Sponsored

Drive a Gladiator for only 1 year and sell - how much will it cost me?

Eddiehaskell

Banned
Banned
First Name
Greggory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
  • Banned
Well, I’ve done well and I’m retired in my 30s. I’ve driven a Prius for the last 11 years.

I want to drive a different new/cool vehicle every year for the rest of my life!

My budget is $8500/year. So in essence I’m willing to throw away $8500/year if it allows me to drive a new/different/cool vehicle every year.

How much would it cost me to start with a Gladiator and drive it one year? What trim holds value the best?

Purchase price = ?
1 year resell price = ?

My state tax rate is 3% on a vehicle so I’d like to figure that into my $8500 too.

Purchase price of vehicles is capped around $60,000.
Sponsored

kvrsos

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Gobi, Past Jeeps: 1984 CJ-7 and 2009 JK Sport Unlimited
How many miles do you drive annually?

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
My budget is $8500/year. So in essence I’m willing to throw away $8500/year if it allows me to drive a new/different/cool vehicle every year.
If you want to have a guarantee of the cost to drive per year then find the vehicle you want and ask them what it would cost you for a 1 year lease with the single pay option...

At that time at least you realize what that number will be...

If at the end of the lease it is worth more than what the lease end value is then sell it and recoup that value...

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
Sounds like fun but I don't see this plan ever working for you. Cars just are not great at holding value. Sure some old cars are worth a lot of money now but that isn't what you are talking about. If you figure that most cars, even ones that hold value well lose 3 to 5k just driving off the lot, your $8500 figure doesn't leave much room. The value that Jeeps see is in a longer term than the one year. While everyone hopes that the Gladiator holds it's value like the Wranglers have in the past, there is no information on this as it is still too new and hasn't even made it a year yet.
You can help yourself by getting the best price possible by going through one of the dealers discussed here on the forum, but I still don't think it will really work with the figures you have posted.
As far as best value retention, who knows? I am going to throw out my guess and say a moderately optioned Sport with Max Tow will hold the most value. I base that on the fact that I think it will be one of the more sought after configurations on the secondary market and the initial cost is not that high. But that is really a guess on my part.
Good luck on your quest but I am thinking it isn't really going to work out.

OP
OP

Eddiehaskell

Banned
Banned
First Name
Greggory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
  • Banned
I would be driving the vehicle less than 8500 miles per year which may be something people aren’t considering.

That’s much less than the typical ~15,000 miles per year which should = higher resale value.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I would be driving the vehicle less than 8500 miles per year which may be something people aren’t considering.

That’s much less than the typical ~15,000 miles per year which should = higher resale value.
Get a quote on a low mileage lease. You save in taxes with a lease because you only pay tax on the depreciation, not the full purchase price.

OP
OP

Eddiehaskell

Banned
Banned
First Name
Greggory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
  • Banned
I can’t find any 1 year leases...Google says they would be way expensive.

I like the idea of owning even if it costs me $200 extra per month. I figure most leases would run me $500 month which is $6,000/year pissed away. Maybe I can piss away $8500/year and own?

OP
OP

Eddiehaskell

Banned
Banned
First Name
Greggory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
  • Banned
BTW - I can’t find many used Gladiators within 300 miles for less than $40k...Sport models. Don’t those go for around $40k new?

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I’ve done well and I’m retired in my 30s. I’ve driven a Prius for the last 11 years.

I want to drive a different new/cool vehicle every year for the rest of my life!

How much would it cost me to start with a Gladiator and drive it one year? What trim holds value the best?

Purchase price = ?
1 year resell price = ?

My state tax rate is 3% on a vehicle so I’d like to figure that into my $8500 too.

Purchase price of vehicles is capped around $60,000.
I have always found that the top of the line vehicle will always have the best resale value as long as the vehicle is considered a desirable vehicle at time of sale. The only question then comes if you plan on using the Gladiator for pleasure, going off road and using it as it was designed to be used. If you are, you will soon be desiring all the add on parts available, making your vehicle more capable and even though these will add to your enjoyment of the vehicle.In the end, when you decide to sell, you will most likely not receive any added value to the vehicle for these add on's and according to how the vehicle is used could cost you more in the end

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package

Sponsored

SCJeeps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1952 M38, 2014 Grand Cherokee, 2015 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I’m thinking this is going to be tough with any car. Let’s do some math and go backwards with your values.
Let’s say you buy something for mid 50s, taxes are going to be ~1600. So now your down to 6900. Let’s add in insurance and call it $150/ month so that’s another 1800. Now you are down to 5100. So you would need to only lose 5100 in 1 year value. Typically 1st year depreciation is upwards of 20% on a standard car. While the Jeep will be better it would be a tall task to hit your numbers with any car. While it might sound good you’ll be giving away lots of money to try the scheme you have.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I just came in here to say what most of us are thinking: "I hate you." ;)
LOL, he had to drive a Prius for 11 years.

I'd rather work into my 60`s

And if his vehicle depreciation budget is $8500 a year, I'm thinking his idea of retirement and mine are entirely different.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Biggest hit on depreciation will be right when you drive it off the lot. Why not a 2 year lease?

Have you looked into the car share programs? Clubs offer membership where you can pick what car you want for the week and what have you. Porsche offers their “Passport” program, but at about triple the cost you’re talking about. Then again, it’s Porsche.

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
BTW - I can’t find many used Gladiators within 300 miles for less than $40k...Sport models. Don’t those go for around $40k new?
Wranglers are one of the few vehicles where it is smarter to buy it new all things considered. Whether Gladiators will be the same way is anyone's guess for now.

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
LOL, he had to drive a Prius for 11 years.

I'd rather work into my 60`s

And if his vehicle depreciation budget is $8500 a year, I'm thinking his idea of retirement and mine are entirely different.
The pure truth spoken by a Texas/Alaskan. No BS there!
Sponsored