CCOlotti

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Eco Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I’m thinking about getting the hard cover and saw it needs drain tubes. I saw these existing holes but was curious if anyone has used these as drain homes without drilling new ones.

149E5C65-F7C7-427B-87BD-2CE418A80E37.jpeg
Sponsored

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I am using those but to be honest I'm not really sure if it's meant for that or not.

There's a spot on the back of the bed where you are "supposed" to drill out for the holes. You can see it just to the left in the picture, under the bedliner.

I tried to look under the fender but couldn't really see where the hole leads. I figure it's not water-tight as it stands with a gaping hole so there's probably not a lot of danger in doing this.

Code 3

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTM
I also used those holes and traced the drain hoses to inside the fender wells. All good.

Mine is the Line-X'd version, very happy with it except that it is NOT watertight. Weather-resistant yes, weather-proof no.

OP
OP
CCOlotti

CCOlotti

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I also used those holes and traced the drain hoses to inside the fender wells. All good.

Mine is the Line-X'd version, very happy with it except that it is NOT watertight. Weather-resistant yes, weather-proof no.
We that sort of defeats the purpose doesn’t it? Not being weather tight.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
We that sort of defeats the purpose doesn’t it? Not being weather tight.

The good ones are pretty darn water tight ... But since it is not one piece water "may" fined its way in ... The drains allow it to run out the bottom and not sit and eventually rust ..

It is a pretty good design and is good and water resistant ...

Just go to harbor freight and get a $10 progressive drill bit ... It takes 30 seconds to drill and the place you are supposed to drill is a plastic plug and not metal ... It is a no brainer ...

I would not use the other holes without verifying that they drain to the ground ...

Sponsored

Code 3

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTM
My primary concerns were adding a decent level of security for bed contents and keeping stuff (leaves, snow) out.

Totally water tight would have been nice but I’m not sure it’s 100% achievable with any folding cover. I’ll mess around with it when the weather is better and try to figure out exactly where the water is getting in. It’s not a lot, very small amount even after being parked outside in a 3” downpour.

Edit- the holes I used for the drain tubes drain out in front of the rear tires, all good.

OP
OP
CCOlotti

CCOlotti

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My primary concerns were adding a decent level of security for bed contents and keeping stuff (leaves, snow) out.

Totally water tight would have been nice but I’m not sure it’s 100% achievable with any folding cover. I’ll mess around with it when the weather is better and try to figure out exactly where the water is getting in. It’s not a lot, very small amount even after being parked outside in a 3” downpour.

Edit- the holes I used for the drain tubes drain out in front of the rear tires, all good.
And the holes you used are the ones in my photo? I would hope those drain to the ground. Or why have them? LOL

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
And the holes you used are the ones in my photo? I would hope those drain to the ground. Or why have them? LOL

That was my logic. I don't know exactly what they are for, but they certainly don't keep water out open to the air like that. I'm not really sure what would be harmed under there to begin with.

OP
OP
CCOlotti

CCOlotti

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That was my logic. I don't know exactly what they are for, but they certainly don't keep water out open to the air like that. I'm not really sure what would be harmed under there to begin with.
I was planning on using a turkey Baster to see where those drain too. 😂

Code 3

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTM
Yes, those are the holes I routed the drain hoses out of. Once you snake them through, you can clearly see them in front of each rear tire, draining directly out of the bed area.

I’m not where my Jeep is but I’ll post a pic of the hoses from underneath tomorrow.

OP
OP
CCOlotti

CCOlotti

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, those are the holes I routed the drain hoses out of. Once you snake them through, you can clearly see them in front of each rear tire, draining directly out of the bed area.

I’m not where my Jeep is but I’ll post a pic of the hoses from underneath tomorrow.
Cool. Thanks mate.
Sponsored