Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0, 2012 jk
Occupation
Military
I'm having issues deciding between the eco diesel in a willys trim or max tow,

Arguments for I really want a diesel

Arguments against we are looking at a 5200 lb trailer dry and its really pushing that weight capacity for the diesel tow rating.

Thoughts for and against?

Should we go with the diesel or max tow,
With saving the money on not going diesel I also would basically get to throw every package on there and be the same price as what I was looking at for the diesel
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Arguments against we are looking at a 5200 lb trailer dry and its really pushing that weight capacity for the diesel tow rating.

With saving the money on not going diesel I also would basically get to throw every package on there and be the same price as what I was looking at for the diesel
There are other threads that have similar concerns.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/diesel-vs-max-tow.35539/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...traded-my-max-tow-for-eco-diesel.38880/unread

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
My knee jerk reaction is that you should make your towing requirements the priority when you're that close to maxing out even the Max Tow when loaded. A 5,200 lb dry weight will easily reach over 7,000 lbs once you get all the people, water, gear, and food loaded up. I don't like to get that close to max capacity. Allowing some wiggle room there makes for a much more enjoyable trip.

OP
OP

Dyzard

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0, 2012 jk
Occupation
Military

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dyzard

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0, 2012 jk
Occupation
Military
My knee jerk reaction is that you should make your towing requirements the priority when you're that close to maxing out even the Max Tow when loaded. A 5,200 lb dry weight will easily reach over 7,000 lbs once you get all the people, water, gear, and food loaded up. I don't like to get that close to max capacity. Allowing some wiggle room there makes for a much more enjoyable trip.
Yeah you're not wrong I was wanting to stay around 4500 at most because hitch weight and payload capacity. I think that's better stick with the diesel want and find a good trailer around 4500 lbs instead of going max tow

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator; '74 PowerWagon; '86 Taco C-frame
Occupation
Drugs
Max tow bro here. Love it.

The diesel is only a 4k option I believe. That's not terrible but it is also not insignificant.

My opinion is that Mopar didn't do enough to beef up the truck to take advantage of the diesel. Should have been a slam dunk and the only conversation we would be having is "increased price worth it?" And not worry about the technical limitations.

Smarter people than I have said that cooling was the issue. So perhaps you could add some modifications down the line to improve the cooling IF it is ever actually an issue.

I hope this helps with your decision.

Russ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport s
Occupation
Educator
I cannot help you with the diesel part . I can offer some towing advice with a max tow. I just bought a man cave toy hauler. It weighs 4000k +change. I put about 1000lbs in quads and another 200 or 300 lbs in food and clothing and 60 gallons of water. I towed from Sacramento to Fallon NV with a gas Max Tow. A steady climb to 7800 ft. All can say between 3000 and 4500 rpms it just chugs. I pulled it at 65 over donner pass. I felt the 5500lbs was no problem to pull and the oil, tranny, and water temps stayed completely normal. I would say a 5k trailer would be totally doable with a set of torsion bars and a anti-swaybar on a gas max tow. Good luck in your choice.

IMG_0721(1).jpg

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
the max tow bros will tell you all day long that they’ve got un unstoppable beast. if you care about towing and don’t like life above 4500 RPM get the diesel
I have an unstoppable beast!

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The question is are you going to be more happy pulling a travel trailer that you want, legally, with a max tow, OR a travel trailer you will likely not be happy with and the diesel.

I went with the max tow and I’m happy with it. I’m also really happy I have the travel trailer I wanted. I only pull it 5-6 times max a year. Does it pull like a 3500? Nope.

With either the diesel or max tow you are going to be pulling for safety, not to win a race. Should you be going much over 60 mph? Probably not with either. Yes the diesel might excel a little off the line, or up a steep pass. There is a REASON the max tow has higher capacities, but someone is always going to argue the point.

OP
OP

Dyzard

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0, 2012 jk
Occupation
Military
I think good points are being made for both sides, I do respect the fact that the max tow was pretty much made to be the towing one, but I've also seen that people who swapped from max tow to the diesel enjoy the diesel more.

And I've found a few 4500-4800 camper trailers I thought were pretty nice so let's look at that if I'm at 4800 dry let's add 500 for food clothes, gear etc. That puts me at 5300 so let's say 530 for tongue weight. That's half my payload already and not counting if I add bumpers armor etc. Which I do want to do eventually it is a jeep after all.

My overall goal is to have something I can tow a decent trailer with for the wife and I, I'd more than likely be in the truck by myself and she'd be in her jeep. So can even out loads there too. So some towing and camping but I also want a jeep because I miss the jeep life myself and wanted to get back into it and get back on the trails so I also want to do upgrades and such granted I'll be looking for lightweight options. But if that helps the argument at all thats my goal, daily driver weekend wheeler and vacation camper

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think good points are being made for both sides, I do respect the fact that the max tow was pretty much made to be the towing one, but I've also seen that people who swapped from max tow to the diesel enjoy the diesel more.

And I've found a few 4500-4800 camper trailers I thought were pretty nice so let's look at that if I'm at 4800 dry let's add 500 for food clothes, gear etc. That puts me at 5300 so let's say 530 for tongue weight. That's half my payload already and not counting if I add bumpers armor etc. Which I do want to do eventually it is a jeep after all.

My overall goal is to have something I can tow a decent trailer with for the wife and I, I'd more than likely be in the truck by myself and she'd be in her jeep. So can even out loads there too. So some towing and camping but I also want a jeep because I miss the jeep life myself and wanted to get back into it and get back on the trails so I also want to do upgrades and such granted I'll be looking for lightweight options. But if that helps the argument at all thats my goal, daily driver weekend wheeler and vacation camper
Keep on mind it’s really payload that gets you before max towing. Most WDHs are over 100 lbs. two adults... 400-450 easy. Hitch weight... I my experience it’s more like 15% because many TT’s have the passthrough storage in the front. That extra 300-400 in payload makes a big difference. By the time you add supplies to that truck, and food, grills, extra propane ... adds up quick.

A variance between 10-15% in tongue weight could easily put you over the payload for the diesel. I ended up going with a hitch receiver on my TT and added a back basket to distribute the weight evenly over the axel (between from cargo and rear hitch storage).
Sponsored