First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Database Administrator
I couldn't find another thread that outlines these kinds of issues in one place, so I thought I would start one. Hopefully this will help someone who otherwise might be stranded on the road. Please add any others I may have missed.

These are simple fixes to issues that otherwise could leave you stranded out on the road.

Disconnect AUX Battery

A dead AUX battery can cause the Jeep JL/JT to not start, even if the main battery is new.

how do I not get stranded by the AUX (ESS) battery | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) -- Rubicon, 4xe, 392, Sahara, Sport - JLwranglerforums.com

Jumperless Aux Battery Bypass | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) -- Rubicon, 4xe, 392, Sahara, Sport - JLwranglerforums.com

Jeep Wrangler JL/Gladiator Aux Battery Delete-Odyssey Battery Install (youtube.com)

Help. Time sensitive! Calling Jeep Gladiator Battery Experts. Need help and I'm in Peru. | Page 2 | Jeep Gladiator (JT) News, Forum, Community - JeepGladiatorForum.com

Key Fob Battery Dead

Start your Jeep JL/JT even if the keyfob battery dies.

Remote Battery Dead NO start Jeep JL Wrangler (KeyFob Battery) - YouTube

🪛 Fob 101 -Know thy JL key Fob🪛 | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) -- Rubicon, 4xe, 392, Sahara, Sport - JLwranglerforums.com

Keep a spare CR2450 battery in your glove compartment:

Amazon.com: Duracell 2450 3V Lithium Battery, 1 Count Pack, Lithium Coin Battery for Medical and Fitness Devices, Watches, and more, CR Lithium 3 Volt Cell : Health & Household

Manual Park Release (Automatic Transmission Only)

If you need have your Jeep JL/JT towed and the main battery is dead, here is how to put it in neutral to protect your transmission.

How to Put Your Jeep JL in Neutral When the Battery is Dead (youtube.com)

Manual park override release Jeep JL Wrangler 8 speed trans (youtube.com)

Disengage AutoPark (Automatic Transmission Only)

The Jeep JL/JT automatically shifted itself into park. Here is how you get out of it.

Auto park feature Explained Jeep JL Wrangler (youtube.com)

Per the owner’s manual, AutoPark will automatically engage under the following conditions:

If the vehicle is not in PARK and the driver turns off the engine, the vehicle may AutoPark.

AutoPark will engage when all of these conditions are met:
  • Vehicle is equipped with an 8-speed transmission
  • Driver door is ajar or if the driver door is removed and the driver is not on the seat (seat pad sensor detects driver missing)
  • Vehicle is not in PARK
  • Vehicle speed is 1.2 mph (1.9 km/h) or less Ignition switched from RUN to OFF
NOTE:
For Keyless Enter ‘n Go equipped vehicles, the engine will turn off and the ignition will change to ACC mode. After 30 minutes the ignition switches to OFF automatically, unless the driver turns the ignition OFF.

If the vehicle is not in PARK and the driver exits the vehicle with the engine running, the vehicle may AutoPark.

AutoPark will engage when all of these conditions are met:

• Vehicle is equipped with an 8-speed transmission
  • Driver door is ajar or if the driver door is removed and the driver is not on the seat (seat pad sensor detects driver missing)
  • Vehicle is not in PARK
  • Driver door is removed
  • Vehicle speed is 1.2 mph (1.9 km/h) or less Driver seat belt is unbuckled
  • Driver door is ajar
  • Brake pedal is not pressed
The message “AutoPark Engaged Shift to P then Shift to Gear” will display in the instrument cluster.

NOTE:
In some cases, the ParkSense graphic will be displayed in the instrument cluster. In these cases, the gear selector must be returned to "P" to select desired gear.

If the driver shifts into PARK while moving, the vehicle may AutoPark.

AutoPark will engage ONLY when vehicle speed is 1.2 mph (1.9 km/h) or less.

The message “Vehicle Speed is Too High to Shift to P" will be displayed in the instrument cluster if vehicle speed is above 1.2 mph (1.9 km/h).

WARNING!
If vehicle speed is above 1.2 mph (1.9 km/h), the transmission will default to NEUTRAL until the vehicle speed drops below 1.2 mph (1.9 km/h). A vehicle left in the NEUTRAL position can roll. As an added precaution, always apply the parking brake when exiting the vehicle.

4WD LOW

AutoPark will be disabled when operating the vehicle in 4WD LOW.

The message “AutoPark Disabled” will be displayed in the instrument cluster.

Additional customer warnings will be given when both of these conditions are met:
  • Vehicle is not in PARK
  • Driver’s door is ajar
The message “AutoPark Not Engaged” will be displayed in the instrument cluster. A warning chime will continue until you shift the vehicle into PARK or the driver’s door is closed.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
A dead AUX battery can cause the Jeep JL/JT to not start, even if the main battery is new.
If you replaced the crank battery due to age or battery health and not the aux battery -blame the owner/driver, not the Jeep.
I can't believe how many do that and then complain "that damned aux battery is a problem."

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If you replaced the crank battery due to age or battery health and not the aux battery -blame the owner/driver, not the Jeep.
I can't believe how many do that and then complain "that damned aux battery is a problem."
agree, I learned the hard way (once was enough)

Sponsored

Chunky White

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Yeah I had both batteries checked and the AUX was dead. The crank battery was good and had already been replaced by the previous owner. I started a thread a while back asking about why the start/stop was only working every once in a while and the aux battery was the issue. I hate A. S. S. but don't like when something isn't working correctly and it works now

Last edited:

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Great useful info, thanks for posting.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
Great idea and thank you for getting it rolling.

