Sponsored

Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch

• Thread starter Deleted member 30519
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1

Deleted member 30519

I bought this because my sport diddnt come with a receiver and I diddnt want the hassle of taking my steel bumper off to put the OEM one on plus it was $50 cheaper. I'm not a big fan on how it looks from the side but it is was it is I guess. I'm running a 3.5" lift with 38s so I don't think I'll have any clearance issues off-road.

Jeep Gladiator Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch PSX_20220417_153053

Jeep Gladiator Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch PSX_20220417_153225
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I think you did good. I would consider spraying it with a bed liner while it's new. Aftermarket trailer hitches rust really fast. That black paint on them flakes off starting in the first year. I have the factory hitch and used POR-15 on mine as it started to rust at the chain hooks after a year.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

That's a great idea. I should of thought about that before I put it on especially with the bad winters in NY. Do you think pore-15 or bed liner would work best with step bar brackets at the pinch weld? I re did mine with some kind of auto Rust-Oleum after they completely rusted and again they are all rusted again after one year. I got a new set of 8 brackets from the vendor so I wanna spray these new ones with something that's gonna last.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think you did good. I would consider spraying it with a bed liner while it's new. Aftermarket trailer hitches rust really fast. That black paint on them flakes off starting in the first year. I have the factory hitch and used POR-15 on mine as it started to rust at the chain hooks after a year.
Receivers are seldom prepped well for paint. And now they seem to be powder coated (some of them, anyway) and that takes prep as well.
Yes, that black generally does flake off and the way it flakes suggests - bad prep but then people don't buy them for appearance, usually tucked up under the butt of some car or truck.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
The POR-15 works best if it's already rusted. I did the frame on my camper so I sloped some on the Gladiator receiver. (and I do mean Sloped). It runs like lighter fluid.
Sponsored