Sponsored

Doors off/doors on

chuckfinley79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JT
Does anyone run their doors on without bolting them back on every time? If you do have you had any long term problems?

Background: Had the doors off my JT on Memorial Day, raced a thunderstorm home put, the doors back on (without bolting them back in) and closed them as the storm hit. Next day forgot they weren’t bolted in and ran some errands with no problems.

Now my wife wants to leave her JLU doors unbolted because she says she’s “not good with tools” and doesn’t want to have to unbolt and bolt them every time.
Sponsored

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
Does anyone run their doors on without bolting them back on every time? If you do have you had any long term problems?

Background: Had the doors off my JT on Memorial Day, raced a thunderstorm home put, the doors back on (without bolting them back in) and closed them as the storm hit. Next day forgot they weren’t bolted in and ran some errands with no problems.

Now my wife wants to leave her JLU doors unbolted because she says she’s “not good with tools” and doesn’t want to have to unbolt and bolt them every time.
Do you mean the bottom bolts that screw through the hinge onto the door pin? Yea I threw those in the storage box and never put them back on. You'll hear from a lot of people here that they do the same, or keep them off until the wintertime where salt can be an issue for northern states.
I would just ensure that the area is clean of debris when putting the doors back on, but they are unnecessary overall to put back on.

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
yes, what @rvillano8188 said. Torx bolts out on day 1, never to be put back on here. Never had any problem with my JK's, and just went through a Michigan winter w/o any problem getting the doors off this summer. I do clean and grease each guide and hole every spring. Idk if that helps. Just peace of mind after helping a buddy 8yrs ago get ceased pins unstuck

Ray F.

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
I take mine off every weekend and just bought/installed pin guides on the door pins to project the door pin threads and jamb-side bushings. Zero problems.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
The hinge bolts are gone. Put in things to help guide them in for reattachment. I do reinstall the stopper every time though. The kids kind of need the stoppers in place. Be careful with those things. They will suck in and get stuck and are a pain to get out.

MomsSpaghetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I never put the bolts back onto my JK for the entire time I had it. In some collisions, that could be less safe.

Sponsored

Biscodave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gator bone stock
I had a jku that I took those boots off and never put back on. Wheeled the heck out of it, drove many miles highway and back roads zero issues. Once my jpegz show up I’ll be pulling them and never putting back

Mr. Wuf

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Principal
I have owned a TJ, two JKUs, and now my Gladiator. The hinge bolts come out the first time my doors come off, and they disappear into the void, never to be seen again.