Sponsored

Donut Media test torque wrenches, the results may surprise you.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Ironically, there are other YT videos testing these same or similar wrenches, and a couple of them have the Icon beating the snap-on torque wrench. After seeing the other videos I was quite surprised this one was so far off.

This is just one of those other tests - He actually does a better more fair test by alternating wrenches, and testing both ways, etc.

I've run into a couple of others where the Icon was repeatably accurate, in one video, under 2% deviation from goal.
Sponsored

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
I buy cheap shit. The idea being if it breaks i'll replace with quality. Except in 2 years working as a mechnic and the 15 years since, i've only ever broken one 16mm 3/8 socket.

I know this post is about precision tools, and that's a completely different ballgame for reliability where you have to trust it's working because you can't see that it's not, but the idea of dudes out there buying snap-on socket wrenches because of the number of teeth is a joke. I've got garbage era craftsman stuff, stanley, husky, dewalt, pretty much every single "big box cheap but not quite harbor freight cheap" brand is in my toolbox. Snap-On and it's ilk are a scam.
Jeep Cares does not drill down on problems nor are they all things to all people. Their scope is pretty limited outside just facilitating communications between you and the dealership.

Come hang out with me, I can break a Craftsman 5/8 socket every 10 minutes, and screw drivers too, not from abuse, just know the right bolts!
But I also have broken my share of high dollar tools, Worked on the Space Shuttle program broke 2 different wrenches, and not using it the wrong way,

I do agree HF does have some nice boxes and tools, I even buy there paint guns, everything gets better

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a HF touch-up gun years ago when I was doing the engine bay of my 70- that was before 2010. Then when I did the engine bay of my SX4, I used it then - that was about 2012.
When I bought it everyone said they were good for 2 or 3 uses.
Mine still works fine. The key is cleaning it as quick as you are done with it. Thoroughly disassemble it, clean it so there's no paint or residue left behind, check seals, every detail, and put it away until next time. I can still use it and still get a great pattern out of it for an old-tech gun. I think I paid 16 bucks figuring it was a throw-away tool. Years later it works fine.

I can break a Craftsman 5/8 socket every 10 minutes
I guess I thought rockets would be metric............ any aliens who find our stuff are going to be thoroughly confused if we use English fasteners.

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
Not on rockets or the Shuttle, SBC

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Working on steam turbines and gas turbines for Elliott TurboMachinery. Used to make our own tools to make the job easier. In the shop, most of us used Snap-On or Mac tools. Anything broken got taken care of every Wednesday. For road jobs. We all had a set of basic hand tools from Craftsman. If you broke a tool. All you had to do is to find a local Sears store.

At the power plant. We used different brands of tools. We broke them all. We had a rule of thumb there. Do not use a chrome chinese socket on a impact gun. Seen too many of them explode. Nothing like driving a co-worker to the hospital to have the socket pieces removed from his hand.

We broke a Hy-Torc hydraulic wrench on a check valve on a 3,000 psi steam line. Was tighten down 3" diameter studs. when we broke it. It caused a world wide recall for that type of hydraulic head.

When the coal mines was still in operations around here. My dad was a mine foreman, then a mine superintendent. The mines where he worked at all used Snap-On tools. My brother and me got a bunch of free Snap-On tools. LOL

To those who say that you don't break tools. Give them to me. I will wear them out and break them.

Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Reminds me of my time in the AF torquing the aft mount bolts on a GAU-8. I split a snap-on socket and ended up with a nice little permanent keep sake on my face.

I saw that torque wrench snap, I was expecting to see blood.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Reminds me of my time in the AF torquing the aft mount bolts on a GAU-8. I split a snap-on socket and ended up with a nice little permanent keep sake on my face.

I saw that torque wrench snap, I was expecting to see blood.
Had a broken bolt hit me in the face. When I got myself back together. I had a fat lip and a chipped tooth.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Had a broken bolt hit me in the face. When I got myself back together. I had a fat lip and a chipped tooth.
Lucky that's all you had. I've seen things aiming right for the eye. And with one good one, you use goggles, shields, whatever.
Sponsored