Ecodiesel Gladiator Spotted in MI showing diesel and DEF fillers

reedred

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geraldine
My friend Andy sent me this pic from his commute this morning. Not sure why there's no fuel door other than to keep us excited... :)

Jeep Gladiator Diesel.jpg
Sponsored

JTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
Nice to see them showing up stateside now!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
DEF tank. Boooo. I wonder if those regen cycles will be a PITA like they are on the GM midsize trucks?

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
It's almost like they did that on purpose "hey let's leave the door off so people can definitely tell this is a diesel"...

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
All part of the inexpensive viral marketing plan. I'm sure it's on purpose.

Even the camo to make you look.

They could have run one around fully undisguised with a fuel door on and no one would have noticed unless they heard it and a picture wouldn't prove it.

Sponsored

Joe333x

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 6sp
its funny that anyone even buys a truck under a 2500 that has a def tank, I understand if you need the diesel for towing something big but even this jeep diesel tows less than the gas, costs more and will cost more to fuel and maintain and with the epa regs it will be clogged with soot at 100k miles so really no reason to even want a diesel since you'll never make up the cost difference through mileage. this is coming from someone who owned a diesel and loved it but it was an 06, anything after 06 has been ruined by the EPA.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
If someone doesn’t want a diesel, I wonder why they would come into a diesel thread and talk about how much they don’t want one? If there was no market for them, Jeep would not n all likelihood not be selling them ...

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
its funny that anyone even buys a truck under a 2500 that has a def tank, I understand if you need the diesel for towing something big but even this jeep diesel tows less than the gas, costs more and will cost more to fuel and maintain and with the epa regs it will be clogged with soot at 100k miles so really no reason to even want a diesel since you'll never make up the cost difference through mileage. this is coming from someone who owned a diesel and loved it but it was an 06, anything after 06 has been ruined by the EPA.

To paraphrase a familiar saying..

“You wouldn’t understand. It’s a Jeep Ecodiesel thing.”

The power and mileage is worth it to me and I have had diesels for over 20 years...

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
To paraphrase a familiar saying..

“You wouldn’t understand. It’s a Jeep Ecodiesel thing.”

The power and mileage is worth it to me and I have had diesels for over 20 years...
This. The #1 reason I want the diesel is driveability, not to save money, not to even tow more. Just better all around torque to get it out of its own way, and longer ranges between fueling. After driving a JKU for 6 years now Im ready for something that gets out of its own way.

Lastly the diesel will not be affected as much as a gasser with mods (larger tires, steel bumpers, etc)

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I just rented an Exploder to drive 6 hrs one-way, range = 360 mi per tank (per the computer). I can get Literally Twice that in my eco GC. Even w/ winter blend.

Sponsored

Joe333x

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 6sp
trust me I love the range of a diesel, i had an 06 Jetta TDI and could go 650 miles on a tank and would get 45-50mpg plus it was a stick and fun to drive but it was also released before ULSD became standard and before the EPA ruined everything. Todays diesel actually have to give you less power and less mileage in order to create less pollution. Unless you retune and eliminate the EGRs all that soot thats not going out the tail pipe is now clogging up your engine. Its obviously a free market and if you want one you should buy one but to me unless you're eliminating the EGR and DEF tank its a waste in my opinion.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
This. The #1 reason I want the diesel is driveability, not to save money, not to even tow more. Just better all around torque to get it out of its own way, and longer ranges between fueling. After driving a JKU for 6 years now Im ready for something that gets out of its own way.

Lastly the diesel will not be affected as much as a gasser with mods (larger tires, steel bumpers, etc)
Me too..... although I have 4.56 gears and can be amazing in traffic, it sux getting 16-17mpg

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Since none of you guys called me out I will correct myself. I was doing some reading on exactly how DEF works and it seems I had it wrong. I had heard in the past that it was higher EGT that resulted in less active regen cycles but I was wrong. I was able to learn through my research that the engine can be tuned to run at maximum efficiency with the SCR system in place. Diesel engines can either be configured to produce lower NOx through EGR which creates much more particulate matter to get trapped in the DPF. On the other hand it can be configured to run at maximum efficiency which creates much more NOx and much less particulate matter. With the first configuration, like my 6.4 Powerstroke, massive EGR results in the DPF filling up much faster requiring an active regen cycle if the engine is not working hard enough to maintain continuous passive regen. The second scenario with SCR, like my 6.7 Powerstroke, was programmed for maximum efficiency without regard of NOx production and then the DEF is sprayed into the exhaust stream to convert the NOx into nitrogen and water.

The DEF system was much more advantageous than an EGR system because nothing needs to be done to the engine itself, all emission treatments are performed in the exhaust.

This is one of the sources that I found that explains the differences pretty clearly. I would say that CASE/IH is a pretty reliable source.
https://www.caseih.com/northamerica/en-us/innovations/efficient-power/scr-technology

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Since none of you guys called me out I will correct myself. I was doing some reading on exactly how DEF works and it seems I had it wrong. I had heard in the past that it was higher EGT that resulted in less active regen cycles but I was wrong. I was able to learn through my research that the engine can be tuned to run at maximum efficiency with the SCR system in place. Diesel engines can either be configured to produce lower NOx through EGR which creates much more particulate matter to get trapped in the DPF. On the other hand it can be configured to run at maximum efficiency which creates much more NOx and much less particulate matter. With the first configuration, like my 6.4 Powerstroke, massive EGR results in the DPF filling up much faster requiring an active regen cycle if the engine is not working hard enough to maintain continuous passive regen. The second scenario with SCR, like my 6.7 Powerstroke, was programmed for maximum efficiency without regard of NOx production and then the DEF is sprayed into the exhaust stream to convert the NOx into nitrogen and water.

The DEF system was much more advantageous than an EGR system because nothing needs to be done to the engine itself, all emission treatments are performed in the exhaust.

This is one of the sources that I found that explains the differences pretty clearly. I would say that CASE/IH is a pretty reliable source.
https://www.caseih.com/northamerica/en-us/innovations/efficient-power/scr-technology
did you just call yourself out? lol

Thanks for the info about DEF and EGR.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link

Call you out? I spent ten minutes googling to understand. Take away? Being a diesel guy is rough, they are hard to get, come with a bunch of stuff you may not want. It sucks to be serious about torque and power, want a diesel, and have what you describe ^ as your only options. Go resto!!!!
Sponsored