ever seen a Gladiator without that bass speaker. And I frankly think it may be a waste of money to pay to get it. Some months ago I sat in a normal Wrangler that did not have a bass speaker in it and it sounded just fine to me. But hey that’s just my personal opinion. I can only suggest that you do the same thing with a Gladiator and hear what they sound like with and without the bass speaker before you decide that it’s a must have item. And yes I know to wish you all good luck finding one without this bass speaker. It’s a rare bird you’re looking to find. Maybe there is a way to silence the bass speaker in a normal Gladiator. Got no clue but wonder if it’s possible.

And don’t forget you get a tad more behind the back seats storage when you don’t get that bass speaker.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I ended up calling back next business day and added the Alpine system to my order. Yes it's expensive as he**. But from what all the guys on the JL forum say, it's well worth the money because it sounds amazing and it's so hard to upgrade the audio on today's touchscreen systems powered by CAN-BUS architecture. Even Crutchfield says "we don't recommend removing your factory radio unit". So that was a red flag for me that it's time to add the Alpine system and have no regrets later!
It appears that you get the Alpine upgrade included if you get the 8.4" display... vs the cost of Alpine by itself, it definitely makes sense to just get the 8.4" for it's extra functionality and enjoy the Alpine for making that choice.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It appears that you get the Alpine upgrade included if you get the 8.4" display... vs the cost of Alpine by itself, it definitely makes sense to just get the 8.4" for it's extra functionality and enjoy the Alpine for making that choice.
Unfortunately, the 8.4" is not available with the Sport model.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Unfortunately, the 8.4" is not available with the Sport model.
Aw beans, you caught me in the one exception to f*ck it all up.

Gregbj33

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2017 Wrangler
Occupation
Store Manager Weis Markets
I have a JK with Alpine system that has the sub in the floor. It sounds amazing for a factory system, just the right amount of thump. I test drove a gladiator yesterday with the 8.4 nav and alpine system. Salesmen threw the key fob and said here you go, take as long as you want just come back. As I got in he said, cover your ears before you start it the guys were kranking the volume earlier. He was right, it was loud! But sounded just as good if not better than mine. So when I ordered my sport last night, I made sure to add technology group and alpine speakers! Well worth it!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well after adding the $1,300 Alpine option to my order and having the truck for a week now, I can say that my opinion has changed. IF I could do it over again I'd skip the option.

Yes, the Alpine system has a little more thump. But at volumes above 14 on the touchscreen it starts to rattle and sound ghetto. And the remainder of the system sounds no different than the standard system. I came directly from a JLU with the standard system into the JT with the Alpine system and I remember thinking, "This is it? This is all that $1,300 adds?" I'm pretty disappointed.

In my college days 15-20 years ago I added $400 worth of equipment to my trucks that sounded way better than this Alpine system. I'm not mad about it though. I'll crank this system up and enjoy it. I just wouldn't order it again next time around.

Gregbj33

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2017 Wrangler
Occupation
Store Manager Weis Markets
Well after adding the $1,300 Alpine option to my order and having the truck for a week now, I can say that my opinion has changed. IF I could do it over again I'd skip the option.

Yes, the Alpine system has a little more thump. But at volumes above 14 on the touchscreen it starts to rattle and sound ghetto. And the remainder of the system sounds no different than the standard system. I came directly from a JLU with the standard system into the JT with the Alpine system and I remember thinking, "This is it? This is all that $1,300 adds?" I'm pretty disappointed.

In my college days 15-20 years ago I added $400 worth of equipment to my trucks that sounded way better than this Alpine system. I'm not mad about it though. I'll crank this system up and enjoy it. I just wouldn't order it again next time around.
Im guessing the standard JL system is much better than the standard JK. My GF has the standard system and it is terrible. Low volume and very muffled sound.
Sponsored