Sponsored

Ecodiesel Max Tow

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
I did some searching. So eco diesel is not available with the max tow package? I have a 3800lb travel trailer. The Ecodiesel interests me with the higher mpg and torque. But will it tow as well as a sport s with max tow? What will I be missing with eco diesel and no max tow?
Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I seem to remember it being said that the ecodiesel has the widetrack axles. That was the biggest differance in the Max Tow. Would make it kind of redundant other then the sticker in the doorjam

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The limitation is the cooling system. There is not enough room for the proper sized cooling components to increase the rated towing capacity with the diesel engine. The Max Tow is rated at 7650 pounds for towing capacity with the gas engine. The diesel is limited to 6500 pounds. The other models are rated around 6000 pounds with the gas engine and the regular tow package. There's a chart somewhere that shows the official rating for each model/transmission combination with the gas engine.

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
Towing 6500lbs with the diesel will probably be significantly more enjoyable than with the V6.. Even though the ED has less tow capacity it will probably tow better than the v6 up to that capacity.. If you are towing 7000+lbs consistently, you probably want a different truck.

OP
OP
marcwithac

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
Towing 6500lbs with the diesel will probably be significantly more enjoyable than with the V6.. Even though the ED has less tow capacity it will probably tow better than the v6 up to that capacity.. If you are towing 7000+lbs consistently, you probably want a different truck.
Thats what I was wondering. I think max tow comes with upgraded rear springs? Not sure if that's a big deal or not.

Sponsored

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Thats what I was wondering. I think max tow comes with upgraded rear springs? Not sure if that's a big deal or not.
Max tow does have stiffer springs in the rear but a set of air bags can make up for that difference if aired up while you are towing. I did read the ecoDiesel springs are 10% stiffer to compensate for the added weight but I do not know if that is just up front or at all 4 corners.

OP
OP
marcwithac

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
It seems like everyone is getting pretty worked up about the payload capacity of the eco diesel. Will I be ok with my 3800lb trailer + My wife and I and dog in the jeep and few things in the box?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It seems like everyone is getting pretty worked up about the payload capacity of the eco diesel. Will I be ok with my 3800lb trailer + My wife and I and dog in the jeep and few things in the box?
Should not be a problem. That's well within its advertised capability, providing it's ordered with a Tow Package.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Everybody looking at seriously towing with a Gladiator, especially with a diesel Gladiator, should watch this video.

Yesterday I saw a guy on the Facebook group post his JT Rubicon EcoDiesel towing a 6,500 lb. boat with 850 lbs. of people and gear in the truck. He was SEVERELY overloaded and illegal. There's a lot more to towing than the "tow rating" printed in the manual!

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everybody looking at seriously towing with a Gladiator, especially with a diesel Gladiator, should watch this video.

Yesterday I saw a guy on the Facebook group post his JT Rubicon EcoDiesel towing a 6,500 lb. boat with 850 lbs. of people and gear in the truck. He was SEVERELY overloaded and illegal. There's a lot more to towing than the "tow rating" printed in the manual!

Overloaded? Yes. Illegal? Technically yes. Severely? not quite.

At 12580 GCW he was only 4% over the advertised GCWR of 12100 yet a WDH and load adjusted properly would still get him below the combined GAWRs for the load on the truck.

All that being said it is still below the GCWR of the 'Max Tow' which technically has a weaker front axle.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Does anyone know for sure if the eco diesel has the wider track axles?

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Illegal... what law is being broken ?
Towing above the GCWR/GVWR is not specifically illegal in the weight ranges we are discussing with the Gladiator (sub 10k trailers and sub 26k GCWR). The law comes in when something happens because you can be negligent as it is your responsibility to know the limits of your vehicle. There may be specific states where they concern themselves with weight enforcement of non-commercial vehicles in regards to registered weight but that really depends on your state.

Longhorn

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited (JLU)
Occupation
Chief Technology Officer
BTT for the OP's original question:

Is the EcoDiesel available with the Max Tow Package (in any trim) in order to get the Heavy-Duty Dana 44 Wide axles?

If I select this package when building a Sport S the configurator forces me to de-select the diesel. I didn't think 4.10 gears were available for the diesel so this isn't a huge surprise.

Is there a trim where the Max Tow package can be added with 3.73 gears to the diesel?

If not does the diesel already include the wide axles? I haven't seen this definitely answered either, although I believe they are the M210 front and M220 rear in the narrower width based on something I read on the JL forum.

Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel Max Tow 1607404372657

Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel Max Tow 1607404417442

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BTT for the OP's original question:

Is the EcoDiesel available with the Max Tow Package (in any trim) in order to get the Heavy-Duty Dana 44 Wide axles?

If I select this package when building a Sport S the configurator forces me to de-select the diesel. I didn't think 4.10 gears were available for the diesel so this isn't a huge surprise.

Is there a trim where the Max Tow package can be added with 3.73 gears to the diesel?

If not does the diesel already include the wide axles? I haven't seen this definitely answered either, although I believe they are the M210 front and M220 rear in the narrower width based on something I read on the JL forum.

You cannot get the Diesel engine with the Max Tow package. You can get the Standard Tow Package with the Diesel engine.
Sponsored