Sponsored

Ecodiesel essential

Westward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad (wifes) 1995 Chevy C1500 B3.3T swap NV4500 Trans, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel (on order)
Occupation
Jake from State Farm
Hello, first time posting other than declaring my jt ecodiesel had finally arrived in October, anyhow if you own an ecodiesel and already know about modern diesels and have engine monitoring tech than you can ignore this post. If you are a newby to the diesel world and jeep ecodiesels than listen closely, diesel engines today are complex and the manufacturers do not really have enough info gouges on exhaust gas Temps, dpf temp, dpf pressure etc. You can buy an expensive cts gauge cluster ($400) or you can buy a obd 2 Bluetooth reader on Amazon that plus into your obd port and have it send important data through a torque app on your smartphone that is very customizable and has many optional monitoring displays. You don't need the most expensive obd reader, I think mine was $30 and the torque app was $5 I think, I have had it for awhile. I always watch my exhaust Temps go down to a safe level before shutting the engine down or if I'm not going to be gone long from the jeep I just leave it running and lock it. I have some pics so you can see my setup. It's the cheapest way to go for monitoring regens and making sure your not going to cook your turbo by starving it from oil when you shut your engine off. I have the 67 designs single ball mount and it is the best mount I have ever had for my phone, props to them for making a quality product! In addition you do not have to be a tech guru to use the app and reader, just plug the reader in the obd port and pair it with your phone and open the app and start customizing. You will love being able to view all the tech data it provides!

20201130_121227.jpg

20201130_121215.jpg

20201130_121220.jpg
Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I agree there are lots of things drivers can do to help out the health of the engine. Warming the engine before loading it and cooling a hot turbo before shut down(which the coolant pump now continues after the vehicle is off).
What additional concerns do you have?
What potential issues are you monitoring for?

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
Thx for the info. I don't have a JTD yet and have read a few threads on this topics... Would be great if some one could provide some insight/guidance as to what exactly you are looking for, watching out for, temp ranges, % ranges. What to do if the # come up, down, how to prevent, etc...

OP
OP
Westward

Westward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad (wifes) 1995 Chevy C1500 B3.3T swap NV4500 Trans, 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel (on order)
Occupation
Jake from State Farm
I do like to let the Temps cool down to at least 350 or below to prevent cooking except for the egt bank 1 sensor 3 which is the one that gets around 1000 degrees when there is a regen going on, you don't want to shut your engine down when that's cooking. I also have changed the oil early around 450 miles because I don't trust Mopar break-in oil to be the best quality, and switched to motul x-clean 5w40, its much cheaper than Mopar oil and I buy the oem filter online way cheaper than the dealer price.

OP
OP
Westward

Westward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jake from State Farm
I meant coking in the last post, darn autocorrect

Sponsored

OP
OP
Westward

Westward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jake from State Farm
I may be wrong but I don't think the ecodiesel has a water pump that runs when the engine is shut off. It does have a def fluid pump that pumps Def back to the storage tank when the engine is shut down. Motor oil is the life blood of a turbo, when you shut the engine off without letting the turbo cool and wind down from spinning at high rpms it shortens the life span. I have owned many turbo charged diesels mostly old school non emissions engines and have always practiced letting them idle for at least five minutes after running then at operating Temps and have never had a failure of any kind. I once did have a 2010 vw tdi that had a wiring problem that caused it to shut down at random but never a mechanical issue. I know modern diesels are complex machines but I wouldn't trade for a gas version for anything! I guess I'm a diesel geek lol, I have been around them my whole life and am passionate about diesels and the performance they provide with the mpg advantage. The ecodiesels torque band reminds me of the old 4.0 litre until you put your right foot down and whoa momma hold on cause your going to move on down the road in a hurry and still get in the 20s in mpg.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Has anyone determined if the range of the diesel is greater than the the same, gasoline-powered JT? I know the ecodiesel gets better MPG, but I also understand the fuel tank is smaller to allow for the DEF tank. Not sure what the trade off is there.

F3Orangeman

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTOD, ’02 F-150 SCrew
Occupation
Stay-at-Home Financial Analyst (thanks to COVID)
Has anyone determined if the range of the diesel is greater than the the same, gasoline-powered JT? I know the ecodiesel gets better MPG, but I also understand the fuel tank is smaller to allow for the DEF tank. Not sure what the trade off is there.
I did a little math based on the 2021 FCA spec sheet.

3.6 Gas 22 gal tank, 19 mpg combined = 418 miles per tank
3.0 Diesel 18.3 gal tank, 24 (22 JTRD) mpg combined = 440 (403 JTRD) miles per tank

JLMOPARMAN

First Name
JAson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JLU Rubicon

3.0 Diesel 18.3 gal tank, 24 (22 JTRD) mpg combined = 440 (403 JTRD) miles per tank
Even when my 3.6 overland was stock I didn't get even close to 20 on the highway, more like 18. Combined stock I was in the 16 range.

Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee

Thanks!

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Hi,
Question on these temps - how do I know if I have let it idle long enough to cool the turbo enough?

I do like to let the Temps cool down to at least 350 or below to prevent cooking except for the egt bank 1 sensor 3 which is the one that gets around 1000 degrees when there is a regen going on, you don't want to shut your engine down when that's cooking. I also have changed the oil early around 450 miles because I don't trust Mopar break-in oil to be the best quality, and switched to motul x-clean 5w40, its much cheaper than Mopar oil and I buy the oem filter online way cheaper than the dealer price.
Also - would it be a good idea to install an additional oil cooler - say up front in place of this air dam - hell even putting in deflectors to force the air up might be of help...
Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel essential IMG_013954.JPG
Sponsored