Sponsored

Door Hinge Bolt - ON or OFF?

Door on and off all the time? - Do you reinstall bolts when you put the doors back on?

• Total voters

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
So, I have always put the bottom bolt back on when I reinstall the doors but have run into a bunch of Jeep people that said they never put them back on.

I see the merit when taking on and off all the time. Between the door latch and the door open catch...I don't see the door going anywhere?

What is everyone doing? Anyone have a problem leaving the out?

2019-10-13_16-26-23.jpg
Sponsored

sbetts

First Name
SB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray Rubicon
We leave them out but put the ‘extenders’ on which also make lining up to the hinges easier

OP
OP
Godfadr

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We leave them out but put the ‘extenders’ on which also make lining up to the hinges easier
Interesting. I can't say that I have seen them. Then again...never really looked.

Alaska-HWY JK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon LJ 2007 JKU 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I only put them on the JK and LJ when the half doors are on because I don’t lock either of them when the soft tops are on. They’re easy to steal.

Texas_Gladiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1998 Wrangler
I left them off when I put the doors back on last Thursday. Drove over to Austin, TX this weekend and did some wheeling. No issues at all so far! I plan to leave them off for good now. Also pushed those door hinge bars inside the door frames and plan to leave them off, too.

Sponsored

sbetts

First Name
SB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray Rubicon
OP
OP
Godfadr

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Col C

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
So, I have always put the bottom bolt back on when I reinstall the doors but have run into a bunch of Jeep people that said they never put them back on.

I see the merit when taking on and off all the time. Between the door latch and the door open catch...I don't see the door going anywhere?

What is everyone doing? Anyone have a problem leaving the out?

2019-10-13_16-26-23.jpg
I left mine out this summer, as I was swapping out with the tube doors regularly with no issues. I'm going to reinstall them before winter as I don't want water getting up in there and freezing. Not a likely issue, but you just never know.

Last edited:

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Bringing this thread back alive. Found the hinge ones to be a pain, but plan on leaving the ones inside since the door stop feature is kind of nice. Has anybody tried these pins mentioned earlier and used them awhile?

https://www.amazon.com/Hinge-Guides...L+Hinge+pin+bolt+liners&qid=1571015641&sr=8-2

Trying to get my JT as quick to take down as possible since the kids are a little to young to help me. The thumbscrew hack for the soft top was amazing for me today.

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Jeep already made the top hinge a bit longer that the bottom to help with lingering up the doors. It is a big help. Lining up the doors on my JK was much more difficult. I don't see the need to add anymore length than they already have. Save your $16.

sbetts

First Name
SB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray Rubicon
Bringing this thread back alive. Found the hinge ones to be a pain, but plan on leaving the ones inside since the door stop feature is kind of nice. Has anybody tried these pins mentioned earlier and used them awhile?

https://www.amazon.com/Hinge-Guides...L+Hinge+pin+bolt+liners&qid=1571015641&sr=8-2

Trying to get my JT as quick to take down as possible since the kids are a little to young to help me. The thumbscrew hack for the soft top was amazing for me today.
We've had these on for several months now and really like them. We find that they make it easier to guide the doors on,

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Took them out pretty much right after buying the Jeep and forgot about them until reading this post :LOL:

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Jeep already made the top hinge a bit longer that the bottom to help with lingering up the doors. It is a big help. Lining up the doors on my JK was much more difficult. I don't see the need to add anymore length than they already have. Save your $16.
Thats good to know. I thought maybe I got lucky because my jeep was new. I remember the nightmare I had with my dad's JKUR over the summer taking them off and putting them back on.

We've had these on for several months now and really like them. We find that they make it easier to guide the doors on,
Also really good to know, I did struggle a little bit with getting them on the passenger's side. Might add an alert for these and wait for them to drop a bit.

Took them out pretty much right after buying the Jeep and forgot about them until reading this post :LOL:
Lol I left mine out (only owned the Jeep for about two weeks) and was staring at them remembering the pain they were to get out this morning. Currently they are still under the seat and might get moved inside to the box of random stuff I rip off my cars.