Sponsored

Ecodiesel Derating issue tracking thread - also please post if NO issues!

My experience with derating (losing power) on the ecodiesel has been:

• Installed an external oil cooler and has lessened derating

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Installed an external oil cooler and has not made a difference on derating

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PJZ

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD AEV370
Build Thread
Link
Hello,
@Zybane created an informative poll/tracker that helps frame the eco diesel experience.
PMd with him and came up with this sister poll on derating.

Have you experienced, or not experienced, derating when towing, not towing or if you installed an oil cooler?

Thought this was a good start.
If we get a lot of responses we can dig deeper on the situations that cause derating (weight of rig, tire size, weight of trailer, speeds, altitude, and so on)

Cheers
Sponsored

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
Im just under 2k miles on my 22 JTRD and is has not derated yet, but I haven't towed anything yet. It does however get pretty hot, oil temps in the mid 230* range just driving around town or on freeway with 80* ambient temps. If it derates I plan on running the insane diesel filter with a small active cooler on a manual switch. Just need to find a place for it!

Reactions: PJZ

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
No derate. Have 3,000 miles on my JTRD. Bone stock motor and no towing. Coolant temps stay around 206F, and the oil temps 210F for the most part. The highest I've seen was when I went up a 3 mile grade at 70+ mph. Coolant was 220f and oil was 240F at the top. Temp that day was around 85F.

OP
OP
PJZ

PJZ

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD AEV370
Build Thread
Link
Just over 1k miles so still early for me. No issues and am waiting to tow until the motor has some miles on it. Also need to remove the giant AEV lights in the grill

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
37's and Mopar lift and 10,000 miles.

I've towed a 3,500-4,000lbsish boat to Houston from Las Vegas and back, no issues.

Albeit, I have not been in a desert summer quite yet. Highest outside temps I've seen are in the 90's with the oil temps in the 240-250's while towing up steepish grades.

Sponsored

KW80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Ltd, 2021 JT Sport S Diesel
Never experienced a derate event in 11k miles of ownership, neither normal driving nor towing (up to 5k lbs). I also haven’t pushed things to the extreme in 100+ degree temps or serious grades but have seen oil temps in the mid 240s when towing. In addition, while towing I mostly shift manually and monitor temps (oil, egr, etc.) to maintain a balance between speed and engine demand.

I have no doubt that a derate would happen to me as well in extreme circumstances or continually staying in the boost while towing. The JT cooling system just isn’t designed with a high safety margin in stock configuration, so the driver has to actively monitor/manage the system and make conservative choices especially when towing. Until there are aftermarket performance cooling options, it is what it is, if you want the EcoD, that’s the compromise you have to make.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Never had any issues with either of mine. 43k miles on one, 13k on the other

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
JT seems to partially derate when oil temps hit 250ish... I'm getting to 267 pulling the camper up grades in WV-Western Maryland. Dropping to 45-50mph
Camper - 3400 dry 3800lb as towed
JT- 37s, 3" lift, and another 300Lbs in the bed.
ambient temps 75-79F

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
JT seems to partially derate when oil temps hit 250ish... I'm getting to 267 pulling the camper up grades in WV-Western Maryland. Dropping to 45-50mph
Camper - 3400 dry 3800lb as towed
JT- 37s, 3" lift, and another 300Lbs in the bed.
ambient temps 75-79F

Partially?

I have hit 260+ with mine going uphill at the speed limiter with my banks derringer "testing".

seems that ambient temps dont do much but I have seen the air intake temps push 300+!

• Wow

ParatusExpeditions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Changed my vote since I had a full derate il believe (25-30mph max). Load in the bed (camper), uphill, outside temp at 107F. I believe at this time the oil temp was 244F though, which would be less that what you guys have seen. I could have this part wrong.

Sponsored

Curtjeep

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD Overland
Never debated, have towed quite heavy ( for my gladiator) 31' camper, 5700# with my wife and I in the truck. However, it was from FL to NC and back... So no real hills. Just 100° days. I am concerned though. My metal cloak fenders are going on this weekend and 37's in the very near future. I have a ram 3500, but don't want to take 2 vehicles when we go on offloading trips.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Wanted to document my first issue with derating/exhaust system issue, over an accumulated 91k miles (between 2 jeeps) behind the ecodiesel!

It was 110°outside, I was going 82mph (cruise control on), coolant temp climbed to 238, oil temp to 246, Trans temp 201... 60 miles East of Roswell NM.

At this point I had been driving a continuous 7 hours straight with the exception of one fuel stop.

While holding at 82mph I had a sudden loss of power, and dash lights come on.

ESS, CEL, and the Lightning Bolt as well as message "Exhaust System Service Required, See Dealer". The Jeep wouldn't allow me to increase speed at all, but I was able to maintain speeds on flat ground. Going uphill would slow me down and never go back up until I went downhill or got back on level ground.

I limped it the last 60 miles to Roswell in 5th gear (manual mode) to jeep the rpms up in hopes of forcing a regen.

When I arrived in Roswell I let it cool down for a bit, checked for water in the fuel (none found), and then used my Tazer to pull codes as well as reset them all.

After hanging out there for about an hour, I turned it back on and carried on my way as planned. No more issues the rest of the trip, though, the Jeep would get pretty hot. This was about 600 miles into my trip, trip total finished around 2,800 miles over 10 days.

Temperatures averaged
Coolant: 210-232
Oil: 225-244
Trans: 197-201

I have had no issues with derating or power loss since.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
That sounds related to the the wiring issue that has been pointed out a few times.

I derate when oil hits 268, but it’s silent, no dash lights etc…

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Wanted to document my first issue with derating/exhaust system issue, over an accumulated 91k miles (between 2 jeeps) behind the ecodiesel!

It was 110°outside, I was going 82mph (cruise control on), coolant temp climbed to 238, oil temp to 246, Trans temp 201... 60 miles East of Roswell NM.

At this point I had been driving a continuous 7 hours straight with the exception of one fuel stop.

While holding at 82mph I had a sudden loss of power, and dash lights come on.

ESS, CEL, and the Lightning Bolt as well as message "Exhaust System Service Required, See Dealer". The Jeep wouldn't allow me to increase speed at all, but I was able to maintain speeds on flat ground. Going uphill would slow me down and never go back up until I went downhill or got back on level ground.

I limped it the last 60 miles to Roswell in 5th gear (manual mode) to jeep the rpms up in hopes of forcing a regen.

When I arrived in Roswell I let it cool down for a bit, checked for water in the fuel (none found), and then used my Tazer to pull codes as well as reset them all.

After hanging out there for about an hour, I turned it back on and carried on my way as planned. No more issues the rest of the trip, though, the Jeep would get pretty hot. This was about 600 miles into my trip, trip total finished around 2,800 miles over 10 days.

Temperatures averaged
Coolant: 210-232
Oil: 225-244
Trans: 197-201

I have had no issues with derating or power loss since.
Do you still have all the OEM foam insulation crap and trim cover installed?

If so, remove all the crap and see if the derate goes away.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Do you still have all the OEM foam insulation crap and trim cover installed?

If so, remove all the crap and see if the derate goes away.
I do for sure, I haven't needed to pull it out since I never had any issues until now.

I attributed most of it to be being hot AF outside as well as going fast for a long period of time
Sponsored