Door Hinge chips

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL - This is my 5th Wrangler and my third 4 door Wrangler. I purchased mine new April 2018. My door hinges have an incredible amount of chips to the bare metal. I do not live on a stone road or rarely drive stone roads and have not taken this jeep offroad yet. The chipping and condition of my hinges after one year of time is awful. I will include pics. To me this is a design flaw with the new Rubicon JL's that is causing this issue with rocks being able to be thrown onto these hinges. I know there are aftermarket 3M vinyl that people are putting on them and covers but this seems unacceptable to me for a 50K plus vehicle. My question for all the Rubicon owners (I have been told it is only happening on Rubicons due to the different fender flares and larger tires) does having
jeep hinge.png
some kind of slider that sticks out prevent this from happening. I have made a report to Jeep Cares on this issue and it has not been resolved yet but ultimately they should be painted. It is way too many chips on them to use touch-up paint. Can those of you that have the non-factory rock rails tell me if that seems to stop this issue. I wonder if a wider rock rail or slider would stop the rocks from hitting the hinges. Thanks.
Sponsored

Surfstud31

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Well that's bizarre isn't it? I have a 6 month old 2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon myself and I don't have a single chip on the door hinges. Mine has the stock Rubicon fenders and I'm not seeing that problem at all. Weird.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Well that's bizarre isn't it? I have a 6 month old 2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon myself and I don't have a single chip on the door hinges. Mine has the stock Rubicon fenders and I'm not seeing that problem at all. Weird.
same here 14k miles and not a single chip or mark, I have stock rims and tires

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
Dianna, How many miles do you have on it?

I don't have many, and I sure don't want that to happen to mine.

Sponsored

OP
OP

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dianna, How many miles do you have on it?

I don't have many, and I sure don't want that to happen to mine.
18,000 miles but it started probably 6 months ago.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Mud flaps, hinge protectors or a step slider.

Rubi rails don't stick out enough to stop flying object from smashing the hinges.

It isn't a design flaw, just the way it is because of lift and high rubicon fenders.

if you lifted a sport or sahara same thing could happen.

I would get some firecracker touch up, paint them, then choose which way you want to protect them.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed my driver side rear hinge was chipped at about 1000 miles with my 19 JLUR, as well as some rock pits on my rear fender ( Standard black) it sucks and I agree. I do understand it's a jeep thing. However, there is some things that have been issues for many years that you would think would get rectified. it's a known problem that's going to happen to any Jeep unless you have bicycle tires on it. You think that they would have put some sort of protection on them from the get go! My plan is to throw some touch up paint on the chips and either go the route of putting film on them our getting the black hinge covers, I have a Sting Grey so I don't think it'd look to bad.

OP
OP

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mud flaps, hinge protectors or a step slider.

Rubi rails don't stick out enough to stop flying object from smashing the hinges.

It isn't a design flaw, just the way it is because of lift and high rubicon fenders.

if you lifted a sport or sahara same thing could happen.

I would get some firecracker touch up, paint them, then choose which way you want to protect them.
I would understand if i modified my jeep but i did not it came this way from the factory. Also jeep does not even make a factory mudflap for the Rubicon. I would have gladly bought bigger rails or mudflaps if i knew my hinges would be this chipped after 6 months. It never happened on any of my past Wranglers and some of them were lifted and much larger tires. Touch up paint will not last on these hinges - that one wasn't even the worst of it. Just too much in my mind for a 50K vehicle.

Grimace-912

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon and 9 other bikes, trucks, cars :)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

y'all are missing that the rubicons have an 1.5" wider axle than the sports as well. so the tires are bigger, wider and the axles is wider. looks like you may want to clear coat the chips to keep it from rusting and install some protectors to cover it up. bigger sliders so long as they have a angled plate will help but nothings 100%. id suggest a set of mopar mud/rock flaps that would help alot.. I dont have any chips on my hinges yet but i dont daily my jeep due to a take home work truck. Besides that i have full rubi suspension and rubi take off wheels and tires and have not had any issues. best wishes!

Dansjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
agree that it is unacceptable for a 50k vehicle, also that jeep was not thinking about the people that do not modify their jeeps

it sucks but easy fix from what people are saying

Georgew48

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I had one on my drivers side rear door and it was from me releasing my drivers seat belt with the door open and just letting go of the seat belt. The belt metal piece flew out with enough force to strike the hinge. I now hold onto the belt when I release it. Bought the factory touch up paint and fixed it perfectly.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I was having the same problem since day one. Ever since putting on the Rokblokz I haven't had a single chip.Not to say it won't happen... but it hasn't yet. I've been touching up the hinges with the Mopar touch up paint (that includes a clearcoat to go over it).

So far only have the flaps on the front. Will put the rears on when I replace the rear bumper.

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_1368 1.JPG

IMG_1497.JPG

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I have no chips, but forgot to mention that I installed the Mopar premium rock rails that have a slight step that extends outwards blocking rocks and debris
Sponsored