no1marine

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
OK so I own a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition

Before I picked up the vehicle I had the 2" Mopar suspension kit installed and after I picked it up and after 1000 miles I put on Mickey Thompson 35" mudders with Black Rhino Armory wheels.

I now have 9000 miles on the vehicle and 8000 miles on the wheels and tires and I get my recall notice for the driveshaft. I drop it off at my local dealer (Which is not the dealer i bought it from and their service department sucks - if you live in or around Allentown, PA message me and I'll tell you which dealer it is).

That same day I pick up my vehicle with the new Aluminum and wider (the original factory driveshaft they are replacing was steel) driveshaft and not two miles from the dealer I hit a small bump and my transfer case starts vibrating and from the transfer case rearward vibrating BADLY!

So I drive it for another 2 miles and every time I hit a bump it starts to vibrate badly. I turn around and go back to the dealer and the first thing out of the service guys mouth is "its my tires"! I tell him I have had those tires on for 8000 miles with no problems but he swears its the tires. That was the day before New years and yesterday January 20 I just got my truck back!

So the next thing they do and Jeep tells them to do is put stock tires on the truck and see if that fixes the problem - when the only thing that has changed on the vehicle since it started vibrating badly is the driveshaft. So the idiots put on standard Jeep tires (Not even the 33" Faulker Mud tires that came on it, they put on standard size Jeep Wrangler tires and said that fixes the problem.

Well as you can imagine I go ape shit and tell them THAT IS NOT AN ADEQUATE representation/ test to do at a minimum they must do it with the stock tires IT CAME WITH - Not to mention the fact that Jeep put a 35" spare tire well under this truck anticipating that most will put 35" tires on them!

So after 10 days all they did was put small tires on it and I said NO WAY I am not picking up my truck until it has the proper drive shaft and my 35" tires and it performs like it did BEFORE the recall driveshaft was installed.

So after 10 days they finally put the ORIGINAL driveshaft back on the vehicle and "its a miracle" the vibration goes away!

Now Jeep corporate finally agrees its the driveshaft but they have none of the "new and improved - joking" driveshafts in stock so that takes another 10 days.

I am traveling for work so my wife picked up my truck yesterday so I am anxiously awaiting going home and driving it to make sure the issue is fixed.

What I will tell you is this:

1. Why go from a Steel to a thicker Aluminum driveshaft when Jeep corporate said the problem is a lubrication issue from the supplier who makes the shaft? Why the change in metallurgy when its supposed to be a lubrication issue?

2. Not sure if you know this but the Gladiator driveshaft has CV joints NOT U Joints! Are the U joints not more robust for offload applications?

Some thing about this whole driveshaft recall does not smell right!

I will keep you all more informed as I dig into this further!

Semper Fi!
Sponsored