Sponsored

Doors off question

G_S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
My gladiator will be delivered this week.

And I have 4 questions about taking the doors off.

1) Primarly in Lousiana (also some Texas & Arkansas)
Are there any laws regarding going down public roads with the doors off.

2) Is there anything better for taking to door bolts off, than the wrench that comes with it?? ( I was thinking about getting a cheap electrical impact from Harbor Freight for this job)

3) Is there any type of security for when the doors are off, and you go to Wal-Mart & run into get something to Stop or catch some A-hole, from damaging the inside?

4) What is the preffered brand / product for hanging them on a wall??
Sponsored

Texas_Gladiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1998 Wrangler
I can only speak for Texas, no issues here with doors off. Just have to have a mirror that shows 250 yards back so the rear view covers that. I am also thinking about getting an power ratchet of some sort to help getting all the bolts out, but the tool provided does the job just fine in my experience. Not really sure about the security part, I mean, when everything is off it's pretty much wide open.

cajun charlie

First Name
Cajun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon

And I have 4 questions about taking the doors off.

1) Primarly in Lousiana (also some Texas & Arkansas)
Are there any laws regarding going down public roads with the doors off.

2) Is there anything better for taking to door bolts off, than the wrench that comes with it?? ( I was thinking about getting a cheap electrical impact from Harbor Freight for this job)

3) Is there any type of security for when the doors are off, and you go to Wal-Mart & run into get something to Stop or catch some A-hole, from damaging the inside?

I purchased a 1/4" pneumatic ratchet wrench and covered all metal that could contact the truck in duct tape. Also, I only use the upper bolts for my factory and tube doors, reducing switch over time.

If the doors are off you are vulnerable to any a##hole with bad intentions. just keep your compartments locked and valuables on your person.

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I would be careful with an impact wrench as that may be a bit "too much" The included toolset does the job but a better ratchet or a cordless ratchet would make things go a bit quicker. For the initial "break" and final "tightening" I would do with a regular ratchet just so you don't tear up the heads. After breaking everything loose I just chuck the bit in my cordless drill to speed up removal of everything.

As far as security it would be no different than leaving your doors open. You could opt for an alarm system with proximity sensors but those things go off all the time on convertibles when the top is down. Anything important lock in the glovebox, console, or you can look at under seat lock boxes. Or go full enchilada and get a hard tonneau cover so anything in the bed is locked and out of site out of mind. The tonneau cover has added a nice layer of protection for my tool bag, laptop, etc.

JK2007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU, 2014 KL, 2020 JT
Been driving Wranglers for 20 years. Best security is don't leave anything in there you don't want taken. Same applies when using a soft top - better off just leaving it unlocked as you would rather have someone open the door than slice a window.

Sponsored

WhiteJT8541

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
LEO
ARC off road makes great door hangers for the jeep. Also, like @cajun charlie said, I only use the upper door bolt on my factory doors to lessen the time it takes to remove them.

WhiteJT8541

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
LEO

BK_Yeti

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I leave both sets of bolts out and keep the interior hinge stowed. Much faster. I did purchase a Dewalt electric screwdriver, and that makes quick work of the bolts if they are left in.

OP
OP

G_S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
@cajun charlie
Any especial Lousiana laws I should know about.

I am not worried so much about their, of valuables. I currently in a convertible, and know the rules.

I was just worried about a$$holes, doing a$$hole stuff.

Also, what is the go to side mirrors for when the doors are off then??

Sponsored

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
You need side mirrors on both sides. That's the only thing I find when I was looking them up.

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
And you know what parts of town to stay out of with your doors off but assholes are everywhere. Freedom comes at a risk but I'm not going to worry about it. That's what insurance is for.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities

1) My state has no law about door off mirrors, but for my own safety and others felt the need to add some mirrors. These are the ones I put on. No vibration or wind noise and serve the purpose.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ator-today-part-deux.21684/page-2#post-335404

I’m going to get a small right angle drill attachment. Been using the Jeep tool kit, but it’s a slow process.

I installed a Vault Console. (See link)
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/interior-lock-box.20445/#post-319163

Curious about this as well.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
LA code 32:354

§354. Mirrors

A. After January 1, 1975, every motor vehicle manufactured or assembled after December 31, 1972, of a type subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror mounted on the left side of the vehicle and so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of the vehicle.

B. Every motor vehicle of a type subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle or motor driven cycle, shall be equipped with an additional mirror mounted either inside the vehicle approximately in the center or outside the vehicle on the right side and so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of the vehicle. When the required view from the inside mirror is obstructed, an outside mirror on the right side of the vehicle shall be required.

C. All mirrors required by this section shall be maintained in good condition at all times.

D. In addition to the mirrors required in Subsections A and B of this Section, every school bus shall be equipped with a mirror on the right side of the vehicle and so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of the vehicle.

E. Every school bus shall be equipped with a mirror of a type and so located as to give the seated driver a view of the area immediately in front of the front bumper, provided, however, that any Type II school bus constructed in such a way that the seated driver has a view of the area immediately in front of the front bumper need not be equipped with the mirror otherwise required by this Subsection.

F. Notwithstanding any provision of this Section or any other provision of law to the contrary, motor vehicles which are used by rural mail carriers in the performance of their duties shall not be required to be equipped with a mirror on the passenger side of the vehicle.

G. In addition to the mirrors required in Subsections A and B of this Section, every delivery van which is part of an official state motor vehicle fleet shall be equipped with a mirror of a type and so located as to give the seated driver a view of the area immediately in the rear of the rear bumper.

Acts 1962, No. 310, §1. Amended by Acts 1968, No. 273, §4; Acts 1974, No. 21, §1; Acts 1976, No. 383, §1; Acts 1993, No. 97, §1; Acts 1997, No. 187, §1.

As far as the ass hats don't leave anything in it you don't want to loose. I don't lock my glovebox or center council I don't want to come back to my truck and find them broken.

I don't put any bolts back on my doors. 4 bolts on my top and 4 bolts on the windshield. I can get everything on and off in under 10 min.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Been driving Wranglers for 20 years. Best security is don't leave anything in there you don't want taken. Same applies when using a soft top - better off just leaving it unlocked as you would rather have someone open the door than slice a window.
Amen brother.

I have a Decked in the bed and even with the doors off I can put anything valuable in there and lock the tailgate. The main thing is don’t leave anything that anyone would want to steal. I even leave the bins unlocked, if above mentioned A-Hole finds a locked console or glove compartment they will start jerking on it and break something.
Sponsored