I recommend a few links on using JScan or a Tazer to get you rolling when the system derates or otherwise bugs out. Saved me on a coast-to-coast and back trip. If no one has those links handy, I’ll try to come back toss them together when I’m not packing for a 500-mile interstate run up north.

Thanks for doing this!

OP
OP
RubiDukkie

RubiDukkie

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Database Administrator
Why not just put the transfer case in neutral?

Kevin
Hi Kevin, I've only ever shifted the TC into N or 4-Lo while the transmission was in N. If the battery is dead or Jeep disabled, then the Manual Park Release may be your best bet to ensure the tow truck driver doesn't drag your Jeep onto the flatbed while in gear. I've only had my Jeep for a year, so I am no expert and did a little research to provide a good answer. Hopefully the following video and info extracted from the owner's manual helps. Thanks for asking this question.

Manual Park Release

In order to move the vehicle in cases where the transmission will not shift out of Park (P) (such as a depleted battery), a Manual Park Release is available.

TOWING A DISABLED VEHICLE
This section describes procedures for towing a disabled vehicle using a commercial towing service.

Flat Tow See instructions
Wheel Lift Or Dolly Tow NOT ALLOWED
Flatbed BEST METHOD

RECREATIONAL TOWING (BEHIND MOTORHOME)
TOWING THIS VEHICLE BEHIND ANOTHER VEHICLE

Flat Tow

1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop on level ground.
2. Press and hold the brake pedal.
3. Shift the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL
4. Turn the engine off.
5. Shift the transfer case lever into N (Neutral).
6. Start the engine.
7. Shift the transmission into DRIVE or REVERSE.
8. Release the brake pedal for five seconds and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 with automatic transmission in DRIVE
10. Turn the engine off.
11. Firmly apply the parking brake.
12. Shift the transmission into PARK

Last edited:

Sponsored

insanitize

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Commando, 07 Rubi JKU, 2024 MINI, 21 Gladiator+
Occupation
NYC-DOT, Retired
This thread should be made a Sticky so that you don't have to search for it

DarthAWM

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Oilfield Service
Hi Kevin, I've only ever shifted the TC into N or 4-Lo while the transmission was in N. If the battery is dead or Jeep disabled, then the Manual Park Release may be your best bet to ensure the tow truck driver doesn't drag your Jeep onto the flatbed while in gear. I've only had my Jeep for a year, so I am no expert and did a little research to provide a good answer. Hopefully the following video and info extracted from the owner's manual helps. Thanks for asking this question.

Manual Park Release

In order to move the vehicle in cases where the transmission will not shift out of Park (P) (such as a depleted battery), a Manual Park Release is available.

TOWING A DISABLED VEHICLE
This section describes procedures for towing a disabled vehicle using a commercial towing service.

Flat Tow See instructions
Wheel Lift Or Dolly Tow NOT ALLOWED
Flatbed BEST METHOD

RECREATIONAL TOWING (BEHIND MOTORHOME)
TOWING THIS VEHICLE BEHIND ANOTHER VEHICLE

Flat Tow

1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop on level ground.
2. Press and hold the brake pedal.
3. Shift the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL
4. Turn the engine off.
5. Shift the transfer case lever into N (Neutral).
6. Start the engine.
7. Shift the transmission into DRIVE or REVERSE.
8. Release the brake pedal for five seconds and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 with automatic transmission in DRIVE
10. Turn the engine off.
11. Firmly apply the parking brake.
12. Shift the transmission into PARK
At some point you would have to release the parking brake to flat tow

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Kevin, I've only ever shifted the TC into N or 4-Lo while the transmission was in N. If the battery is dead or Jeep disabled, then the Manual Park Release may be your best bet to ensure the tow truck driver doesn't drag your Jeep onto the flatbed while in gear.
I pulled a locked-up 1980 Eagle Limited station wagon onto my flatbed trailer with all 4 wheels locked. It had sat long enough the rear brakes had enough rust to prevent them from turning, and the guy that had removed the engine left the front differential hanging in the engine bay (it normally was bolted to the engine) and it locked the front axles due to the severe angle so the front wheels were locked up. I backed up to it and used my winch and another guy on a come-along - not even a PTO powered winch, to drag it onto the trailer (watered the ramps and wood trailer bed to make it more slippery)
If I can do it with a hand-crank winch, a truck driver can do it with a hydraulic or pto-powered winch. Heck, some of the Jeep people here pull Jeeps out over worse things with the winch on their bumper.

Jeep Gladiator Don't Get Stranded - Easy Fixes Tips & Tricks (Dead Batteries, Manual Park Release, AutoPark Disengage Etc) trailer 010

So I wonder - would locking all 4 wheels on a Jeep stop them?
Maybe - Eagle = 3,300 pounds, but ordinary street tires. Jeep = 5,000 pounds with larger, wider tires. Maybe it's enough drag and friction?

How does the repo man do it with vehicle for which he has no keys?

Would be interesting to see of any have been hauled away with all 4 wheels locked.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Why not just put the transfer case in neutral?

Kevin
The manual says to keep it in gear and shift the trans case to N, at least for MTs.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
i deal with this daily with my job. People run 2 batteries but only replace one. Then 3 months later both are dead again.
Sponsored