Sponsored

Door removal ideas/questions

the-dude-abides

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020
This is my first jeep. I've removed all 4 doors a couple of times now and feel like there could be a better way to remove the bolts than the oem socket and wrench.

First, there's the issue of scratching. I thought a magnet fridge thing would be a great idea but damned if the doors and body aren't aluminum. So pretty much painters tape is about the only thing I could think of.

Second, the tools in use. I was wondering if people used a drill and a flexible extension to make it faster and minimize damage potential.

I've read that other jeep owners just leave the bolts out of the door but the "hill stay" thing pretty much always needs to be tightened/removed or you risk scratching your paint where the bracket meets the body.

So what are people doing to expedite door removal/installation? Is there a technique/tool that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!
Sponsored

theHunter

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR-LE, 2019 F-250, 2011 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1997 TJ SE, 1995 F150, 1979 Corvette

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I used the soft doors on my old jeep. Loved them and plan to order a set for my truck.

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first jeep. I've removed all 4 doors a couple of times now and feel like there could be a better way to remove the bolts than the oem socket and wrench.

First, there's the issue of scratching. I thought a magnet fridge thing would be a great idea but damned if the doors and body aren't aluminum. So pretty much painters tape is about the only thing I could think of.

Second, the tools in use. I was wondering if people used a drill and a flexible extension to make it faster and minimize damage potential.

I've read that other jeep owners just leave the bolts out of the door but the "hill stay" thing pretty much always needs to be tightened/removed or you risk scratching your paint where the bracket meets the body.

So what are people doing to expedite door removal/installation? Is there a technique/tool that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!
I haven't found any issues with this process. Very straightforward and simple. Playing with your Jeep should be like a vacation and not like a trip! Take your time and enjoy it!

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I took the screws out of the door hinges and I’m not looking back... 3rd Jeep non problematic. Now for the door catches I’m currently using the supplied wrench/tool for the door catch until I can to get a long bit from the hardware store for my drill.

Sponsored

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
I took the screws out of the door hinges and I’m not looking back... 3rd Jeep non problematic. Now for the door catches I’m currently using the supplied wrench/tool for the door catch until I can to get a long bit from the hardware store for my drill.
I have done this on both my JKs. Once the bolt is removed no need to put it back. Good to know this is the same in the JT

wyldefreebyrd

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White Gladiator Rubicon
Have done the same with no plans to put the screws back. Have even left the door catch screws out with no plans to install.

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
On my TJ I only ever hand tightened them, easy to remove without any tools. I would imagine i will do the same when I have a JT.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
On my JK the door bolts and freedom top knobs come out by March and don’t go back until December. I use a small cordless impact driver to take all the bolts on and off. The supplied ratchet handle makes the process a chore.

As for doors on and off the key I’ve found is to roll the windows down and stand to the inside with one hand on the handle and the other on the keeper strap, in the case of the JL/JT I guess it would be reversed, stand to the outside and reach an arm through to the finger hold in the arm rest and the other either on the window frame or the handle.

The bigger hassle is going to be getting them back on, the pins need to be concentric to the pivots on the truck which means if the truck is at some slight angle, the door needs to be at some slight angle as well. For years I’ve debated the extended alignment pins and for years I’ve not actually done it.

Keep the pivots and pins greased with a silicone grease to keep crud and grit out of the holes, grease also helps to control any slack that will develop as they wear against each other. You can get delrin pivot sleeves to rebush them once the clearance gets huge or put them on now and never do it again.

Keep your electrical harness connections clean and greased with dielectric, keeps moisture out which helps control corrosion and makes removal and installation a snap.

OP
OP
the-dude-abides

the-dude-abides

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020
Have done the same with no plans to put the screws back. Have even left the door catch screws out with no plans to install.
So I assume you've just let the door catches recede back into the doors and left it that way? No issues with it contacting the body weirdly when you close the door?

Sponsored

Plippi07

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
The first thing I did when I got my JT home was remove the door hinge bolts. Haven’t been able to take the doors off yet because of this Florida rain EVERYDAY. But did take the freedom panels out the other day for a bit, and installed a sunshade

wyldefreebyrd

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White Gladiator Rubicon
So I assume you've just let the door catches recede back into the doors and left it that way? No issues with it contacting the body weirdly when you close the door?
So far no issues. The catch recedes far enough that it does not cause a problem when closing the door.

OP
OP
the-dude-abides

the-dude-abides

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020
So far no issues. The catch recedes far enough that it does not cause a problem when closing the door.
That's good to hear. I'll give that a good. That said, I used my drill to put in the door catch bolts yesterday and it was a breeze. The tip about leaving to door hinge nuts/bolts off was key. Makes the whole ordeal take way less time.

Thanks all!
Sponsored