Sponsored

Drove a Rubicon today, I may have changed my mind

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade
I went to check out and test drive a Rubicon today and now have doubts about getting one. I currently drive a 2018 Nissan Titan and the Gladiator felt really small to me. My wife has a 2012 Pathfinder and even though the specs say the Gladiator is larger inside, it felt smaller than it. One thing that might have made it feel small was the front windshield. I've waited for this truck forever and was really excited to finally check it out and but I kind of feel disappointed. After seeing it in person I am really impressed with the way it looks and the interior was really nice. I only got to drive a few miles because the salesman knew I had no intentions of buying it, but it drove nice. When the dealer that I usually deal with gets one in, I will be able to take a longer drive and spend more time actually in it, maybe my opinion will change.
Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I went to check out and test drive a Rubicon today and now have doubts about getting one. I currently drive a 2018 Nissan Titan and the Gladiator felt really small to me. My wife has a 2012 Pathfinder and even though the specs say the Gladiator is larger inside, it felt smaller than it. One thing that might have made it feel small was the front windshield. I've waited for this truck forever and was really excited to finally check it out and but I kind of feel disappointed. After seeing it in person I am really impressed with the way it looks and the interior was really nice. I only got to drive a few miles because the salesman knew I had no intentions of buying it, but it drove nice. When the dealer that I usually deal with gets one in, I will be able to take a longer drive and spend more time actually in it, maybe my opinion will change.
Yea... I don’t think you can compare a titan to the gladiator.

I actually got in a titan at the NY Auto show earlier this week. And it feels like a house! I mean that is a full size pickup. No comparison on space... until you take the top off, then, yes, the gladiator wins!

Bravo Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Tacoma
Even with a longer test drive, time in a gladiator will be a premium for a while. I wanted to get the feel for the interior space, seating position, road noise, head room, visibility, etc. so I rented a wrangler on vacation. In most respects a gladiator will be the same or better. With the exception of acceleration probably. Gave me a good chance to live with the Jeep idiosyncrasies and decide before a real financial commitment. I would really recommend it, it removed any doubt I had about getting one. Just make sure it’s a JL or it’s a waste of time, but renting one a day or two would be a small investment for a piece of mind.

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
Even with a longer test drive, time in a gladiator will be a premium for a while. I wanted to get the feel for the interior space, seating position, road noise, head room, visibility, etc. so I rented a wrangler on vacation. In most respects a gladiator will be the same or better. With the exception of acceleration probably. Gave me a good chance to live with the Jeep idiosyncrasies and decide before a real financial commitment. I would really recommend it, it removed any doubt I had about getting one. Just make sure it’s a JL or it’s a waste of time, but renting one a day or two would be a small investment for a piece of mind.
I managed to do the same for a drive from Nashville to Indy....the problem came when my wife stole the keys the next morning and drove it to work. Next thing I know, she’s got it loaded down with teachers somehow making a mid-day run for “supplies” from Walmart...smh. NOW the woman that just HAD to trade her JKU for a minivan wants a JL. That one day rental on the company credit card could end up costing me a lot.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Could have sat in a Wrangler JL to have gotten the basic gist of the interior ergonomics and space. It's really a box on wheels and the interior is no different. Wrangler and the Gladiator are not going to be all things to all people.

Bravo Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Tacoma
Yeah you could just sit in one, but if you can’t afford to rent a Wrangler a few days to see what it’s like living with one. You probably have no business buying a 50 thousand-ish Gladiator.

IceAge

First Name
Garey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2018
I own the JL Jeep Rubicons and as many here I am interested in the Gladiator. I would say a person who owns a full size truck trying to compare the two won’t work. Kinda like comparing the Jeep JL to a Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expedition...etc just not in the same league and use agenda. If your a truck nut lover full size can’t see the Gladiator being able to replace your happiness.
And here’s my JL’s and I will wait patiently to see the after market options and hopefully dealer incentives down the road.
676A3F61-F5BA-4B3C-B8BF-8D9D651E6B40.jpeg

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The reason the JL/JT feel so small is because of the width. The body is designed to basically fit inside the track width instead of on top of the track width like most 4x4s. That's what gives it the prowess offroad and the ability to avoid a lot of body damage. But the flip side is the interior is very cramped. There isn't much hip and shoulder room, and unfortunately the JL/JT are nearly 2" narrower than the outgoing JK model so the lack of space got even worse.

Having said that I think the average person can get used to it after a while. Tall guys like me still struggle with it, but the unique features of the vehicle are worth the trade-off for most people.

dgreen1069

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Excursion, 2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat, 2014 Harley CVO Limited
I’ve been pretty excited about the Gladiator since it was announced. I had a 2015 JKU Rubicon that I liked but did not love. I sold it to a buddy and leased a Charger Hellcat. My lease is up in 8 months and I thought the Gladiator would be my next vehicle. Seeing it at the car show, I was a little disappointed. It looks awesome, but for its length it does seem a bit cramped. I jumped into a few Ram 1500 and 2500’s, and for less money they offer a lot more.

I still have time to make up my mind, but the Gladiator isn’t jumping out at me the way I thought it would. I saw one today at the dealer and had the same concerns about size. I don’t see a lot of cross shoppers choosing the Gladiator with its tight interior and premium price tag. People who love the Wrangler but need a bit more versatility will choose the Gladiator, but anyone cross shopping may land in a competitors mid or full size for less money.

Sponsored

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
The reason the JL/JT feel so small is because of the width. The body is designed to basically fit inside the track width instead of on top of the track width like most 4x4s. That's what gives it the prowess offroad and the ability to avoid a lot of body damage. But the flip side is the interior is very cramped. There isn't much hip and shoulder room, and unfortunately the JL/JT are nearly 2" narrower than the outgoing JK model so the lack of space got even worse.

Having said that I think the average person can get used to it after a while. Tall guys like me still struggle with it, but the unique features of the vehicle are worth the trade-off for most people.
The nice thing about it is it only feels cramped for half the year depending on where you live. In CA I could pop the doors off now through Sept and probably not get it wet at all.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The nice thing about it is it only feels cramped for half the year depending on where you live. In CA I could pop the doors off now through Sept and probably not get it wet at all.
Yep gotta' love that Mediterranean climate. Very rare in the U.S.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel

Average size guy thinks the JK has tons of room.

lucky7t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JK Rubicon 4dr, 15 JK Sport 4dr
I appreciate the feedback but confused a bit. The jk, jl has been out for many years and is basically the same cockpit . Have you never sat in one of those prior to the gladiator ?

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon JT, 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales Director Alloy Wheel Repair
I rented a Wrangler recently. Great idea. Really let me know what a current Wrangler is like. All good.
Sponsored