John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
from an earlier post I mentioned I lost my co-pilot Beau. Today, insert Maggie. She is a Lab mix with high anxiety when traveling. So bad she whine’s, drools and howls when in the truck or whenever I leave her, even to pump gas. I travel a lot and try to take her with me but the chaos in the cab is distracting. I’ve tried CBD oil with minimal results, thundershirt, Kong and Benadryl to no avail. Any suggestions would really help and be greatly appreciated for my furry co-pilot.
Jeep Gladiator Dog co-pilot help. 222C57B4-586B-4299-A627-4D1C6FD0DB78
Sponsored

Ball_Ze

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR, 17 AR4C, 19 CT6-V
Occupation
engineer
My best suggestion is talk to your veterinarian - I have a dog that is very similar during thunderstorms. Exact same behavior - never could find anything to work - and tried all of the same "self-med" options.

Luckily for me, he's now nearing his 14th year starting to go deaf, his desensitized hearing has helped more than anything else.

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My best suggestion is talk to your veterinarian - I have a dog that is very similar during thunderstorms. Exact same behavior - never could find anything to work - and tried all of the same "self-med" options.

Luckily for me, he's now nearing his 14th year starting to go deaf, his desensitized hearing has helped more than anything else.
Thanks for the suggestion, I was hoping not to go the drug route because of her age.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Repetition is key to desensitizing. Does she have an issue getting in or avoid getting in? Either way keep practicing. I would put her in there multiple times a day and not go anywhere. Leave the door open and hang out for 5 minutes looking the other way with you phone. Sweeten the deal with a good treat if it helps. Most of our labs liked to sit up on the rear seat so they could see. If we tried to keep them on the floor they would lose it. What worked best for me was adding a pup deck carpeted plywood on the rear seat and a soft pad on that. Then tied a rope across the head rest and flipped up the arm rest. The more you do it the better she will be.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Repetition is key to desensitizing. Does she have an issue getting in or avoid getting in? Either way keep practicing. I would put her in there multiple times a day and not go anywhere. Leave the door open and hang out for 5 minutes looking the other way with you phone. Sweeten the deal with a good treat if it helps. Most of our labs liked to sit up on the rear seat so they could see. If we tried to keep them on the floor they would lose it. What worked best for me was adding a pup deck carpeted plywood on the rear seat and a soft pad on that. Then tied a rope across the head rest and flipped up the arm rest. The more you do it the better she will be.
Thanks, I’ll try it.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
We have a Boston Terrier that used to not go outside for almost a entire day, after hearing fireworks. She would literally wait to use the bathroom that entire time. She'd freak out the entire time any fireworks were let off. Desensitization was the key, and we did it using positive reinforcement and distraction while fireworks were being let off outside. She is a VERY treat motivated dog, though. Distractions with sound and food, also some CBD treats. Have the thunder shirt too. If I am correct, it takes a bit for the CBD to really start to work- just like us taking an OTC anti-inflammatory drug, you need to make sure that it's a "therapeutic dose" used consistently over a period of time to get the true benefits. I'm no vet, but you may want to research that. This is going to sound crazy, but I'd look at the type of food that the pup eats, too. High quality food did wonders for the energy, coats, and moods of our pups. Just my $.02. Good luck!

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
At the risk of stating something too simple - Is she crate trained? Our pup is and if she gets anxious in the car we just set up a soft crate in the back seat for her. She usually passes right out.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Do you have a cab divider/net installed?
How old is the dog?
How many times has the dog been in the JT?
Do you have any comfort beds or toys from your home in the vehicle?

I have experience, maybe with some more info I may provide some help.
Remember, a dog feeds off and reacts to the owners tactics and emotions.
Best of luck.
🐕
Jeep Gladiator Dog co-pilot help. 09C34DE5-88BF-482E-8825-C306A0A23C2D

Sponsored

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Possibly try another brand/formulation of CBD.
We tried gummies from one brand that didn't do jack, then tried an oil from Green Roads and what a world of difference we saw in how our pug was affected.
I am a CBD reseller and have the oil for medium sized dogs on hand...15 - 50 lbs.

AmosMoses01

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Technology
I don't have anything significantly different to add, but it looks like Maggie is just fine on the boat. (Go figure, labs liking the water! :)) Maybe having each trip for a while go to the boat would help desensitize her...

Background for us: Our lab was one we adopted at probably 4 - 5 months old. My parents found him abandoned in a very rural area, brought him home and then proceeded to let us know that our one dog needed a brother. :) So we drove three hours to pick him up. At first, every car trip made him panic - he was traumatized by whoever dumped him in the woods. We did the desensitization thing by taking him on short trips - sometimes just get in the car and go around the block - for quite a while. Eventually it became a "normal thing" for him, but it just took time.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Make the truck a fun positive experience. Don't feed as much before the trip so you can give little treats along the way, even the rest of the breakfast or dinner. And when you get out of the truck give a nice bit of food. Turn it into a positive.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a dog like that. He was a mentally tough field trial bred American lab. He was also alpha and had no problems with separation anxiety.

But when he rode in the car he lost his 5h1t. Yelping, whining, it was terrible.

I couldn't explain it. I tried everything.

In the end, I just brought him along with me less. And when I did, he got tranquilizers before the trip. In 11 years I was unable to make going for a ride a pleasant experience for him.

Sorry for that answer. But that was my experience.

If I had a dog like that, I'd probably put a cap on the gladiator and travel with him in a crate in the back. At least then one of you can enjoy the ride.